ELO rankings

Shishio

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
While not a terrible idea put forth in the new article on sherdog....it fails to solve the inherent problem of when the people in charge just say "fuck the rankings were gonna do this fight cus money" (which he does bring up in the article), but has anyone seen the "Great White Hype" with Sam Jackson...it really shows how boxing went downhill and how MMA is doing exactly the same right now....and to all the people saying im still bitching about this....well its a forum site, what else am I gonna do ask you people for your opinion on lilac arrangement.

Last edited:
Right now UFC rankings are whatever the UFC says they are. Sure, they've got a little group of "independent" sycophants who vote for the rankings but it's pretty obvious they do whatever they are told. Real rankings and mandatory title shots/defenses are what separates the UFC from a real sports org.

While not a terrible idea put forth in the new article on sherdog....it fails to solve the inherent problem of when the people in charge just say "fuck the rankings were gonna do this fight cus money" (which he does bring up in the article), but has anyone seen the "Great White Hype" with Sam Jackson...it really shows how boxing went downhill and how MMA is doing exactly the same right now....and to all the people saying im still bitching about this....well its a forum site, what else am I gonna do ask you people for your opinion on lilac arrangement.
What article?

The only thing that would prevent the UFC from booking whatever fights they want would be some sort of independent or semi-dependent body that could enforce the rankings structure in the match-making. I think the best option would be a collective bargaining arrangement between the fighters and the UFC. Also, I think we as fans could be smarter consumers and refuse the buy the eventual Charles Oliveira vs. Conor McGregor title fight, but that's a lot less likely.

Also, I've never seen "Great White Hype" with Sam Jackson, but I'll check it out!

Doesn't Fightmatrix already use ELO rankings?

What article?
https://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/Lets-Improve-MMA-A-Better-Ranking-System-183877

The author completely fails to even mention the fact that Fightmatrix already uses ELO, and pretends like he invented the idea.

I really like this idea and have suggested some long time ago.
Specially like the idea the writer gave about giving different points for dominant decisions and close ones.

I don't know this but does this ELO System make players lose points after a while?
Like in tennis, the points you make in a tournament or match are lost after 52 weeks.

It's a good way to keep fighters from taking year long breaks.
Don't want to fight this year? Ok, but know that when you come back you'll have dropped from 3rd to 7th.

ELO Rankings?
Like in chess?

Do MMA fighters, let alone those in the UFC, compete enough to make said system the best?
Heck, Carlsen and such are playing 11-13 rapid games over these three days and then will play 21 blitz games over two more days.

Hard to compare.

Doesn't Fightmatrix already use ELO rankings?

https://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/Lets-Improve-MMA-A-Better-Ranking-System-183877

The author completely fails to even mention the fact that Fightmatrix already uses ELO, and pretends like he invented the idea.
I don’t think that was the intent. More likely that he just wanted to explore the idea of it, as the ongoing discussion about how to match make appropriately is becoming more and more of a discussion. I don’t think most reads would assume he’s claiming to have invented it considering he literally mentions the system being invented by someone else in the very first paragraph, but to each his own. Thank you for the link

Why are we capitalising Elo? It's a dude's name, and this isn't New Japan Pro Wrestling lol

You think the quality would be higher if matchmaking was 100% forced by a magical number and fighters/promoters had no say in opponent?

I don’t think that was the intent. More likely that he just wanted to explore the idea of it, as the ongoing discussion about how to match make appropriately is becoming more and more of a discussion. I don’t think most reads would assume he’s claiming to have invented it considering he literally mentions the system being invented by someone else in the very first paragraph, but to each his own. Thank you for the link
Obviously he doesn't claim to have invented ELO. But the article comes across as him having a novel suggestion that we should apply ELO to generate MMA rankings.

Which again, was a great idea when Fightmatrix came up with that idea over five years ago -- and which is why Fightmatrix remains the best source for unbiased current and historical MMA rankings.

if you really wanna impress you'll find a way to segway one into the other lol
I saw this guy's arrangements and you're doing a grave mistake.
It litteraly resolves a whole range of problems including ELO ratings applied to MMA
and it's cute

which he does bring up in the article
It's kinda funny ; the guy barely mentions it, then just proceeds to say OK NOW IT'S OUT OF THE WAY cool otherwise my article would make no sense haha

The only thing that would prevent the UFC from booking whatever fights they want would be some sort of independent or semi-dependent body that could enforce the rankings structure in the match-making. I think the best option would be a collective bargaining arrangement between the fighters and the UFC. Also, I think we as fans could be smarter consumers and refuse the buy the eventual Charles Oliveira vs. Conor McGregor title fight, but that's a lot less likely.

Also, I've never seen "Great White Hype" with Sam Jackson, but I'll check it out!
So Sam Jackson basically plays Don King and Damon Wayans is basically Mike Tyson and so every opponent for Wayans is another black guy he just destroys, so Sam finds some white guy that beat Wayans as an amateur ages ago, makes some nonsense up to get him ranked, stokes the shit out of the racial fires and Wayans shows up in the worst shape ever and still beats the shit out of the white guy, everyone calls bullshit but not before Jackson has already set up the next money fight....its a satire of exactly what boxing was becoming at the time and sort of predicted Mayweather vs McGregor but back in like 96 lol...oh and John Rhys Davies is just hilariously racist the whole movie.

Last edited:
Reactions: G10
Back