*Fantasy/Sci Fi Book Discussion Thread* Zer is the Kwisatz Haderach

Red Rising by Pierce Brown

2ztdkq0.jpg

Golden Sun by Pierce Brown

ml409s.jpg

There's some grating first-person narration and the occasional awkward sentence, but all of that's easily forgiven and beside the point. Both books are as good as Zankou advertised, although I'd personally recommend waiting until Morning Star gets released before delving into them. You have been warned.

Finally finished The Stars, Like Dust last night. Decent but not one of my favorties by Asimov. The end made jaded, 21st century tbr roll his eyes, but overall i like the fact that Asimov's earlier stuff is a bit naive by current standards.

Red Rising by Pierce Brown

2ztdkq0.jpg

Golden Sun by Pierce Brown

ml409s.jpg

There's some grating first-person narration and the occasional awkward sentence, but all of that's easily forgiven and beside the point. Both books are as good as Zankou advertised, although I'd personally recommend waiting until Morning Star gets released before delving into them. You have been warned.

Agreed. Half way through Golden Sun - loving these books. And ya, there are some weird, awkard sentences though I have an "unedited" copy apparently.

Too bad that Morning Star is year away. I'll probably just re-read these books a month before.

If you guys haven't read Ready Player One yet, you need to. Awesome, awesome book.

Will check it out. Sounds super nerdy (in a good way).

e.

Meanwhile, while it typically takes me ten days to two weeks to finish a book, I read The Martian in three days. I thought it was so universally good I recommended it to my dad, who doesn't read science fiction. He got it and loved it.

Apparently Ridley Scott is doing a movie version of this with Matt Damon. I'll will, of course, have to read the book first.

Just finished Skin Game from the Dresden Files series. If you like mystery, fantasy, action and comedy they are great reads.

Apparently Ridley Scott is doing a movie version of this with Matt Damon. I'll will, of course, have to read the book first.

Speaking of dem film adaptations I heard The Stars My Destination is getting the treatment

Read the book a little while ago and thought it was okay. Seems like a good foundation for a movie though

Finally finished The Stars, Like Dust last night. Decent but not one of my favorties by Asimov. The end made jaded, 21st century tbr roll his eyes, but overall i like the fact that Asimov's earlier stuff is a bit naive by current standards.

I tried reading that a few months ago but gave up after around 50 pages. Calling the Evil Empire (tm) the "Tyranni"? C'mon Isaac, at least put a little bit of subtly in there.

Then he introduces the young lady who doesn't want to marry her arranged suitor and I was so sure that she would end up with the main character that I just put it down and stopped reading.

lol, it's such an easy read that i kept going. you probably don't need this affirmation, but you missed nothing.

I just started reading "The Quantum Thief", and I feel bad for people who read this that are not hardcore sci-fi lovers. It is fairly out there, and not at all welcoming to the novice.

That said; I like it so far. Not very deep characters, but I don't read sci-fi for the deep analysis into the human mind. I like crazy far-fetched worlds that amaze me, and so far, it delivers.

Finished the Martian, it was excellent though a bit rough in spots. Would like to read more "geek sci fi" of this ilk.

I am re-reading The Watch story arc in Terry Pratchetts Discworld series. (RIP, Sir Terry)

Finished Guards! Guards! and am currently reading Men at Arms.

Guards! Guards! is about the dwindling night watch of Ankh-Morpork, greatest city on the Discworld. (a flat world carried through space on the backs of four giant elephants who in turn stand on the shell of Great A'Tuin, the star turtle) The Watch has been reduced to a mere three members who mostly try to just stay out of trouble. (you dont run fast when you chase criminals, cause they really dont like being caught) But the addition of a new recruit who is a 6'6" dwarf (adopted) and a secret society trying to overthrow the government by means of summoning a dragon, stirs things up and shit really, really hits the fan.

They may be called the Palace Guard, the City Guard, or the Patrol. Whatever the name, their purpose in any work of heroic fantasy is identical: it is, round about Chapter Three (or ten minutes into the film) to rush into the room, attack the hero one at a time, and be slaughtered. No one ever asks them if they wanted to.
This book is dedicated to those fine men.
― Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

If anyone is thinking about starting Discworld, Guards! Guards! is a great starting point. Its not the first Discworld book, but it is, IMO, the book where Pratchett really had nailed down his style of writing and is creating some of his best characters. You dont need to read any of the earlier books to start Guards! Guards!. You can go back to those later on if you enjoy that story arc.

The books of the Watch series:

Guards! Guards!
Men at Arms
Feet of Clay
Jingo
The Fifth Elephant
Night Watch
Thud!

They may be called the Palace Guard, the City Guard, or the Patrol. Whatever the name, their purpose in any work of heroic fantasy is identical: it is, round about Chapter Three (or ten minutes into the film) to rush into the room, attack the hero one at a time, and be slaughtered. No one ever asks them if they wanted to.
This book is dedicated to those fine men.
― Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

I like that. I always figured if I wrote fantasy it'd be about some underling with a peg leg and syphilis rather than the Chosen One

I highly recommend Small Gods by Pratchett. Will read Guards, Guards soon.

Good Omens, his collaboration with Neil Gaiman, was very good, too.

Good Omens, his collaboration with Neil Gaiman, was very good, too.

I fucking love Good Omens. Thats a great introduction to Pratchett as well, even though its not a Discworld book.

I had a huge dry spell with the reading but started Thirteen by K. Morgan to kick off again. So far it reads a lot like his other work but I dig the fuck outta his style so not complaining at all. Building a strong religious angle but nothing too worrying for now

Has anyone read The Dark Defiles? People seemed meh on The Steel Remains at least but TDD is the best rated book in that series on Goodreads and cracked dat 4.00 mark

Anyone read Abercrombie's latest, Half the World? I enjoyed Half a King, and will probably pick World up anyway. Debating whether or not to get the hardback for my physical collection or just get the ebook. I typically go for physical copies...

Back