Effective Aikido?

Demonstrations ≠ Sparring
The karate guy got injured, so it wasn't exactly a demonstration.
In the video posted by Cheachea, I don't see neither aikido and nor submission grappling.

Most styles don't practice against a resistant UKE. Shodokan (also known as tomiki) does. As we have competition, and as we would like to win these competitions, letting yourself be thrown around is somewhat counter-productive. So the techniques based in our Randori no Kata are all perfectly viable as throws, takedowns and pins against a resistant opponent. We train for competitions and at different levels of resistance in order to perfect technique and to learn what is useful and what is not depending on the size of your opponent, positioning, counter throws and locks etc etc

So in the end a lot of throws end up like Judo style throws, and the pins and locks while not fight winning are good for restraining without injuring you or your opponent. Which is the basis of Aikidio, and as such the techniques and principles are adopted by Police forces worldwide for restraining the Saturday nights would be tough guy. and please don't start that shit "...but but.. against a guy with training!" in my experience I've never seen a fellow martial artist start any shit. End shit yes, but never start shit.
People who want to rip Aikido always pretend like Tomiki Aikido doesn't exist.

Regular Aikido/Aikijujutsu is effective in Kendo/Kenjutsu kind of stuff. While Tomiki is effective in Grappling.

The karate guy got injured, so it wasn't exactly a demonstration.
In the video posted by Cheachea, I don't see neither aikido and nor submission grappling.

It was a scripted demonstration where someone who's not exactly athletic managed to hurt himself, which isn't particularly surprising. Gotta have "martial" in your martial arts, otherwise it's just LARPing in a gi, which is what Aikido is. There are scripted pauses and half-ass techniques in the "sparring" specifically timed to let Aikido guy show off, which is sad considering nothing was especially competently executed (on either side) save for some of the ukemi. Even then, there's a reason nobody's doing rolling falls during an actual combat situation.

Aikido notoriously claims that it both doesn't need and can counter striking techniques. This has never been and is obviously not the case. Aikido is wish fulfillment for people who are allergic to exercise/learning a real martial art but want to pretend they don't need to be athletic to competently defend themselves and aren't wasting their time and money.

People who want to rip Aikido always pretend like Tomiki Aikido doesn't exist.
Yeah pretty much.

The guy who trained my chief instructor trained with Tomiki Sensei as well as at the Kodokan. He added a close training relationship with Oyama Sensei from Kyokushin for striking.

I try to stay out of the Aikido debate other than to say contact I KBI in NYC if you want to see international level Judo resistance doing wrist locks and more importantly entries into throws that utilize kinetic energy from momentum and don't start with pawing each other.

Last edited:
I am all for Aikido's use of energy. Ki balls rocks. Can't think of no other martial art of use in case the Saiyans invade earth.

LOL....
Did you get through that phase of obsessing over oily guys wrassling on the beach in speedo's?
you haven't popped up much since that time in your life......
....or are you still obsessed with me pointing it out.....
..... "not that there's anything wrong with that"....

LOL....
Did you get through that phase of obsessing over oily guys wrassling on the beach in speedo's?
you haven't popped up much since that time in your life......
....or are you still obsessed with me pointing it out.....
..... "not that there's anything wrong with that"....
Wtf did u just say?

The techniques Aikido uses are tried-and-true ways to arrest people and used to great effect across the world.

The way Aikidio teaches said techniques and the ability of the typical practitioner to successfully apply them...not so much

Wtf did u just say?
Never mind, it's nothing, old observations of Salves.

What's the best way to troll a troll?

Find a retired, older and bigger former troll.

It's all good.
The techniques Aikido uses are tried-and-true ways to arrest people and used to great effect across the world.

The way Aikidio teaches said techniques and the ability of the typical practitioner to successfully apply them...not so much

As I've said before the way to effective Kansetsu Waza(Aikido) is through the full art of Judo with a focus on Tomiki Aikido after a decade when you don't have all the time to train for competing anymore.

So the modern Aikido muppet's trying to claim their teaching open hands technique for a fist fight are delusional.

All those wrist control and entry techniques are taken from weapons disarm JuiJitsu. There's a quote I'm too lazy to look up right now where Tomiki Sensei is in a conversation with the Kodokan leadership seeking out the best practitioner of each discipline and Kano Sensei says Ueshiba Sensei is by far the best in standing JuiJutsu.

Sorry if I quote myself, but I've just discovered this one.

Very cool. As expected, Judo guy gets more TDs but aikido guy lands a nice grip counter at 0:30. Bad camera angle and he adjusts a few times but looks like he finishes with a sankyo. Have always wanted to learn aikido wrist locks as part of grip fighting. Wish there was a tomiki aikido school near me to complement judo and bjj.

Last edited:

I'd say that this is what's wrong with some of Hapkido

undertaker-brock-lesnar.gif

Sorry if I quote myself, but I've just discovered this one.

You really don't know the story of Rokas? It's awesome, you should look it up. Anyway, he didn't learn only Aikido. When he was a pure Aikido guy, in his first video, he fought totally different from now. And yeah, I dont recommend Aiki. Good luck.

Back