Ever freeze up in competition?

mcgoatp4p#1

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Im getting the urge to start competing again after abstaining for a couple years. Every time I've completed at blue belt, whenever I got into a bad position or a move didn't go like I planned I'd panic and freeze up, then things would go downhill from there and I'd just be on the defensive for the rest of the match.

I think it's related to my general anxiety but I'm not really sure

Sounds like you just need to compete, and then compete some more, maybe have some simulated matches with treammates at your gym, what you are describing is just the nature of the beast

I build it up too much in my mind before BJJ tournaments and have trouble sleeping the last week before big events. Once the matches start it all goes away though.

If it makes you that anxious and you don't enjoy it why do you want to do it? This is a sincere question.

I'm a hobbyist and rarely compete. When I think about how much bjj competitions are sometimes I think it is just not worth it. I'd rather spend my Saturday training in the morning and then go out to dinner with the competition money most of the time.

Im getting the urge to start competing again after abstaining for a couple years. Every time I've completed at blue belt, whenever I got into a bad position or a move didn't go like I planned I'd panic and freeze up, then things would go downhill from there and I'd just be on the defensive for the rest of the match.

I think it's related to my general anxiety but I'm not really sure

It’s happened to everyone. You just need to compete more. You’te going to get into bad positions, but experience will help you deal with it.

One time I was warming up in the bullpen. As I looked up Paulo Miyao and I made eye contact. He was taking deep breaths and rubbing his chest. He looked pretty nervous. And he competes all the time.

We all get nervous. Just try to enjoy the moment and show off your skills.

If it makes you that anxious and you don't enjoy it why do you want to do it? This is a sincere question.

I'm a hobbyist and rarely compete. When I think about how much bjj competitions are sometimes I think it is just not worth it. I'd rather spend my Saturday training in the morning and then go out to dinner with the competition money most of the time.

It feels worth it when you win, which I've experienced at white belt a couple times. I'd like to prove to myself that can at least win a match at blue belt.

It took me about 10 tournaments to feel comfortable. After while I realized that I was taking myself too seriously, and that hardly anyone was watching me, including the ref.

It's the anticipation not the fighting that most people hate. Pro MMA guys say it all the time.

Only training and never competing is like practicing basketball but never playing a real game. It feels good to test yourself against other styles and schools to see where you stand, even if it's nerve racking. IMO everyone should compete at least once, especially early on when more hobbyists are registered. Don't look back and regret missing out on the chance.

I agree that the money can be better spent elsewhere. Ibjjf prices are unreasonable, but local tournaments usually give you two divisions for 75 bucks or so. Competition is great, but tournaments suck. $25 for a two hour open mat a a different school is a greatly higher value than 100+ for (possibly) one tournament match.

One time a white belt asked me, “do the nerves ever go away?”
I said, “I hope not.”
That’s life you are feeling, enjoy!
I remember going against Roberto Traven. I was so worried. I didn’t want to look ridiculous. As I was about to enter the mat. I took a deep breath and smiled. I felt so lucky!

One time a white belt asked me, “do the nerves ever go away?”
I said, “I hope not.”
That’s life you are feeling, enjoy!
I remember going against Roberto Traven. I was so worried. I didn’t want to look ridiculous. As I was about to enter the mat. I took a deep breath and smiled. I felt so lucky!
.... And then what?

Is it common to get dehydrated due to nerves, drink water then have to take a leak every 5 minutes while waiting for your match?

Is it common to get dehydrated due to nerves, drink water then have to take a leak every 5 minutes while waiting for your match?

People react differently. Try watching some of the sports psychology from wrestling (Ben Askren has some on facebook etc.).
A lot of that is super good for performing better and having more fun. Like focusing on stuff you control, preparation/fighting hard rather then on the result etc.

Its fight or flight basically. Those nerves and butterflies are how warriors used to remind themselves to stay alert. My old coach (miguel torres) told me "i beat your ass worse than they could, what exactly are you nervous about?" He was completely serious, not joking. After that i kinda just started relaxing and realized he was right.

Nerves, everyone has them.

Freeze up, everyone's probably done it too.

A lot here has said "compete more". Remember though, do what you enjoy because ultimately, it's what you do in your spare time. Like 1% of the population can make a living from this sport, the rest are paying money to take part in a hobby. While I agree that everyone should compete at least once and it definitely helps as a part of development, if you're not into it and don't enjoy it, there's better ways to spend your time and life.

Sounds like you just need to compete, and then compete some more, maybe have some simulated matches with treammates at your gym, what you are describing is just the nature of the beast

That's if OP wants to compete or enjoys it.

Like I said before, it ain't for everyone. While I encourage everyone to compete if after a fair few competitions it stresses them out, it might not be for them especially if they end up regressing because of the negatives

This is a topic that men of military affairs have long observed; when you train your techniques in the gym, you aren't just training yourself to do techniques, you're training yourself to do techniques in a gym environment.

It is an important thing to keep in mind; habituation is not indefinitely transferable; a man is not an atemporal existence that can simply voluntarily act any particular way it wants in any one particular context or another. When you place yourself in a different context, your limibc system is going to, naturally, think it needs to react differently. If you want to perform in competition the same way you perform in the gym, you need to figure out ways to habituate yourself to the stimulus of a competition.

To illustrate an example of what means in practice here's something along those lines; have a ritual you do before hand, and always do the same things, the same ritual, before every fight. Even things as simple as tying your shoes in a certain way can matter; familiarity breeds assurance.

Last edited:
Back