"Everyone who lifts seriously can deadlift 4 plates in a year?"

scandibro

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I often hear things like this thrown around on the internet and it bothers my ego since my record is 185 kg or about 4 plates for you americans.

True or false?

False. It's obviously a generalization...big difference between a 250lb'er and a 150lb'er pulling 405. But in the case that you are at least moderately large, it would be the norm to be able to accomplish this within a year of sound training, assuming there were no pre-existing biomechanical deficiencies.

Last edited:
Anyone? No, anyone that is fairly athletic and is 180lbs+? yea I could see that. if they trained it hard.

If I had been as consistant as I should've, I probably would've had it in about a year. (took me about a year and 2 months or so.) I believe I weighed around 180 at the time.

It took me a bit more than 2 years but I started at 16 , spent more than a year in a very crappy gym , got injured , had no coaching and trained in a very bad atmosphere.

I did it at 90 kg at the time after maybe 1 year myself.

I never see anyone deadlift though. I also never see anyone squat significant numbers and I've been part of at least 5 commercial gyms. I did see one dude rep 140 kg on squat which I thought was impressive as he didn't look like he juiced.

So I really question if I wouldn't have seen more people put up those kinds of lifts if people were really strong?

I've seen plenty of people bench more than 100 kg though.

I suppose to soothe my fragile ego I should just get some more numbers on my max. When can you say, good job man, you're not a weak pussy? 200 kg? 210? 220?

"Every at least averaged sized fully physically capable male who lifts seriously with good training can deadlift 400lbs in a year, barring outside complications." That would be the most correct way of re-stating the quote above, but most likely the person being quoted was directing his statement towards exactly that group, so didn't feel the need to specify.

I did it at 90 kg at the time after maybe 1 year myself.

I never see anyone deadlift though. I also never see anyone squat significant numbers and I've been part of at least 5 commercial gyms. I did see one dude rep 140 kg on squat which I thought was impressive as he didn't look like he juiced.

So I really question if I wouldn't have seen more people put up those kinds of lifts if people were really strong?

I've seen plenty of people bench more than 100 kg though.

I suppose to soothe my fragile ego I should just get some more numbers on my max. When can you say, good job man, you're not a weak pussy? 200 kg? 210? 220?

I would stop feeling like a weak pussy when my deadlift is 260KG.
But then again , when I had just started , I thought I would feel strong when my bench gets to 100lbs. I could barely bench the bar back then.

Anyone? No, anyone that is fairly athletic and is 180lbs+? yea I could see that. if they trained it hard.

If I had been as consistant as I should've, I probably would've had it in about a year. (took me about a year and 2 months or so.) I believe I weighed around 180 at the time.

^This. I lost a hundred pounds when I was a freshman in college. After about 18 months of regular exercise, I was down to about 185, and I could easily deadlift 405. This was before I started doing real strength training and was focused on doing cardio 5-6 days a week.

It's obviously a generalization, but I don't think there's too much wrong with it. I'm pulling 335lbs/150kg at a skinny 5'7" 148lbs/67kg (hitting new PR's weekly). I've been lifting since April.

I did it in a year and a half while putting most of my energy into BJJ and wrestling. I weigh 181lbs currently. Just some food for thought.

I started DL'ing about a year ago. By last christmas I was pulling 145kg for reps but then i had a real bad knee injury and couldn't train properly for about 5 months, its still sort of recovering, but doesn't really affect performance. My numbers now post injury are 160kg for 4 reps and 180kg 1RM, but I only attempted that a couple of times and made it only once. Now that my leg is getting better I'm aiming for 200kg by year end and triple BW by April.

been training less than a year and pulling 395x5 pretty easily today. on monday i will go for 405x5. (doing squat/push/pull/off routine). could do 225x5 pretty easily when i started at a bodyweight of 170 earlier.

6'4 195lbs though so not that impressive for my size i guess.

I got it in less than a year weighing 170. I think it was 10 months. 2 years later I've only been able to add 70lbs :( I want moar newb gainz.

I think most people who weigh 170 or more should be able to get 405lb within 8 months (at the very latest) on any decent linear progression programme - provided they aren't fucking around trying to "keep their abs" or something stupid like that. Add a few more months if they are doing an intense sport.

almost there myself.

did 170kg, on wednesday, another 2-3 weeks and I should be able to do a set of 5 at 185.

I couldnt even tell you how long I've been lifting seriously. Life plays in mysterious ways. been in and out of the gym for ~2 years. havent really had a consistent run for more than a few months at a time, went without a gym for over 6 months late last year. just keep working and you will get there.

It took me a year just to learn how to use my hamstrings and how to keep my lower back from rounding.

I still haven't pulled it, I weight 210lbs. Been training consistently for 18 months. Don't have an excuse. Pulled 175kg back in December.

Sounds about right for someone that prioritses the deadlift and eats/recovers well.

I got to 185kg in about 3-4 months deadlifting once per week at a fat 185lbs 5'6" before I changed the focus of my training as I had an andurance event to do. Now 160lbs and just started lifting again properly.

I would say someone who trains hard, pulling roughly 3 times every 2 weeks and eats well and really wants to get there will do it, for 80% of the male population anyway.

It took me about 8 months when I was doing SS. But I weighed 240 lbs.

Took me almost 2 years to go from 405 lbs. to 500 lbs. though. Peaking at a 520 lbs. pull at 245 lbs.

And then I started BJJ.

And then I had two meniscus tears and corresponding surgeries in the last year and a half.

And now my heaviest pull has been 460 lbs. x 2.

My squat sucks even more because of all of that.

I'm sad now.

Back