Television Epic SNL skit! Beavis and Butthead

I saw the sketch this weekend and laughed. Called my wife over to the living room to watch it, and she belly laughed as well.

Came across this article last night: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/heidi-gardner-breaking-during-snl-010947225.html

Why is Gardner using words like 'anxiety' when discussing breaking character. In the interview, she discusses that she has a job to do, and it isn't getting done if she breaks character. I disagree. She has one job: to make people laugh. By her breaking character, she certainly made people laugh...because it was sincere.

What's going on at SNL to make the cast think this way?

I think it’s been widely rumored- perhaps even attested to by people on the Carvey/Spade podcast from what I recall- that Lorne is not a fan of when people break. So maybe it’s just one of those things where it annoys him enough that people feel the trade off of appealing to the audience isn’t enough to compensate.

I certainly find it funny, you just don’t want to see it in every sketch, like when Fallon and Sanz would invariably crack each other up just by making eye contact.

GOATs in terms of not breaking in sketches- I would probably say Chris Parnell and Beck Bennett. So rare to see either of them even get on the fringe of breaking character.

Cecily Strong, Kate McKinnon and Aidy Bryant were all really stoic in that regard to for years but by the latter half of their run, they were occasionally doing so. I think it’s one of those things where as you get more comfortable in your tenure and longevity, you’re less worried about doing it.

Armisen, for instance, didn’t even break in the famous Debbie Downer sketch. He was like a rock throughout the bulk of his run, then in his final year, him and Hader were doing those Californian sketches and could not get through it. lol.

That's the funniest thing I've seen from SNL in a long time

The Butthead charactor’s fart sniffing face was worthy of a chuckle, he nailed the look. But other than that, it was a bit underwhelming. If this is one if their better skits, I’m not missing anything I guess.

On an unrelated note, the homes.com girl would get it.

I think the breaking character deal wouldn't be as funny if they did it all the time. What makes it funny is it's rare and people know they aren't supposed to break character and laugh.

Also I would bang her into a Bolivia.
Yeah it's only funny when they're trying not to do it.

I think some casts were certainly careless about it or maybe even doing it intentionally, and it definitely made the show LESS funny.

It was ok but wasn't that great really. Nothing tops that bit I saw where the guys dad comes to school as an oil barren. I think that Star Wars actor plays the dad.

Heidi Gardner’s break was something else. She rarely ever does- most I’ve seen is like a stifled smile or some momentary lapses. Really surprised me that seeing Mikey Day like that completely broke her lol.

Gosling is usually a very good host, even though he breaks constantly. Clearly enjoys it and that enthusiasm enhances the sketches.
Mikey Day is good. He doesn't get a lot of notoriety because he usually plays the "normal" guy in a lot of sketches but he usually does a great job at it.

Mikey Day is good. He doesn't get a lot of notoriety because he usually plays the "normal" guy in a lot of sketches but he usually does a great job at it.

I think if there was an SNL Hall of Fame- why would there be but indulge me- he’s clearly a first ballot type guy. 8 seasons and still going and he was great from his first season as a featured player. Like you said, he sort of has his niche as the normal guy but he’s surprisingly versatile too. I think his first or second season he debuted the Matt Schatt character which always cracks me up. Takes a self-deprecating guy to make a whole character out of people being befuddled why the very attractive host’s character is married to him.

I thought also that SNL struck gold by having him and Moffat pair up a lot. Great duo. Bummer that he left a couple of years back.

Skit was so-so but I have enjoyed the new episodes of Beavis and Butthead. Glad they brought it back, especially the episodes when they are now middle aged

Skit was so-so but I have enjoyed the new episodes of Beavis and Butthead. Glad they brought it back, especially the episodes when they are now middle aged

Haven't seen the new stuff will have to check it out.

Just bring Jimmy Fallon and Horatio Sanz back if you want skits that aren’t funny and the performers can’t get through the premise without laughing.

The skit was okay. It's not even close to being the funniest ever.

A regular episode of Beavis and Butthead is much better.

Back