Ever hear of Erik Paulson CSW

Jimrunefrost

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Theres a martial arts school near me that besides Muay Thai/kickboxing and JKD concepts offers BJJ called Erik Paulson CSW Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Is this a legit lineage?

Erik Paulson is legit. Not sure what CSW stands for but I'm guessing some variation of catch and submission wrestling. He's one of the last legit catch guys, but also legit bjj.

Theres a martial arts school near me that besides Muay Thai/kickboxing and JKD concepts offers BJJ called Erik Paulson CSW Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Is this a legit lineage?
Is this the CSW headquarters in Fullerton? I don't think that's what you're referring to but Erik Paulson is super legit.

Erik Paulson is one of the greatest grappling instructors alive.

No this school is in NC. And CSW stands for Combat Submission Wrestling
Yes absolutely Im very familiar with the CSW brand, its well-respected. Im curious who is the grappling instructor at this NC school, any idea? Paulson is a legend, Bloodyelbow did a great piece on him years ago if youre interested:

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/2/...n-the-forgotten-champion-shooto-fights-videos

I know he is the total package as far as grappling goes. Started out with Rickson, became a Machado BB, works wrestling a lot with Rico Chiapparelli, a strong judo background, trained combat wrestling in Japan, etc.

Yes absolutely Im very familiar with the CSW brand, its well-respected. Im curious who is the grappling instructor at this NC school, any idea? Paulson is a legend, Bloodyelbow did a great piece on him years ago if youre interested:

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/2/10/3965716/mma-origins-history-erik-paulson-the-forgotten-champion-shooto-fights-videos

I know he is the total package as far as grappling goes. Started out with Rickson, became a Machado BB, works wrestling a lot with Rico Chiapparelli, a strong judo background, trained combat wrestling in Japan, etc.[/QUOTE]

Is this the CSW headquarters in Fullerton? I don't think that's what you're referring to but Erik Paulson is super legit.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/2/10/3965716/mma-origins-history-erik-paulson-the-forgotten-champion-shooto-fights-videos

I know he is the total package as far as grappling goes. Started out with Rickson, became a Machado BB, works wrestling a lot with Rico Chiapparelli, a strong judo background, trained combat wrestling in Japan, etc.
[/QUOTE]
The website lists a brown belt by the name of Tim Haun as instructor

Completely Legit. Erik Paulson is a legend and CSW has its BJJ Association through Rigan Machado.

Erik Paulson is one of the greatest grappling instructors alive.
I kind of hate his instruction style even though he's obviously got an extensive knowledge base. All the JKD concepts guys do the "ok lets start off with 14 moves you can do from this position and yes i'm going to show all of them and gloss over how to control the position in 10 seconds" thing.

I kind of hate his instruction style even though he's obviously got an extensive knowledge base. All the JKD concepts guys do the "ok lets start off with 14 moves you can do from this position and yes i'm going to show all of them and gloss over how to control the position in 10 seconds" thing.

I don't think he does that as much as other guys, tbh, but I agree that can be a problem. I actually don't think there's another martial art besides BJJ that focuses on the little details. We're kind of spoiled that way.

Machados and Barnett couch for his grappling!

So, I'm with No Coast BJJ in Urbandale, Iowa. We are an Erik Paulson CSW affiliate and completely legit

We have both gi (BJJ) and no gi (CSW). Relative to BJJ, I think CSW might be a little more freestyle wrestling focused. I much prefer the gi, but the few times I've done no gi, I can't see much of a difference (except lack of grips, of course).

We have lots of guys competing in regional tournaments. Focus is almost entirely on submission only events.

Both Erik and Roger Machado (not Rigan), come through separately once a year for seminars. Both are amazing.

The timing is lousy for me, but a bunch of guys went to the biannual CSW conclave in Fullerton this year and just raved about it.

This hasn't been the case in the two seminars I've attended.

CSW is not BJJ. It is pure Submission wrestling with influences from various styles including catch and bjj.

It is good stuff if you intend to compete in MMA. But if you intend to compete in BJJ then just do BJJ.

Back