Extremely irritated by the support for Anthony Smith's performance.

That's because you are a dumbass armchair warrior who thinks you would do better.

And you are just too fucking stupid to see that you should have known this.

It is easy to speak how you will do in the cage. But once you get someone as good as Jon inside the octagon, things look different. Jon is the hunter, and you are the prey.

People give him props for not quitting on a fight he had a golden opportunity to do so. and EVERYONE AGREE that if he wanted, he could capitalize on this and there's NOTHING anyone could do to stop him.
And yet he did do the honorable thing.

Let us not forget GDR who run from Cyborg and.... well.... she couldn't fucking care less of what you think of her. She can say she was the first EVER Woman's UFC Featherweight champion and she would be right.

And more! Jon would surely get a rematch which Smith, as the CHAMPION would make bank! a lot more than going back and fighting other contenders.

So you are wrong on all accounts.
You are just too fucking stupid to realize it.

oh, and BTW, don't watch him! He won't care and you will be doing us a favor by nor crying about it later.

I get it that he was in there with The GOAT, but we’ve seen people take worse beatings and continue to fight. Look at someone like Shogun, who was half dead at one point against Hendo, but his spirit could not be broken. Naturally, a lot of people would look at Smith and question his spirit/heart and wonder why the misplaced praise. It’s not hating and it’s ok to criticize an athlete.

I get it that he was in there with The GOAT, but we’ve seen people take worse beatings and continue to fight. Look at someone like Shogun, who was half dead at one point against Hendo, but his spirit could not be broken. Naturally, a lot of people would look at Smith and question his spirit/heart and wonder why the misplaced praise. It’s not hating and it’s ok to criticize an athlete.
I don't mind criticizing an athlete.
But this is flat out bashing.
There's a huge difference.

Yep. He froze. Didn't know what to do.

It was a bit harsh not wrong in thinking it though
I tend to disagree.
Jon is one of the best MMA fighters of all time.
Disagree if you want, but that won't change the fact he is (at least) the currently-active most skilled one.

So a fighter climbs up a thin division and gets a title shot against him.
He seemed like a deer in headlights. So what?
Even if YOU had hopes and expected differently, this is not HIS problem. It was the wrong expectation on YOUR part.
Discounting on him and being rude just shows short sighting on your side, not his.
I mean, legends like Shogun got beaten so bad he called in quits. Smith not only didn't, he had the chance to stop and become the champ and he did not.

If you can't do better, don't bash those who tried. He simply did his best.
You can be disappointed. But don't go from that to being vicious towards someone who tried his best.

Remember: GSP froze against Hughes in their first fight.
Is normal!

I tend to disagree.
Jon is one of the best MMA fighters of all time.
Disagree if you want, but that won't change the fact he is (at least) the currently-active most skilled one.

So a fighter climbs up a thin division and gets a title shot against him.
He seemed like a deer in headlights. So what?
Even if YOU had hopes and expected differently, this is not HIS problem. It was the wrong expectation on YOUR part.
Discounting on him and being rude just shows short sighting on your side, not his.
I mean, legends like Shogun got beaten so bad he called in quits. Smith not only didn't, he had the chance to stop and become the champ and he did not.

If you can't do better, don't bash those who tried. He simply did his best.
You can be disappointed. But don't go from that to being vicious towards someone who tried his best.

Remember: GSP froze against Hughes in their first fight.
Is normal!

GSP was on his 8th fight—Smith on his 45th.

Ben Askren had the option to not fight back in his fight, but he fought back. But not to digress here, it’s not the fact that he didn’t fight back. He’s not the first and won’t be the last to do that. It’s the fact that people are praising him for taking a beating, but time again we see others take worse beatings and fight back. People are not taking issue with him, as much as they are taking issue with the praise, which seems a little misplaced, when we saw being next level timid in the cage.

Woodly was dominated in similar fashion, but no one is going around praising him for hanging in there.

GSP was on his 8th fight—Smith on his 45th.

Ben Askren had the option to not fight back in his fight, but he fought back. But not to digress here, it’s not the fact that he didn’t fight back. He’s not the first and won’t be the last to do that. It’s the fact that people are praising him for taking a beating, but time again we see others take worse beatings and fight back. People are not taking issue with him, as much as they are taking issue with the praise, which seems a little misplaced, when we saw being next level timid in the cage.

Woodly was dominated in similar fashion, but no one is going around praising him for hanging in there.

That's because you are being blatantly dishonest.
Woodley did not almost get soccer kicked in the face nor blatantly kneed in the head.
Neither were Woodley facing their division GOAT.
GSP was facing the divisional GOAT and he froze as well. And he also did not have the opportunity to get the win.

People are praising him for not taking the easy way and giving up when opportunity presented itself.
And it did not present to anyone you mentioned, so your examples are all wrong.

That's because you are being blatantly dishonest.
Woodley did not almost get soccer kicked in the face nor blatantly kneed in the head.
Neither were Woodley facing their division GOAT.
GSP was facing the divisional GOAT and he froze as well. And he also did not have the opportunity to get the win.

People are praising him for not taking the easy way and giving up when opportunity presented itself.
And it did not present to anyone you mentioned, so your examples are all wrong.

GSP was on his 8th fight—Smith in his 45th

Also, you bring up this GSP example from a fight he was winning until making a rookie mistake and getting caught in a submission. He didn’t freeze.

I just watched the fight. It seems Smith gave up in the 3rd round. He really didn't want to get finished. And even though Jon kicked his ass, it could have looked wayy worse. Almost like Jon kinda sorta went easy on him, but still kinda made him look like shit. And Jon doesn't look particularly amazing playing with his prey. This was worse than the Glover fight. I mean, not a horrible performance by Jones, but Glover looked better despite being hurt more. It was just weird fight. Don't think I'd watch it again.

After the first round self preservation was the only thing on his mind. I can't blame him but he's lucky Jones didnt turn up the heat.

i thought this was interesting also, the fact that Jones didn't turn it up.

Jones also said he was uncharacteristically tired in the 5th rd, i have a feeling Jones is literally getting too big.

he never said anything like that before, but he's noticeably larger than he was before.

I lost respect for him for not taking the DQ.

Jones is a cheater and does not deserve the belt. Smith should have taken it from him when he had the chance. He certainly wasn't trying to win any other way. When someone is on steroids and intentionally fouling you inside the cage, you don't let him get away with it if you have the opportunity.

I don't care about any argument that it would be unethical or not a real win. Jones threw that all out the window a long time ago. No clean fighter is beating him in a fair fight at 205.

Either try to win or play the game as dirty as Jones does. Smith did neither.

GSP was on his 8th fight—Smith in his 45th

Also, you bring up this GSP example from a fight he was winning until making a rookie mistake and getting caught in a submission. He didn’t freeze.
By GSP's own account, he did.
Look for the interview where he speaks about their first fight. He said that he was star-struck and that took him off his game.

And while Smith fought more, this was the first elite fighter (in his prime) that he faced.

By GSP's own account, he did.
Look for the interview where he speaks about their first fight. He said that he was star-struck and that took him off his game.

And while Smith fought more, this was the first elite fighter (in his prime) that he faced.

Being starstruck didn't prevent GSP from fighting. Smith was doing next to nothing.

Being starstruck didn't prevent GSP from fighting. Smith was doing next to nothing.
different styles, different fight.
Hughes was a great wrestler with good BJJ. His game was to take people down and use his amazing strength and BJJ.
Jon keeps the fight standing.

Completely different fighters on either side of the cage.

You're not too harsh. This was the OP that needed to be said. Agree with it all.

I was shouting, "just fucking do something..." during the fight.

Back