Endurance training for strength athletes

JRT6

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, I've only really just skimmed through as I'm short on time at the moment, but looking forward to reading it fully.

Do people really dispute being able to get stronger while improving their endurance as well?

Or is it that people don't think you can get stronger by only endurance training.

http://www.completehumanperformance...ce-training-for-strength-athletes-part-1.html

http://www.completehumanperformance.com/so-you-want-to-run-part-2.html

Interesting couple of articles here. I don't know if this would be something I'd try but I love the author's premise that strength athletes can train endurance and gain strength contrary to conventional wisdom. If you check out the web site the author breaks down his reasoning.

I've been watching his videos for a bit now. I think him, Joel Jamieson, and Chad Smith really have a very good grasp on how to program for mixed athletes in a logical way.

I've known for a long time that one can get pretty strong and get great endurance.

I did it...

I've known for a long time that one can get pretty strong and get great endurance.

I did it...

Yep. My father was an extremely strong guy who lifted weights and had a laboring job most of his life, and he also ran lots of marathons, half marathons, swam, hiked etc.

Where did this whole myth come from that you can't be strong and have good endurance come from?

Yep. My father was an extremely strong guy who lifted weights and had a laboring job most of his life, and he also ran lots of marathons, half marathons, swam, hiked etc.

Where did this whole myth come from that you can't be strong and have good endurance come from?

People are putting words into peoples' mouths, or posts, in this case.

I don't think anyone here, who's worth listening to anyway, has ever said you cannot do both.

People are putting words into peoples' mouths, or posts, in this case.

I don't think anyone here, who's worth listening to anyway, has ever said you cannot do both.

I wasn't talking about people on this forum or anyone specific.

You must of seen / heard people say things about losing all your strength in you do cardio, don't do endurance work if you want to be strong etc.

Excellent articles, thanks.

For those who didn't read them (I am guessing the majority of those who commented so far), what was especially interesting for me was the author's points in the first one that

- LISS/distance work interferes less with strength work than high intensity work (hill sprints et al)
- Distance work and strength development can be done concurrently; you don't need to have blocks when you work on one and maintain the other
- The best strength template for combining with distance running is something like Westside (or a heavy day/light day type of programme), with recovery runs and speed work done at the beginning of the week when ME/heavy work is done, and distance work done at the end of the week when light/dynamic work is done

To me it is nowhere near obvious that everyone agrees you can be deadlifting 700lbs and also running Ironman and ultramarathons. I guess I just hang out in different circles to everyone else.

The second article was a bit less good, I thought. Although I am sure that the running drills are very helpful- I've never actually looked into how to improve running form, so this is a good start.

I did it...

I think he's talking about being more than pretty strong. He mentions that when he first started trying to do both he already had a 700lb deadlift.

IIRC you do your training in blocks too- some times more endurance focused, sometimes more strength focused. He is talking about training, and competing, concurrently.

To me it is nowhere near obvious that everyone agrees you can be deadlifting 700lbs and also running Ironman and ultramarathons. I guess I just hang out in different circles to everyone else.

All people probably agree that you can, but doing it is a whole other story. It takes some really smart training and good recovery to do it, which is probably why many people say it's impossible...
Another question is, if you'd need a solid base of either strength or endurance to be able to do both. Starting running when you already pull 700lb is probably easier than going "from couch to 42k and a 1800lb PL-total"

The conventional wisdom is that you can't do both which is why I posted the article.

I think he's talking about being more than pretty strong. He mentions that when he first started trying to do both he already had a 700lb deadlift.

IIRC you do your training in blocks too- some times more endurance focused, sometimes more strength focused. He is talking about training, and competing, concurrently.

You are right, for the most part, I do things in blocks but I have played around with the Alex Viada type thing a bit. It works but is very taxing so recovery is IMO more important than any other factor, but I always feel that recovery is the most important part.

FOr the record, I have never deadlifted 700lbs and never will, I have only ever gotten over 500 a handful of times but I do find that I can maintain a solid deadlift upwards of 460ish while still running ultra marathons. Like the other guy said, it helps to have a solid base in either strength or endurance but I actually think its easier to come from an endurance abckground because theres a lot of low hanging fruit with "noob" gains when it comes to getting strong but I can imagine a serious powerlifter, like a 242+lb guy having serious troubles if he tried to get into running, even more of a pain if triathlons were what he was going for.

This guy seems like the exception that proves the rule. There's like one guy alive who can allegedly do this, I've never heard of him in any other context, and I'm already tired of reading about him.

He also tells you to run with sandals on, wtf?

This guy seems like the exception that proves the rule. There's like one guy alive who can allegedly do this, I've never heard of him in any other context, and I'm already tired of reading about him.

Probably roman.

To teach forefoot or midfoot striking.

As you'll recall, when you forefoot or midfoot strike the foot strikes the ground further forward, and then the eccentric action of the calf muscle controls the descent to the heel. Some people find this pretty unnatural at first, but it is pretty much automatic if you are afraid to make heavy contact with your heel. Trying to run with hard-heeled shoes = automatic forefoot/midfoot striking.

When I was a teenager I lived in a house with floor boards, and when I had to run inside I would always forefoot strike, otherwise it made a huge booming sound that you could hear throughout the house. When I shifted to forefoot striking, all I had to do was run like I used to when I indoors in my old house.

I've never had exposure to proper running coaches, but this seems a legitimate teaching method to me.

Based on that guy's articles Im going to back pedal on what I said about giving the half marathon training a break this winter and am instead going to see if can strength and 5k and 10k train since I just got shoved into an early retirement. I now have plenty of time for base building without sacrificing my other passions.

Back