Errol's trainer not too good...

dominion

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Antonio Tarver said after the fight, that Errol's defense was all wrong and his trainer is to blame. He continues to describe the instances where Errol's fundamentals were off so he wasn't prepared for Bud because James didn't prepare him right... What are your thoughts?

imo, it was more to do with Crawford being a bad matchup for Errol.

Part of the problem that I have always had with Errol is that he seems to have problems when guys show him different looks. I was talking about this prefight in a different thread but the Porter-Spence fight rocked my world

when Porter was boxing with Spence, Spence looked like he didn't know what to do at all, and there were a lot of moments where Porter was dancing around him and giving it to him. I thought Crawford would show him a ton of different looks and pick him apart towards the end of the fight

Just happened to happen a lot sooner. But to get back to the OP, no not on the trainer. Just a flaw in Spence's game imo

translation, give me a payday.

Whatever, people always armchair after the fact, I seem to remember him doing it quite frequently btw.

James told Spence to step off and not to stay out front for too long, for example, that’s was correct. spence couldn’t or wouldn’t follow his corners instruction.

I said in another thread, I think something was off with Spence, Crawford fought masterfully, but Spence didn’t even look like the same fighter I’ve seen before. The guy didn’t make one adjustment. Tarver was correct in that he couldn’t even get out of the way the jab, bizarre to me.

Last edited:
translation, give me a payday.

Whatever, people always armchair after the fact, I seem to remember him doing it quite frequently btw.

James told Spence to step off and not to stay out front for too long, for example, that’s was correct. spence couldn’t or wouldn’t follow his corners instruction.

I said in another thread, I think something was off with Spence, Crawford fought masterfully, but Spence didn’t even look like the same fighter I’ve seen before. The guy didn’t make one adjustment. Tarver was correct in that he couldn’t even get out of the way the jab, bizarre to me.
I noticed him flinching and doing the same blocking movement from bud's jab too, wasn't moving his head or moving in a different direction when bud would jab him. Didn't change it up all night.
Not sure if that's Spence's fault or Bud's.
Either way bud whooped his ass.

I noticed him flinching and doing the same blocking movement from bud's jab too, wasn't moving his head or moving in a different direction when bud would jab him. Didn't change it up all night.
Not sure if that's Spence's fault or Bud's.
Either way bud whooped his ass.
I keep thinking to myself how if you told me 4 kds and a KO 2 rounds earlier I wouldn’t have batted an eye. You could have told me Errol lost every meaningful exchange, even ones he initiated rather well, still wouldn’t have irked me. Hell you could even told me that Bud was such an incredible boxer he took all steam off everything Spence threw and never felt troubled at all. But watching with my own eyes even I am just perplexed Spence seemed hurt by EVERYTHING, counters, right hand jab, body shots, potshots from the outside, literally everything that touched him after rd 2 looked like it was disrupting the connection between his brain and legs. Every single punch.

He was good enough to get Spence to the top and a fight like this.

Sure you can make adjustments between rounds. But the greatest fighters can make adjustments in the round on their own.

Its easy to generically say "adjustments." Eventually Spence broke almost everyone he fought with his pressure. Not so easy to move away from that when you have seen it work everytime against guys precieved to be more rugged than Crawford. Even when he was losing before.

Also, for adjustments you like to build on what you had success with. Nothing Spence did worked. So not much you could build on.
So it amounts to:
"Spence needed to make adjustments so he could survive & lose by points"

No trainer or advice was giving that version of Spence any chance to beat Bud last night.

Better fighter won.

Last edited:
i can't be the only one irked by how tarver talks.

He’s always been a cheesy dude and has only gotten a bigger chip on his shoulder as he’s gotten older. I can’t take him seriously.

I keep thinking to myself how if you told me 4 kds and a KO 2 rounds earlier I wouldn’t have batted an eye. You could have told me Errol lost every meaningful exchange, even ones he initiated rather well, still wouldn’t have irked me. Hell you could even told me that Bud was such an incredible boxer he took all steam off everything Spence threw and never felt troubled at all. But watching with my own eyes even I am just perplexed Spence seemed hurt by EVERYTHING, counters, right hand jab, body shots, potshots from the outside, literally everything that touched him after rd 2 looked like it was disrupting the connection between his brain and legs. Every single punch.
yeah, no kidding. every punch seemed to buzz him from the second round onward. at first i thought ok, he went down from a jab but it was more like an off-balance knockdown than anything, spence was reaching when it happened. however clearly it was not...

There's not much he could have taught Spence to help him. Crawford is simply a lot more talented. He is faster, stronger, just as conditioned, and somehow everything he landed hurt Spence.

It's almost impossible to make up for all that.

There's not much he could have taught Spence to help him. Crawford is simply a lot more talented. He is faster, stronger, just as conditioned, and somehow everything he landed hurt Spence.

It's almost impossible to make up for all that.
Agreed. I wonder what Tarver thinks he would have done differently from James.

No, Derrick is a great trainer. Spence lost for 3 reasons imo- 1. Spence clearly needs to be able to bully his man, he couldn't bully Bud. 2. Once he can't bully someone, he struggles and doesn't seem to have the ability to adjust. 3. Crawford is simply to quick on his feet, explosive and fast for Spence to break down. Bud is a poor stylistic match up, and is frankly a better fighter.

Bud is much more creative and can adapt on the fly. Spence seems to have only a couple of gears. If they don't work, he's f#cked.

That's my honest opinion. Perhaps Eroll can make the nessary tactical adjustments, but I think that is close to impossible at this point.

And this is how trainers get buried. All it takes is 1 bad night, now let's say Errol switches to...I dunno Kenny Porter. Then wins. Then loses again and switches again. James is never heard from again.

Conversely, BoMac, who didnt build Crawford...comes out looking like a genius.

And this is how trainers get buried. All it takes is 1 bad night, now let's say Errol switches to...I dunno Kenny Porter. Then wins. Then loses again and switches again. James is never heard from again.

Conversely, BoMac, who didnt build Crawford...comes out looking like a genius.
So Midge Minor built Bud but today BoMac is his head trainer and Esau Dieguez is his assistant trainer?

Back