Family TKD Classes for a huy thinking about amateur MMA

I think the major flaw that most people here are overlooking, is that it's family oriented, and they're just turning it into a TKD flamefest. If it's family oriented, forget sparring entirely, and if you can't spar, it will in no way, shape, or form prepare you for competition.

The one local school that really seems oriented towards this is a BJJ school that also offers "MMA" classes and sparring. I don't see any schools that list any of the other styles mentioned. Most are simply "Martial Arts Schools".

I don't understand the suggestion for taking boxing lessons.
Say I took boxing and BJJ, wouldn't there still be a major gap in training in kicking and kick defense?
What then would be the best way to learn good kicking form?

I think the major flaw that most people here are overlooking, is that it's family oriented, and they're just turning it into a TKD flamefest. If it's family oriented, forget sparring entirely, and if you can't spar, it will in no way, shape, or form prepare you for competition.

It seems that a lot of people's views suggest that sparring is as or more important than "technique training".
Obviously, it is of great importance, but for a beginner with no training at all, wouldn't it be equally or even more important to get some training on technique before focusing on sparring? And if so, how would you recommend doing so?

It seems that a lot of people's views suggest that sparring is as or more important than "technique training".
Obviously, it is of great importance, but for a beginner with no training at all, wouldn't it be equally or even more important to get some training on technique before focusing on sparring? And if so, how would you recommend doing so?

No sparring, ever is a waste of time. You can learn all the theory you want, but it means nothing if you can't practically apply it.

No sparring, ever is a waste of time. You can learn all the theory you want, but it means nothing if you can't practically apply it.

So as a beginner with no training, would you suggest that I'd be best off to sign up for one day a week BJJ or MMA sparring as opposed to one day a week BJJ or MMA "training"?

If you're seriously thinking about competition, you're going to need to devote a hell of a lot more time than just one day a week of anything.

If you're seriously thinking about competition, you're going to need to devote a hell of a lot more time than just one day a week of anything.

I was waiting for that...
I realize this. Being in the earliest stages of this, one day per week of "professional" training was all I really wanted to try.
If I decide that I have potential to do well and that I enjoy the sport, then I'll devote more time/money.
I also weight train 3 days/week and bagwork/stretching/boxing/kicking 4-6 days a week. I've done this for quite a while, but I do this at home and I know that it's not the same as working with a trainer. I'll even step that up if I decide to really get into it. Also trying to find a partner for more frequent sparring, probably at home.

As I think more about it and learn more from all of your help, I'm thinking that maybe I should try the one day/week at the family TKD and one day/week in BJJ sparring. Any thoughts?

The only game in town that offers kickboxing is a "fitness kickboxing" school. I'm not sure that that's what I'm looking for...

I'm sure you won't get anything better than at that TKD place.

Stay away from TKD.

Stay away from TKD.
Can you elaborate?
It seems many are anti TKD on here.
Is it not feasible to learn decent technique from a TKD trainer?
Do they teach such an unrealistic technique that it may later hinder your ability to learn correctly?

It would seem to me that at very least I could learn the basics of kicks and learn some sort of form. But everybody here seems to feel pretty strongly against it...

i'm a betting man.
10 to 1 this thread is a joke.
it cant possibly be a serious thread.

i'm a betting man.
10 to 1 this thread is a joke.
it cant possibly be a serious thread.

It is not a joke. I am serious. Everybody has to start somewhere.
I have very little formal training.
Why does it have to be a joke that I want to start with something light to learn some sort of technique?

And I still don't understand the whole anti TKD view. If somebody would care to explain it, then maybe I would.
-Do they or do they not teach you the basics of kicks and proper form? Is this not the first place to start for somebody with very little training?
-Do you think my best bet is to throw myself head first into a more aggressive style?
-Is it a waste of my time to go and learn these basic techniques and form?
-Should I completely dismiss any training in striking technique/form and go right into sparring?

This is what I want to know, and why? Some of you are helpful, but I'd still like to know more.

Still not getting why people keep calling it a joke. Because I'm expected to show up here and act like a badass? Only trying to get into the hard stuff?

Lacks Technique

I'm inclined to agree with Payak. This thread feels like a trolling attempt.

If you're actually interested in this, can you give the town you're in and give the names of the instructors, names of the school or websites of the schools at which you're looking?

I suggest you do some research of your own and also visit several local schools. If you were serious you already would be doing this rather than being lazy and trying to get information spoonfed to you.

Lacks Technique

I'm inclined to agree with Payak. This thread feels like a trolling attempt.

If you're actually interested in this, can you give the town you're in and give the names of the instructors, names of the school or websites of the schools at which you're looking?

Sure.
The town is Erie, PA.
Here is googles list of local MA schools. Mostly just "self defense" and fitness oriented.
Pennsylvania just this year started to allow MMA at all and it is very regulated (no head kicks, ground strikes...).
I am only looking to get into this for fun. I'm not trying to go pro. But I also don't want to get myself hurt because I have NO training.
The family program I'm thinking about is called Lund Martial Arts
We also have a BJJ school that I'm thinking about joining.

I suggest you do some research of your own and also visit several local schools. If you were serious you already would be doing this rather than being lazy and trying to get information spoonfed to you.

Doing both. Thanks for your input!

Sure.
The town is Erie, PA.
Here is googles list of local MA schools. Mostly just "self defense" and fitness oriented.
Pennsylvania just this year started to allow MMA at all and it is very regulated (no head kicks, ground strikes...).
I am only looking to get into this for fun. I'm not trying to go pro. But I also don't want to get myself hurt because I have NO training.
The family program I'm thinking about is called Lund Martial Arts
We also have a BJJ school that I'm thinking about joining.
While browsing through the website for the family program I mentioned, I realized that they don't really state any particular style, so maybe the whole TKD thing was just my misconception. I see they even have a section that talks about MMA training. My bad...

will you be taking the family.

Back