Ever try to recruit friends to MMA, only to have the fights disappoint?

Haha yeah . He just outed himself as not a real dawger.
What a LOSER .
705.png

Right? LOOOOL!!!!!!!

More so in boxing. Especially women viewers.

I was trying to convince my wife's friend to come hang out with us and watch the fights. I told her they are pretty good with fighter safety, and it's not as barbaric as it sounds. It was UFC 189.

Fellow sherbros, have you ever tried to recruit non-MMA fans into this crazy sport. I myself, like fellow sherdoggers, am a virgin living in my mother’s basement. I pray to the Just Bleed God, and believe fighters live rent free in each others heads. I am a loser but am self-aware enough to not tell others I am a MMA fan to avoid public shaming but there was a time I tried to convert people into MMA fans.

One particular fight I remember was Nick Diaz vs Carlos Condit. I really wish people could understand the buzz going into the Condit-Diaz fight. Fans legitimately thought it was going to be MMA’s version of Gatti-Ward or Hagler-Hearns. A lot of people were looking forward to that fight and telling non-MMA fans to tune it, that was the talk on Sherdog pre-fight. I told so many people to tune in because it was going to be all out action.

When the fights was over, I was in disbelief. I felt more ashamed than I usually do. That was the last time I tried to bring fans to the sport. I usually don’t even tell people I’m an MMA fan anymore.
Don't feel bad!
I also bought into Condit's interviews.
I recall like it was yesterday "I will die in the Octagon! You can expect a war!!!"
And a war I did expect, and that was the last time I rooted for Condit. EVER!!!!

But my tale was even worse!
I was sold everyone on the amazing Spider to come back and show everyone that his lost to Weidman was a fluke!
And as they never watched MMA before, I spent countless hours telling thm and explaining how it was much safer than Boxing, since there was no 10-count and how people bled, but it was just simple cuts and bruises...
scary-movie-shawn-wayans.gif

I not only recruited friends, but family as well!
They were all visiting us for the holidays. Mo mother, sister with her husband and kids, A couple from Germany, another from Brazil (and some less important friends from NY). They all got excited to watch for the first time the amazing Anderson SIlva.
jon-stewart-eat.gif

I'll tell you what happened:
This happened!
upload_2022-1-20_17-17-40.jpeg
8042156_crop_exact.jpg

1388329937000-USP-MMA-UFC-168-Weidman-vs-Silva.jpg

I never invited friends or family to watch an MMA card after that!!!
Unless you are a fan already, you stay away from me during events!!!!!!

I have casuals(mostly neighbors) over all the time and so far the only two events out of roughly 30-40 in past 2 years they gave a shit about was tryson fury wilder 3 and mcgregor porier 3. Theyve also mentioned jake pauls name more times than all other ufc fighters combined during that span.

#facts

Listen, yes I have. In fact, my buddy wasn't interested at all but his girlfriend was. She was actually paying attention and asking questions and I had opinions on who she thought was winning.

I once convinced a group of friends to watch Ferguson-Khabib with me.

The fight fell through the day before and Woodley-Wonderboy II became the main event...I was apologising to them throughout that fight and haven't tried to get them to watch since

Fellow sherbros, have you ever tried to recruit non-MMA fans into this crazy sport. I myself, like fellow sherdoggers, am a virgin living in my mother’s basement. I pray to the Just Bleed God, and believe fighters live rent free in each others heads. I am a loser but am self-aware enough to not tell others I am a MMA fan to avoid public shaming but there was a time I tried to convert people into MMA fans.

One particular fight I remember was Nick Diaz vs Carlos Condit. I really wish people could understand the buzz going into the Condit-Diaz fight. Fans legitimately thought it was going to be MMA’s version of Gatti-Ward or Hagler-Hearns. A lot of people were looking forward to that fight and telling non-MMA fans to tune it, that was the talk on Sherdog pre-fight. I told so many people to tune in because it was going to be all out action.

When the fights was over, I was in disbelief. I felt more ashamed than I usually do. That was the last time I tried to bring fans to the sport. I usually don’t even tell people I’m an MMA fan anymore.

Cain vs JDS 1 , was a flop for me trying to get people interested that were more boxing fans.

I think Cro Cop vs Gonzaga made a lot of people feel that way.

I think Cro Cop vs Gonzaga made a lot of people feel that way.

Yes! I remember telling people about Pride and how the fighters were better. I remember hyping up Crocop, only for him to get flatlined. Similar thing happened with Shogun before he fought Griffin.

Yeah, it was so bad that he felt like he wasted his half of the money and never came back lol. I told him I will pay, he can keep the money, but never invited him again.

Yes! I remember telling people about Pride and how the fighters were better. I remember hyping up Crocop, only for him to get flatlined. Similar thing happened with Shogun before he fought Griffin.
Yea I knew Shogun was coming into that fight with bum knees and I knew Forrest could be a dog. Cro Cop was murdering people in Pride with those head kicks for years only to have him come out and get finished like that. I think another situation was Fedor coming over to strikeforce and getting finished by Bigfoot and then Dan.

Ha! That's the fight that first jump into my head, Diaz vs. Condit. Told not one, but two (my only) two friends, that this is guaranteed insane action. Natural Born Killer vs. the original Stockton gangster. Worst fight ever, based on expectations.

The second fight that comes to my mind is Francis Ngannou vs. Derrick Lewis. I was like, seriously, forget what I said about Diaz vs. Condit, the Predator vs. the Black Beast? Someone is going to be unconscious in less than 5 mins.

Egg on face.

The last time I did that was Strikeforce Nashville.
3 title fights that I expected to be mostly striking bouts. Lawal goes lay-n-pray against Mousasi and couldn't get him to watch the rest of the card.

Told him about the big brawl afterwards and he wasn't impressed.

I liked Condit vs Diaz
I agree with the decision too but it was close

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltonmjr
Back