Excuses for Islam

He looked really tired by the fifth and slowed down significantly. Other than the fifth, he was winning all the rounds in my opinion, although with subpar performance, but that's cuz Volk is a fucking machine, and his small stature is just really hard to keep down.

He looked really tired by the fifth and slowed down significantly. Other than the fifth, he was winning all the rounds in my opinion, although with subpar performance, but that's cuz Volk is a fucking machine, and his small stature is just really hard to keep down.
He was winning the 5th till the knock down in the last,minute

Lol Islam was being so cocky leading up to the fight that he deserved to lose. He was talking about koing volk in 2 rounds and shit, now he looks like a fool even in a win.

He’s got the W and that’s all that really matters. Most feel the decision was correct so, this fight will fade into people remembering Volk did good, but not enough to get the win. Similar to Izzy/Jan.

However he did talk a lot about Volk being small leading up to the fight which took all the pressure off.

Islam looked a bit sickly imo before the fight.
But everyone has problems going into a fight.
Nevertheless, Islam's striking was surprisingly good. He won by mixing up the grappling with striking - MMA.

Do you think something contributed to his performance? He had a bad weight cut, didn't have time to hydrate, khabib wasn't there, the Perth crowd got him shook.
I don't think it was anything and volk was just that fucking good and damn near unbeatable but I'm interested to hear opinions.
No excuses are necessary because islam won.

The reason long winning streaks and multiple title defenses are so impressive is because eventually you’ll have a bad night, and the great ones can win even on a bad night. Yesterday was a bad night for islam and he still won. People are shitting on him but it’s impressive.

He did stack the deck against himself by taking the fight in Volk's backyard. Whatever the case, I see Volk getting a rematch if the two continue to dominate their weight classes. Hopefully the next fight will be on neutral ground.
Lets not forget Volk is 34 yo already. By the time they face each other again Volk would be past his prime

What ? Islam did a great fight and won fair and square. He didn't have a bad performance at all, he had a tough oppenent in front of him who's one of the best fighters on earth.

No excuses needed.

Funny, if not for that last minute Hail Mary, we would have been talking about one-sided almost domination. Also, it is interesting the aura of khabib even just being in the corner of his boys. Definitely no excuses for Islam, but would be interesting to see if any different strategy or adjustments or mental fortitude for Islam would have been evident.

Bad weight cut and less recovery time for that fight, still won. Probably much better performance for next fight

Last edited:
Back