FAA to test whether packed planes affect evacuation time

ralphc1

Titanium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
FAA to test whether packed planes affect evacuation time

I saw this headline and thought it was rather stupid to see if packed planes affect evacuation time. I thought maybe it was just a clickbait title. Of course it takes more time to get more people off a plane. Maybe they should have said they are testing to see how much longer it takes not whether it affects the times. Reading the article, it became apparent that the FAA doesn't know that it will take longer.

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — The size of your seat and how much legroom you’ll get on a future flight could be decided by 720 Oklahomans taking part in a first-of-its-kind test to determine if jam-packed planes slow emergency evacuations.

Frequent flyers on U.S. airlines are all too aware that cramped economy cabins are detrimental to comfort. But federal officials who write airline safety rules have never tested whether smaller seats or tightly packed rows have any effect on evacuation time.

“It is a big pet peeve of flyers, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that there is a safety issue,” said Stacey Zinke-McKee, a medical-research official at the Federal Aviation Administration facility in Oklahoma City where the tests are being conducted.

FAA to test whether packed planes affect evacuation time.
Ah, yes. That is a no-brainer. FAA being stupid as usual, and millions of dollars will be spent on this stupid test.

* FAA will also be testing to see if gravity on Earth still exists. They will be dropping a bowling ball from a tower 100 feet high...

One A hole in the aisle....that’s all it takes..

They should test whether fat fucks hinder an evacuation. I'm going to guess yes, because those fuckers take 5mins to settle into their seat and 10 to get out of it.

Could they mean now that airlines have removed all leg room to allow for even more seats as opposed to the more common way of designing seating years ago?

Years ago, I watched a documentary about making skyscrapers more safe during an emergecny.

A big issue (no pun intended) is that fire escapes outside of buildings and stairwells inside of buildings were designed based upon the average person's size back in 1945.

Since the average American is larger than they were 74 years ago, its takes much longer for a building to be evacuated.

So, it's not the amount of people that need to get out of the plane, it's also the size of the people that impact how long it takes to get out of the plane.

As long as folks aren't trying to grab their luggage (like that one video where the people in the back of the plane died because of some idiots.)

As long as folks aren't trying to grab their luggage (like that one video where the people in the back of the plane died because of some idiots.)
Guarantee it’s gonna happen.

We live in a world where people are so selfish that they risk other people’s lives by texting and driving. To douchebags like that, leaving their luggage behind is not an option.

Well I mean...if for some reason my ps4 was in my luggage. Wait your fucking turn before the plane blows up.

Many times when a plane has to be evacuated in an emergency, one or more doors can't be used. If there's a fire on one side or if there is damage that jams a door or two, it can be very difficult to get people out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derik
Back