Everything related to Manny Pacquiao vs Floyd Mayweather goes here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally! I have been waiting for this fight for years. It's way overdue. I think Floyd has all the tools to win this easily. However, I'm a huge Miguel Cotto fan. I will be the dark horse and cheer for Cotto to pull off the upset!

War Cotto!

-J

Last edited:
Cotto is no push over and it's a fight many will watch.

Cotto has looked improved in his last several fights...and I look forward to watching this.

I like Cotto as well. And a few years ago this would be a great fight.
But if you compare it to Pac & Pbf its not in the same hemisphere.

And I like Cotto allot. But we are getting a second class fight than what could/should be happening.

off course im rooting for miguel, i know that floyd should win a dec, beacuse he cannot ko cotto imo, but this fight is going to be alot closer than many people think

Relatively easy fight for PBF.

Cotto is a blood and guts warrior and will go out on his shield, but I see PBF landing his perfectly timed hooks, straights etc.

I see PBF winning via 8th round TKO.

I think PBF has this fight in the bag, even a prime Cotto would have had all sorts of problems with PBF. That being said, I'm just glad this fight is finally taking place. It was long over due.

After all the drama with Mayweather and Pacquiao, I'm actually going to root for Miguel Cotto. It would be absolutely hilarious if he pulled off the upset. I can see it now.

Manny Pacquiao: "Remember when I requested the 50-50 split? Well now I want 70%, you just lost to Cotto."

Floyd Mayweather: "That's ludicrous. I'm still the most defensive genius in the world. Im the Money Man."

Manny Pacquiao: "Man, fuck you and yo couch! I'm the Pacman! 70-30 split or nothing."

Alright, I'm done spewing juvenile sewage from my finger tips. War Cotto! :icon_lol:

-J

Why all the hate on this fight? When did Cotto become a push-over in the ring?

This is a great fight and its at a weight that is good for Cotto. I am the first to try to discredit Mayweather, but really have no complaints about this fight.

I think this is a better fight than Alvarez. Cotto hsas good boxing skills as long as he isn't being pressured. I still think Mayweather takes control in 3-4 rounds and wins a UD

Don't know what people are saying about this fight being too late. He lost to Pac yes but he just avenged his loss to Marg plus he's only 31, three years younger than Mayweather. Only had one legit loss in his career.

But weren't the Mayweather fans saying Pac's fight with Cotto didn't count since Cotto was damaged goods?

I guess Cotto recovered just in time to fight Floyd.

And I wonder who Pacman fights next. Maybe he'll just rematch Margarito or Mosley. Why not? Easy pay day like he always goes for and boxing can't be more of a joke than it already is.

I really wanted this fight....... in 2006, now it's pretty irrelevant.

I doubt you wanted it in 2006.

This is still a great fight and one that I will look forward too even if I probably won't buy it out of principle.

I think Cotto has a chance if he fights perfectly. However, this fight definitely leans in the favor of Mayweather. Cotto is more of a technician now and likes to box. Earlier in his career he had more of a Castillo style where he just bull dozed all his opponents. Cotto also hit a lot harder at 140 pounds, he was a beast.

He is a different fight now after all his wars, wear and tear. Mayweather has taken very little damage in his career and doesn't fight as often as Cotto. So while he may be older in years, his body is in tip top shape. Floyd is still fighting like a youngling with brutal reflexes and counter punching.

I think the younger Cotto had a better chance than the current Cotto. I think his new found joy for boxing rather than slugging it out will play right into the hands of Floyd. I hope I am wrong. Believe me, I so want Cotto to pull off an upset.

I will be rooting for Cotto on the 5th of May! ;)

-J

But weren't the Mayweather fans saying Pac's fight with Cotto didn't count since Cotto was damaged goods?

I guess Cotto recovered just in time to fight Floyd.

Assuming you mean a Pac/Cotto rematch, I said that and I still think Cotto/Floyd is a good fight.

Cotto is a good fighter but stylistically, he doesn't match up well with Pacquiao. I will be interested to see what happens stylistically when Cotto meets Floyd though.

I got Floyd by stoppage around the 10th round.

That's a little misleading. Floyd makes all these ridiculous demands and it's on Manny because he didn't say okay to everything??

Yes.

You're forgetting that the first time around, Floyds name was on the contract. Arum himself said that. He gave Manny the weight, the gloves, split on the purse, a ten million dollar per pound penalty for missing weight, and asked for one thing himself.

Pac fought Clottey.

You guys need to stop making it sound as though Pac has been desperatley trying to make this fight because the facts are out there. If Pac wanted Floyd, the fight would have happened a couple of years ago.

Assuming you mean a Pac/Cotto rematch, I said that and I still think Cotto/Floyd is a good fight.

Cotto is a good fighter but stylistically, he doesn't match up well with Pacquiao. I will be interested to see what happens stylistically when Cotto meets Floyd though.

I agree with Seano here.. I'm pretty stoked about Mayweather vs. Cotto. I never bought for one second that Cotto was washed up. I think he is better than ever with his new coach too. When I first saw him in the amateurs, he was a graceful stick and move fighter.. then he turned pro and gave that up to become a flat footed tito impersonator. Now he is getting back to his roots, and I think he is a handfull for anybody including Pac as a result.

I will be utterly shocked if Floyd knocks out Cotto. Cotto is going to dance and fight smart.. not wade into counters.. this is going the distance and might be an interesting chess match.. I got May 8-4, but Cotto will def have his moments.

Last edited:

If Cotto is still working with the Cuban trainer that had him using his feet in the Margarito fight, stylistically I don't think he has a chance against floyd. No way in hell he outboxes floyd from the outside. Cotto's only chance is to turn this into a brawl and with the wear-and-tear Cotto has already accumulated, i'm not sure his body can hold up for that kind of fight.

I agree with Seano here.. I'm pretty stoked about Mayweather vs. Cotto. I never bought for one second that Cotto was washed up. I think he is better than ever with his new coach too. When I first saw him in the amateurs, he was a graceful stick and move fighter.. then he turned pro and gave that up to because a flat footed tito impersonator. Now he is getting back to his roots, and I think he is a handfull for anybody including Pac as a result.

I will be utterly shocked if Floyd knocks out Cotto. Cotto is going to dance and fight smart.. not wade into counters.. this is going the distance and might be an interesting chess match.. I got May 8-4, but Cotto will def have his moments.

If Cotto comes to fight, Floyd knocks him out. If Cotto gets dinged and goes into survival mode, he makes it to the final bell.

I would have preferred the Alvarez fight because in spots Cotto fights not to lose matches so this could turn out to be a tactical stinker with both guys trying to outpoint one another...Alvarez like Ortiz would come in to win and risk everything which in turn creates a nice pressure fighter vs. counterpuncher match-up...I don't like the technical aspect of this match-up at all...the only thing selling it are the names...

Secondly this removes momentum from a Pac/PBF fight because if he wins a decision people will say he beat Pac's leftovers and didnt KO him, even though he isn't (to my knowledge) fighting a weight drained Cotto coming off of a serious beating...people will say pac doesn't need to fight him etc...there will be more crap about the money split...

I'll decide if I'm watching this later, but something tells me this will be a really slow close fight and no one is going to be happy with the judges verdict...also I'll be damned if I'm watching another 24/7 featuring these guys...there isn't anything else I need to know about them that hasn't been covered the other 3-4 times...

If Cotto comes to fight, Floyd knocks him out. If Cotto gets dinged and goes into survival mode, he makes it to the final bell.

Mayweather can't do what Shane and Pac couldn't imo... I can see him getting dropped by a pot shot, but I don't see May opening up on somebody as accurate and powerful as Cotto. He is going to play it safe and stick to his potshot game. Also, Cotto is going to come to fight.. that doesn't mean that he is going to stand in front of Mayweather.. He is going to be one of the first people to force May to move laterally constantly and chase him in my opinion.

That's what I see happening..

If Cotto is still working with the Cuban trainer that had him using his feet in the Margarito fight, stylistically I don't think he has a chance against floyd. No way in hell he outboxes floyd from the outside. Cotto's only chance is to turn this into a brawl and with the wear-and-tear Cotto has already accumulated, i'm not sure his body can hold up for that kind of fight.

No way in hell does he get inside and beat May.. his only chance is to use his lateral movement and look to flurry and then keep moving FLoyd around.. Floyd likes to plant his feet and play the blinking game. He likes to dive in from that base with big shots and then pop back out to safety.. well lateral movement limits that area of his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back