Movies FANTASTIC FOUR (Julia Garner to Play Silver Surfer, post #685)

Pedro Pascal is really good, but he's in his late 40'ies and looks pretty old. He'd be in his 50'ies well before the first film hit the screen. You'd think they would want to cast younger so the actor and role can meld together over time. It's a pretty tough role to cast, to be fair: the actor needs to radiate intelligence, but apart from that, there isn't much of a personality in the comic version to work with. They need someone with the chops to make it their own.
Pedro looks he didnt hit his stride till he was 39 when he first got noticed in GOT. He belongs in a special elite bloomer status like Harrison Ford and Steve Carrell

Last edited:
Pedro Pascal is really good, but he's in his late 40'ies and looks pretty old. He'd be in his 50'ies well before the first film hit the screen. You'd think they would want to cast younger so the actor and role can meld together over time. It's a pretty tough role to cast, to be fair: the actor needs to radiate intelligence, but apart from that, there isn't much of a personality in the comic version to work with. They need someone with the chops to make it their own.
Good point. He is a great actor. But unless they’re planning on this movie being a one and done, like every other Fantastic 4 movie, they may want to go with someone who won’t be 60 when they’re filming the third one.

Good point. He is a great actor. But unless they’re planning on this movie being a one and done, like every other Fantastic 4 movie, they may want to go with someone who won’t be 60 when they’re filming the third one.

Given the current downward trending appetite for superhero movies(not to mention the clusterfuck history of the FF movies), I'd be very shocked if this made it to part 3.

I'm not sure I see F4 saving the MCU at this point. There has yet to be a successful F4 movie by CBM standards. Really none of the casting is that needle moving either. Good chance this bombs. They dragged ass far too long on the X-Men, minimized or killed off their most popular characters, and oversaturated the brand with bad shows and movies with D level characters the GA doesn't care about.

I'm not sure I see F4 saving the MCU at this point. There has yet to be a successful F4 movie by CBM standards. Really none of the casting is that needle moving either. Good chance this bombs. They dragged ass far too long on the X-Men, minimized or killed off their most popular characters, and oversaturated the brand with bad shows and movies with D level characters the GA doesn't care about.

I agree that F4 really adds nothing to MCU. X-Men having the rights back to MCU could be good news however I think people are so accustomed to Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart as part of their iconic characters, not much of the audience would accept anyone different kind of like Christopher Reeves. It might be a long shot for MCU but if they can do something like how Christopher Nolan was able to bring Batman back after having the most trashed movie in 90s history more power to them

It's borderline insane to put any big money behind this project. The last one that tanked hard isn't even that old, and I'm sure the studio heads think it bombed due to it's messy production and negative press, but the reality is that nobody gives a shit about the Fantastic Four. It could've been the greatest FF movie ever realized, and it still would've bombed. These flicks were only mildly interesting projects, when modern CGI was making it possible to bring these characters to the screen. It's what carried those Jessica Alba shit heaps to modest returns. Those days are long gone.

I agree that F4 really adds nothing to MCU. X-Men having the rights back to MCU could be good news however I think people are so accustomed to Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart as part of their iconic characters, not much of the audience would accept anyone different kind of like Christopher Reeves. It might be a long shot for MCU but if they can do something like how Christopher Nolan was able to bring Batman back after having the most trashed movie in 90s history more power to them
NGL I would be interested if they brought in Fassbender and McAvoy. Jackman would probably be huge for them too. I don't think they could get something like a Nolan Batman with how I've heard the executives micro manage the movies. I read they don't even let some of the directors direct most of the action scenes and they handle all the editing, that they just plug a director in with little control. Personally I think they need to put out movies with their A list characters and A list actors, and put out less movies so that when they do release people anticipate them more.

It's borderline insane to put any big money behind this project. The last one that tanked hard isn't even that old, and I'm sure the studio heads think it bombed due to it's messy production and negative press, but the reality is that nobody gives a shit about the Fantastic Four. It could've been the greatest FF movie ever realized, and it still would've bombed. These flicks were only mildly interesting projects, when modern CGI was making it possible to bring these characters to the screen. It's what carried those Jessica Alba shit heaps to modest returns. Those days are long gone.
Yeah I agree. I don't remember a single kid that thought Mr Fantastic was cool when talking about super heros. He stretches ffs. The Thing always felt like discount Hulk, Sue Storm's powers really aren't that cool, only the Human Torch has awesome powers. And Doom is probably top 3 coolest Marvel villains, you'd have to cast him perfectly to draw people. Still he's nowhere near as popular as a character like the Joker. But even when I was a kid in the 80s and early 90s F4 felt antiquated. They didn't have a popular show or movie like other big super heroes. The confidence the Marvel people have in this project is a bit strange to me

Last edited:
I read they don't even let some of the directors direct most of the action scenes and they handle all the editing, that they just plug a director in with little control. Personally I think they need to put out movies with their A list characters and A list actors, and put out less movies so that when they do release people anticipate them more.
Oh yeah I remember that when Edgar Wright was originally attached to do Antman but Marvel wanted to change his ideas and script around. Im curious on how that would have ended up being a big Edgar Wright fan. I think ever since Ang Lee was given full creative control to direct The Hulk for Universal and that disappointed, Marvel was reluctant to give full control to directors. Nowadays they wouldnt give people like Denis Villeneuve or Bong Joon-Ho Marvel directors to direct because of their creative control but then again those movies are beneath the talent of those directors. The Daniels might do a good job with the X-men universe under MCU since those guys did a great job directing episodes for Legion on FX which was based on Charles Xavier's son

Last edited:
I feel like it's time for Marvel to do something truly left field to reinvigorate their universe. Like, give the Fantastic Four to the Cohen Brothers or X-Men to Tarantino - or even better see if they could get Alfonoso Cuarón interested in movies again and let him work his magic.

They need fresh ideas and a new way of looking at super hero material.

I always thought Jim Sciutto looked like Mr. Fantastic. He can do the serious scientist face.

I feel like it's time for Marvel to do something truly left field to reinvigorate their universe. Like, give the Fantastic Four to the Cohen Brothers or X-Men to Tarantino - or even better see if they could get Alfonoso Cuarón interested in movies again and let him work his magic.

Honestly, I think it's time for Kevin Feige to step aside.

Let someone else take over.

Dan Povenmire: makes shows that are entertaining to tweens, teens, and adults. Plus, he seems like a genuine nice guy.

Tom Hiddleston: went from being giving a supporting character to turning that side character into a beloved villain. Word on set from the original avengers was that he loved being in character and cares deeply about Loki. He was even the Executive Producer of the Loki season two. Character first, powers second. Now that he has retired the character, let him work more behind the scenes.

John Favreau: the guy that started it all. His vision for the Iron Man franchise made Marvel a lot of money. But, he was also the first victim of Marvel Studios doing a lot behind the scenes to change his movie (IM 2) to what they wanted, rather than his vision. He can hire good directors and let then stand back.

Last edited:
Could give a shit about Fantastic 4.

Re do Xmen if youre gonna re do any of them.

I think they need to take a long break. It's why Batman usually works. They hit you hard and heavy with a few movies, audiences eventually get bored, they take a break, and then it's cool again.

The MCU is developed like it's supposed to be some lifetime investment for the audience that never ends. Everything is constantly moving forward and it's all connected. They think it's like comics that you can read in a few minutes. If every comic took people 3 hours to read, they'd die out too. I can understand the strategy, especially when they're making bank, but it seems like they didn't have a plan for if/when people got sick of it. There are graphics from years ago putting out there twenty year plan or whatever, for this universe, and it's like nobody stood up and asked "What if they get sick of it at around this point?", and if they did, they were likely fired for asking such a silly question, because they were all too busy bathing in billions of dollars.

when was the last new original idea put forth?

shit was so old years ago

Back