Elevation factor in SLC?

SovereignPhantom

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Just saw the first embedded episode and Leon mentioned getting in early to Salt Lake City to acclimate to things including elevation. Anyone thinking this might play a role in some fights this weekend? On the off chance Rockhold finds a way to beat Costa, will Paulo blame it on the air?

Just saw the first embedded episode and Leon mentioned getting in early to Salt Lake City to acclimate to things including elevation. Anyone thinking this might play a role in some fights this weekend? On the off chance Rockhold finds a way to beat Costa, will Paulo blame it on the air?
The answer to your last question - yes...Well no... he'll probably blame it on something else when he could have blamed the elevation

yeah could have a huge impact on a lot of these fights and I didn't even think about it. good heads up.

Salt Lake City is at 4200 feet. A week is enough time to acclimate. For comparison, Las Vegas is at 2000 feet and Mexico City is almost 7500 feet.

milehightraining-Altitude-To-Oxygen-Chart002.jpg

You need at least 2 weeks to get accustomed to the altitude. Anything above 7k and I feel like I'm stuck in quicksand for about 5 days.

I don't think it will too much. I'm used to sea level and when I went there I had zero problems. Yet I've been to other places that were maybe only 1500ft higher and had a problem.

Leon arrived in SLC two weeks ago -- IF I heard him correctly.

Well, the humidity in the San Diego area largely affected Bruno Silva and David Onama.
Both of these guys were KO kings up until this past weekend.
The humidity affected Bruno so much that he didn't even show up at UFC: Vera vs Cruz.

You be the judge

i ran the red bull 400 race there once in Park City... I think it was around 8k feet and it was brutal.... I was in excellent shape for that race and the elevation mattered A LOT
I came to SLC from just above sea level right into hiking for day after day and a lot of running and calisthenics with a heavy pack for a couple of months. It would have been brutal at the altitude I was used to but going up about 6K made it unreal how quickly I lost steam. There’s no substitute for acclimation.

might the Wanderlei snorkel help?
View attachment 937723
Yes. Anything that limits your oxygen intake would help. They still use similar snorkels while people are running on a treadmill, it's just connected to something that controls the amount of oxygen they receive. Just a high tech version of this and the elevation masks.

Well, the humidity in the San Diego area largely affected Bruno Silva and David Onama.
Both of these guys were KO kings up until this past weekend.
The humidity affected Bruno so much that he didn't even show up at UFC: Vera vs Cruz.

You be the judge
Everything factors in - weather, temperature, elevation, etc. This is why a lot of fighters get sick before fights, all the stress on their body from weight cutting and being around an environment their body isn't used to.

You don't need to get acustomed to elevation when you use EPO

<seedat>

i ran the red bull 400 race there once in Park City... I think it was around 8k feet and it was brutal.... I was in excellent shape for that race and the elevation mattered A LOT

I used to be a very competitive 10 & 12k runner and events at altitude hurt so F'n bad....

I can't even imagine being in the kind of oxygen debt that occurs when competing at that altitude and also being punched and kicked by a martial arts expert...

I think the guys that live and train at elevation make the best investment possible when you look at the advantage it produces.

Back