Facebook isn't backing off Messenger for kids, despite critics

JonesBones

Excuse my contraflow
@Steel
Reaction score
Get em addicted young. They funded their own experts too

NEW YORK – Facebook is forging ahead with its messaging app for kids, despite child experts who have pressed the company to shut it down and others who question Facebook’s financial support of some advisers who approved of the app.

Throughout, Facebook has touted a team of advisers, academics and families who helped shape the app in the year before it launched.

But a Wired report this week pointed out that more than half of this safety advisory board had financial ties to the company. Facebook confirmed this and said it hasn’t hidden donations to these individuals and groups – although it hasn’t publicized them, either.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...off-messenger-kids-despite-critics/346513002/

On January 30, 2018, the Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood (CCFC) sent Facebook a letter signed by dozens of experts in childhood health, education, and media imploring the company to shut down the app, citing concerns that it would “undermine children’s healthy development.”

The letter referenced a number of peer-reviewed studies linking teen and preteen social media use to unhealthy sleep habits, depression, body image issues, and more

Welp now it's up the parents to parent their kids.

tenor.gif

Facebook is killing itself. Terrible publicity. The Russian shit and fake news and now this Kids app. Hope this brings them down. Smash the screen.

I don’t see the problem here. The more facebook messenger for kids apps there are, the safer they are from cyber bullying. It’s the messenger for kids-free school zones that are allowing those with messengers to harass those that don’t have em. Science, bro.

I swear when I have kids I will not let them sign up for facebook until they are 18.

Is this where they can all sign up and play lord of the flies together?

Back