Families of Newtown victims sue rifle manufacturer

So, we're starting with kids already with typically large behavioral issues and throw in parental issues. Hard to pin that on the drugs.

Its complicated for sure. I'd be interested to know what % of these shooters were or had been on them. Also the chart of the shootings by decade is pretty indicative of........something , not sure what but thats a pretty abrupt rise there

I don't think it's a coincidence that school shootings have increased with the rise of prescription meds.

1950s - 21
1960s - 17
1970s - 22
1980s - 34
1990s - 45
2000s - 50
2010s - 106

Keep in mind, evil and scary "assault" rifles like the AR have been available to the public since the 60s.

My theory is that it's the 90's when demonization of guns started to become big. Just like when they try to crack down on drugs and end up making them more appealing to teenagers. Of course you still need to be a serious psycho to shoot up your school so it's a limited effect.

I don't think it's a coincidence that school shootings have increased with the rise of prescription meds.

1950s - 21
1960s - 17
1970s - 22
1980s - 34
1990s - 45
2000s - 50
2010s - 106

Keep in mind, evil and scary "assault" rifles like the AR have been available to the public since the 60s.

Source? those numbers don't look right. the 2010's are less than half over and somehow they have more than twice the number of school shootings than the ultra violent 1990s? I don't buy it.

My theory is that it's the 90's when demonization of guns started to become big. Just like when they try to crack down on drugs and end up making them more appealing to teenagers. Of course you still need to be a serious psycho to shoot up your school so it's a limited effect.

Than how do you explain the more than 50% drop in teen murder since the mid 90's?

I guess they forgot this guy killed more people with a glock and a .22 pistol

cho_large.jpg

I guess they forgot this guy killed more people with a glock and a .22 pistol

cho_large.jpg

multiple high capacity magazines let you do that. Which i believe was the whole point behind the 'ar-15's should be banned' thing. You got a weapon thats easy to shoot and has the capacity to do a LOT of shooting. Thats kind of the reason the military and civilians like it so much. If you gotta put a lot of lead down range in a light weight and handy platform the AR-15 is pretty good way to do it.

On that note, if you ARE aiming at shooting up a bunch of noncoms, a pistol would probably be more effective. Its lighter, faster to employ, magazines and ammo are smaller, lighter and easier to carry in bulk and you can carry more than one weapon should you need it. I've always asserted however that Pistols were a deadlier risk to civilians than rifles were and the data backs it up.

I don't think it's a coincidence that school shootings have increased with the rise of rock music, Walmart, faster cars, cleaner water

1950s - 21
1960s - 17
1970s - 22
1980s - 34
1990s - 45
2000s - 50
2010s - 106

multiple high capacity magazines let you do that. Which i believe was the whole point behind the 'ar-15's should be banned' thing. You got a weapon thats easy to shoot and has the capacity to do a LOT of shooting. Thats kind of the reason the military and civilians like it so much. If you gotta put a lot of lead down range in a light weight and handy platform the AR-15 is pretty good way to do it.

On that note, if you ARE aiming at shooting up a bunch of noncoms, a pistol would probably be more effective. Its lighter, faster to employ, magazines and ammo are smaller, lighter and easier to carry in bulk and you can carry more than one weapon should you need it. I've always asserted however that Pistols were a deadlier risk to civilians than rifles were and the data backs it up.
Then why aren't they focusing on "high capacity" magazines instead of evil and scary "assault" rifles?

I am pro gun control but this is stupid. If selling those weapons is legal, manufacturers arent responsibleof crimes commited with them.

I for one, will be watching....

LUCHA UNDERGROUND on Wednesdays at 8PM ET/PT

does anyone in here actually know that the AR-15 WASN'T used in the shooting in Newtown???

The AR-15 was found in the truck of the car. It was NEVER used in the shooting spree.

Handguns were the ONLY firearms used in Newtown.

Do some research people. This is nothing but a publicity stunt for the gun grabbing liberals. Nothing but a mind control trick for the mass media. The damn AR-15 was sitting in the truck of the car when the killings took place.

Actually, an AR-15 *was* used in the shootings. It was initially reported that Lanza had two handguns (a Glock and a Sig Sauer) and a shotgun, and left an AR-15 in the trunk of his car. It was later verified that he was carrying an AR-15 and had a shotgun in the trunk.

That said: demonizing AR-15 clones for the carnage is stupid. Suing Bushmaster is at least as stupid if not moreso.

Lanza's mother had a modest personal arsenal of weaponary that she kept unsecured in a home she shared with her son, who had...

[CONT'D]

[CONT'D]

...a history of serious mental illness. Thus, the blame falls to Adam Lanza, with a larger share to his mother. Reckless/careless firearms handling is to blame, as it is for most of these "tragedies."

But it wouldn't be nice to pick on the crazy kid or his dead mother, and neither of them have deep enough pockets to make them worth suing.

So: blame Bushmaster, and their scary-looking aSsault rifles.

Then why aren't they focusing on "high capacity" magazines instead of evil and scary "assault" rifles?

ummm...they ARE focused on. A lot. Just about every single major debate that stemmed from Sandy Hook included and tended to focus on banning high capacity magazine. You cant even do a google search for high capacity magazine without ban coming up and the first 100 links being directly related to the fall out from sandy hook.

ummm...they ARE focused on. A lot. Just about every single major debate that stemmed from Sandy Hook included and tended to focus on banning high capacity magazine. You cant even do a google search for high capacity magazine without ban coming up and the first 100 links being directly related to the fall out from sandy hook.
I'm talking about the families suing.

I'm talking about the families suing.

What would be the claim in the suit? The guy had free reign over the school. He reloaded with full magazines in as he went from class to class even when he didn't need to. The cops found magazines that still had rounds in them.

With anything that is manufactured, there is intended use, and then there is use that falls outside of the intended use or manufacturers control. Firearms are of course designed to inflict harm on humans. But they are designed to do this in either combat situations, or defensive situations only. Gun designers are not evil people that are designing firearms to be used in tragic mass shootings. In the same way that hammer designers are not designing their hammers to be used to hit people, or car manufactures are designing cars to run people over. Are all aware that these things can happen? Of course. But if you want to start holding designers and manufacturers culpable for things that happen with their products that are obviously outside of their intended use, notbjng would ever be made.

This, as with all of these types of tragedies, is a matter of personal responsibility alone. There could be a billion AR15s in circulation, if this kid had decided not to commit this crime, it wouldn't have happened. Guns aren't walking them selves into schools and killing people on their own.

You make some good points, but the "problem" with guns, is that they are very easily, and often used outside their intended use. They are often used in the commission of violent crime - robberies, rape, murder, etc. It's a lot easier to run into a school and kill 20 people with an automatic rifle as opposed to a hammer, knife or car.

Jim Jefferies has a hilarious bit on US gun control, and it's pretty much how I feel. It's a bit long, but pretty funny, especially the 10% part, and the comparison to slavery.

[YT]fP3HJVp3n9c[/YT]

Jim Jefferies has a hilarious bit on US gun control, and it's pretty much how I feel. It's a bit long, but pretty funny, especially the 10% part, and the comparison to slavery.

Funny, but his arguments aren't very good.
Starting with the fact that Australia didn't "ban guns" in 96.
Then there was the Monash university shooting. Not to mention New Zealand also had a rash of spree shootings over that same period as Australia, didn't restrict centre-fire semi-auto rifles like we did, and hasn't had any since either.

Sandy hook...lol...where a guy who isn't real killed a bunch of people who didn't get killed because they were 5 years older than the pictures that were shown....lol

Veronique Pozner got busted on her meetme account where the older "noah" is with his twin sister....duh

Back