Extremely irritated by the support for Anthony Smith's performance.

VenomCarnage

R.I.P. FRANKIENYC
@Brown
Reaction score
This dude was well and truly handed a participation trophy on Saturday night.

Everyone and their mother knew that he belonged nowhere near a title fight, never mind a title fight against an amazing fighter like Jon Jones. But you know what, he played the humble hero, the aw shucks guy with glasses, beast in the cage but nice guy outside it. He beats one contender and due to the super slim division he's handed a shot.

With all that said, this guy tried to play mind games with Jon. He tried to give the whole Chris Weidman shtick about "I'm not going to stand in front of Jon and freeze", "so many of Jon's opponents lose before they even get in the cage", blah, blah, blah, blah. At least Teh Chris actually went in there and gave it 100%, this guy went in there and did exactly what he said he would never do, he stared at Jon Jones and admired him for 25 minutes.

I'm Lionheart, I never quit, I never break! Dude, you were curled up in a ball in the 4th round, hoping, praying for it to be over. The guy had a million and one opportunities to fight back to his feet and try to mount offense, but he'd rather sit down against the cage and just hope Jones would put 5 strikes together for Herb to stop it. All Jon needed to do was bail out on one big front choke attempt and he would have quit.

Oh oh, but he could have quit and took a DQ win, what an honorable man! Guys, even he knew that the backlash would ruin his career, he was never going to be able to live with that tarnishing moment in his life - he'd be laughed out of town.

He fought an unfocused, lazy, soft version of Jones who took it easy on him.

I feel like it was only Cruz who was genuinely disgusted with his performance, everyone else appeared to celebrate the guy.

Call me harsh, but I don't ever want to watch an Anthony Smith fight again.

Last edited:
We get it, you are triggered.

He went the distance with one of the GOATs and showed a lot of toughness, heart, and honor. GTFO

After the first round self preservation was the only thing on his mind. I can't blame him but he's lucky Jones didnt turn up the heat.

WelllitFrayedFoxterrier.gif

You're definitely a little harsh but yeah, Lionheart didn't want to go out on his shield unfortunately.

In the post-fight presser he kept saying "Jon did everything I expected, I just didn't do what I was supposed to for some reason" No shit, any time you tried something you got CHEWED UP.

Not that surprising though, I posted this 2 months ago:
I just hope that Anthony Smith is going into this fighting prepared to go out on his shield and not try to survive a decision loss

VenomCarnage? Seriously with that name? Lol

Don't blame Smith for taking punishment like a man.
Blame Jones for not even trying to finish someone who "belonged nowhere near a title fight".

VenomCarnage? Seriously with that name? Lol
Well I used to be The Natural Born Runner, but I got banned for backing up Khabib on people attacking his religion to promote fights.

He admits he froze, didn’t listen to his corner, and did lots wrong. So he agrees with you more than you think.

This dude was well and truly handed a participation trophy on Saturday night.

Everyone and their mother knew that he belonged nowhere near a title fight, never mind a title fight against an amazing fighter like Jon Jones. But you know what, he played the humble hero, the aw shucks guy with glasses, beast in the cage but nice guy outside it. He beats one contender and due to the super slim division he's handed a shot.

With all that said, this guy tried to play mind games with Jon. He tried to give the whole Chris Weidman shtick about "I'm not going to stand in front of Jon and freeze", "so many of Jon's opponents lose before they even get in the cage", blah, blah, blah, blah. At least Teh Chris actually went in there and gave it 100%, this guy went in there and did exactly what he said he would never do, he stared at Jon Jones and admired him for 25 minutes.

I'm Lionheart, I never quit, I never break! Dude, you were curled up in a ball in the 4th round, hoping, praying for it to be over. The guy had a million and one opportunities to fight back to his feet and try to mount offense, but he'd rather sit down against the cage and just hope Jones would put 5 strikes together for Herb to stop it. All Jon needed to do was bail out on one big front choke attempt and he would have quit.

Oh oh, but he could have quit and took a DQ win, what an honorable man! Guys, even he knew that the backlash would ruin his career, he was never going to be able to live with that tarnishing moment in his life - he'd be laughed out of town.

He fought an unfocused, lazy, soft version of Jones who took it easy on him.

I feel like it was only Cruz who was genuinely disgusted with his performance, everyone else appeared to celebrate the guy.

Call me harsh, but I don't ever want to watch an Anthony Smith fight again.
Got to agree... he was a human punching bag. Stood there in JJ range while he teed off on him..

He fought to not get finished + some people just freeze up when they’re facing the best fighter to ever set foot in the octagon

He went the distance with one of the GOATs and showed a lot of toughness, heart, and honor. GTFO

I get the honor thing, and he was tough. But heart is more than surviving, it's about finding the will to fight back.

Smith didn't fight back. He didn't go out on his shield. He didn't leave it all in the Octagon. I get where TS is coming from.

im with TS, i dont see how everyone is jumping on him lol. This is a dude who clamied he wouldnt be scared and was going to knock jon jones out. He fought scared and didnt seem to really try to knock him out. Wolf Tickets.

that said he was fighting the god damn goat lol just making it to the bell is impressive.

I was disappointed too. I didn't expect him to win but nothing in his previous fights made me think he would become completely passive. Rashad Evans, who lost to Smith, put up an infinitely better fight against Jones.

I agree Smith got a fairly undeserved title shot, and that he did get caught in the Jon Jones hypnotic spell; but he also still did better than I thought he would, at least early on.

And you not giving Smith credit for not taking the DQ road, or trying to somehow paint that as fear, is insane. That was sheer dignity, & true warrior spirit on display right there.

Back