Edwin Najmi, Flying Triangle Choke Tutorial

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Hey guys, finally decided to make a video on how I do the flying triangle. Hope you all enjoy it!

Man I studied the hell out of this and tried it. I Koed myself. :( The guy just dropped down with me.

I saw the thread title and rolled my eyes. Then I saw who was posting it and got excited!

Thanks for the video! What is it about that setup that makes it easy to jump into the actual triangle position, rather than him having both his arms up and it just being a jumping closed guard, or both his arms down and this becoming a jumping...nothing? I would have expected a flying triangle setup to be some way of getting one of his arms down and one arm up so the triangle position becomes easy, but here you're just snapping him down.

I know it works for you (absolute finals at purple), but do you ever end up just regular jumping closed guard with this setup?

I've been waiting for this since you posted your flying triangle highlight video. So far I've succesfully slapped 4 of them in training. Let's see if this can improve after the tutorial. Watching now.

Thanks guys, definitely sometimes you just land in closed guard..which isn't too bad. I like this setup because it's really hard for your opponent to know whats coming instead of the normal flying set ups when you're holding a wrist or have an underhook/overhook.

Saw Najmi hit this twice yesterday at the SF Open in the 2 matches of his that I watched.

Ok so I've been drilling this set-up more after watching the tutorial and attempted it during randori. Unfortunately one guy said his knee was hurt so I didn't risk jumping on him, two guys pulled guard pretty fast and the last one kept putting both hands on each of my lapels.

How would you deal with this? I need both my hands to break a lapel grip usually, so I have to release my own lapel grip. It seems that this would work only when the opponent doesnt grip with the far hand, attempts to break your lapel grip or attempts to grip the sleave. Do you just forego this setup when they grip like that, or you have some additional strategies?

I like the setup

HalfAncientCottontail.gif

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support. I think I hit 2 at the SF OPEN last week. Here's a clip of one of them.

I'll post the other one here too when I get the video

Back