International Elite Afghan commandos 'betrayed' by the British and left behind to be hunted down

LeonardoBjj

Professional Wrestler
@Brown
Reaction score
48137406163_d7944b0a62_z.jpg

Sky News can reveal that dozens of soldiers who served in two Afghan special forces units that were set up, trained and paid by the British have since been murdered or tortured by the Taliban.

Michael Drummond
Foreign news reporter @MikeRDrummond

"I feel betrayed by the British."

Once part of an elite Afghan special forces unit, Shaheen and his two brothers spent years fighting side-by-side with UK commandos.

But when Kabul fell to the Taliban in the chaos of August 2021, so many of his comrades were left behind. His brother Qahraman was hunted down and murdered.

"We were like one family," he says. "I cannot bear to hear about my colleagues hiding now in Afghanistan, their lives in danger."

Sky News can reveal that dozens of soldiers who served in two Afghan special forces units that were set up, trained and paid for by the British have since been murdered or tortured by the Taliban.

32827403987_c24a6a64d8_z.jpg

Working with Lighthouse Reports and The Independent, Sky News has verified dozens of cases in which the Taliban has targeted and physically harmed these former commandos who risked their lives alongside the British.

skynews-afghanistan-triples_6343114.jpg

Members of the Triples with British veteran Charlie Herbert

Shaheen told Sky News how for years he and his two brothers were part of Commando Force 333 (CF333), an Afghan special forces unit established by the British in 2002.

His name and the name of his brother have been changed in this story for his family's protection.

In the mid-2000s, there were still pockets of Taliban fighters dotted around Afghanistan, despite their regime being toppled by the coalition of international forces, including the US and UK.

Known as the Triples, CF333 and fellow unit ATF444 embarked on joint missions with the British to battle the remaining Taliban - and received salaries from the British government for doing so, it can be revealed for the first time.
hq720.jpg

The camp where they and British commandos were based became a home for Shaheen and his brothers, he tells Sky News.

They took pride in their work and were involved in special operations around Afghanistan, putting themselves in danger for their country.

"Although they were younger than me, my brothers and I were so close that we were friends," Shaheen says.
45121304901_8151bf0e24_z.jpg

49501841947_22fa8ffbe6_z.jpg

Chaos as Kabul fell to the Taliban

With the US and UK announcing they were pulling out of Afghanistan after two decades, Taliban fighters swept across the country and it wasn't long before they were at the gates of Kabul.

"I didn't know what to do," Shaheen says. "I didn't go back home because I would be a top target for the Taliban.

"So for two days, I was wandering in the streets of Kabul, not knowing when I would be killed."

Along with Qahraman and some of their comrades, Shaheen was able to get inside the airport, the last part of the city not under Taliban control. Their other brother had managed to leave Afghanistan by crossing the border elsewhere.
48641807026_4a63f19111_z.jpg

"The conditions were horrible at the airport," Shaheen says. "I saw women and children being stampeded upon. People were beaten with batons, it was horrendous."

While Shaheen was allowed on a flight out of Afghanistan, his brother was turned away.

Qahraman hunted down by the Taliban

Shaheen says after Qahraman left the airport "he was observed and followed", and went to their sister's home.

He did not leave the house for 10 days. When he finally did, a group of people shot him.

Asked if he blames the British for his brother's death, Shaheen says: "He did a lot of hard work for the British. When he was kicked out of the airport, he became a target."

35586430761_524a571c31_z.jpg

Now living in Birmingham with his wife and children in a cramped house, Shaheen says he is a shell of his former self.

"I lost everything," he says.

"I don't even have 10% of what I was. Even here, I don't have anything to be proud of."

'Unjust' reason to deny Triples entry to UK

Despite serving shoulder-to-shoulder with British troops, the majority of the Triples were not evacuated in August 2021 and have subsequently been rejected under the UK's scheme for relocating Afghans who worked with the British - known as the Afghan Relocation and Assistance programme (ARAP).

Most have been told this is because they did not work "alongside, in partnership with or closely supporting... a UK government department" - despite compelling evidence to the contrary.

35240771886_e1da5b36fe_z.jpg

One British veteran, who served alongside the Triples for five years, said the relationship between the Afghan and UK units was a "completely symbiotic partnership".

"We were completely embedded," the veteran said. "We were one unit. You couldn't work more hand in glove with the British than they did."

Charlie Herbert, a former British Army major general who served in Afghanistan, said denying the Triples entry to the UK on the basis that they did not work alongside, work in partnership with or closely support the UK armed forces, is "both disingenuous and unjust".

He added: "I can think of no other Afghan security forces who were more closely aligned to the UK than 333 and 444, nor who more loyally or bravely supported our military objectives."

Another veteran, who served alongside the CF333s, said: "They put their lives on the line, properly fighting with us, for us. They were the national force doing the UK government's bidding. That cannot be more aligned with the UK's strategic interests."

53291057040_73b4658782_z.jpg

Conversations with current and former UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) sources suggest that the UK Special Forces department was effectively "blocking" the Triples from being accepted under ARAP.

It is unclear why.

far-right-extremists-used-threats-intimidation-cancel-halal-fun-day-muslim-research.webp

Taliban fighters in Kabul in August 2021 after their takeover

Ministry of Defence: We have never issued blanket decisions

When approached, the MoD did not deny that UK Special Forces was refusing to approve the cases.

An MoD spokesperson said: "The UK government has made an ambitious and generous commitment to help eligible people in Afghanistan. So far, we have brought around 24,600 people to safety, including thousands of people eligible for our Afghan schemes.

"The MoD has never issued blanket decisions on applications from any cohort who have applied to the ARAP scheme. All eligibility decisions are made on a case-by-case basis against strict criteria taken in accordance with the Immigration Rules and based on the evidence provided by individuals."

52996381929_3b00436968_z.jpg

Shaheen, like so many of his surviving comrades, wants to know why they were left behind and for the apparent block on Triples applications to be lifted.

But for so many, it is already too late. They have already been hunted down by the Taliban.

"There's a saying in my country," Shaheen says. "On one hand, there's a cliff - and on the other, is a tiger waiting for you, so you don't have much choice."

52724349170_03815cd0a8_z.jpg

https://news.sky.com/story/elite-af...sh-and-left-behind-to-be-hunted-down-12997241

We should absolutely have gotten these people out, no excuses.
I don't think there was a way to get people out because I heard there was only Bagram airbase and the Kabul airport prior to the full withdrawal. The previous administration had shut down 10 or so other airbases in Nov 2020 after making a deal with the Taliban that withdrawal was soon and certain. The US military was very limited after those airbase closures and when the corrupt Afghan govt collapsed, there was not alot they could do.

I don't think there was a way to get people out because I heard there was only Bagram airbase and the Kabul airport prior to the full withdrawal. The previous administration had shut down 10 or so other airbases in Nov 2020 after making a deal with the Taliban that withdrawal was soon and certain. The US military was very limited after those airbase closures and when the corrupt Afghan govt collapsed, there was not alot they could do.

We should have had a contingency plan of some kind. It's not like when the withdrawal happened it wasn't looking likely that things were going to go to shit pretty much immediately.

I think there was a bunch who sought asylum in Iran and Russia was looking to recruit them for the war in Ukraine and some of them took the offer because they needed money.

Sad situation all round. Hard to feel we didn't let them down when we're telling them that if they fight alongside us we'll make it better for them and then they're left in a worse position than ever.

That's very sad and these people should have got special protection for the aftermath, but on greater scale the real shame is how whole retreat thing has been handled on both sides

Correct me if wrong, but i think to remember west (or just USA?) spent lot of money for the built of an afghan army able to defend post-occupation Afghanistan from talibans, and on paper the numbers looked fitting for the job
Then end up LOT of the soldiers numbers were inflated on afghan side to have ground to ask for more money, end up they had less than half (even less than a third iirc) of the declared soldiers and of these few, lot let the talibans take over without oppose resistance

Very sad. Just terrible. The west needs to hold up their end of the bargain whenever possible.

Australia too, we left behind/not helping those who helped our forces on ground in afghanistan and letting them be hunted down

That's very sad and these people should have got special protection for the aftermath, but on greater scale the real shame is how whole retreat thing has been handled on both sides

Correct me if wrong, but i think to remember west (or just USA?) spent lot of money for the built of an afghan army able to defend post-occupation Afghanistan from talibans, and on paper the numbers looked fitting for the job
Then end up LOT of the soldiers numbers were inflated on afghan side to have ground to ask for more money, end up they had less than half (even less than a third iirc) of the declared soldiers and of these few, lot let the talibans take over without oppose resistance

I think one of the criticisms was they didn't do this. They spend the majority of the time training a force who were effective at working with the coalition on current operations against whatever Taliban threat there was at the time.

They didn't put anywhere near enough focus in creating an autonomous Afghan defence force who could defend on their own. The Afghans would do the majority of the work, but for 20 years all their weak points would be filled in by US or British assistance. Google tells me in 2019, the US performed 2,434 strike sorties, releasing 7,423 weapons against the taliban.

Basically the hand of God bailing out the Afghan army 6-7 times every day with firey hell-fury. We knew the Afghans wouldn't be able to cope without that happening. We were never going to trust them with any kind of really valuable equipment to give them this capability themselves, that's one of the reasons we stayed there for 20 years just hoping a solution would magically present itself.

I'm sure the British special forces would have risked their lives to protect them if they were Ukrainian. We all know why they left them to die.

I think one of the criticisms was they didn't do this. They spend the majority of the time training a force who were effective at working with the coalition on current operations against whatever Taliban threat there was at the time.

They didn't put anywhere near enough focus in creating an autonomous Afghan defence force who could defend on their own. The Afghans would do the majority of the work, but for 20 years all their weak points would be filled in by US or British assistance. Google tells me in 2019, the US performed 2,434 strike sorties, releasing 7,423 weapons against the taliban.

Basically the hand of God bailing out the Afghan army 6-7 times every day with firey hell-fury. We knew the Afghans wouldn't be able to cope without that happening. We were never going to trust them with any kind of really valuable equipment to give them this capability themselves, that's one of the reasons we stayed there for 20 years just hoping a solution would magically present itself.
That's interesting, thanks

Back