FAQ Update: Beginner/Intermediate Routines

1. Just to piss you off.
2. You are too insignificant to be worthy of my hatred. My hatred is a very powerful thing, and not wasted on the ignorant. This is like being pissed off by a pile of dog shit that you step in. There is really no point, wipe your foot clean and walk on. Eventually, as nature takes it's course, the pile of shit will dry up and blow away, forgotten on the winds of time.

sorry for the first response. i dont want to be hated, i need this forum more than i probably know lol. im gonna say okay and be quiet. sorry for the rude first response.

but then you went home, got on the computer, and typed a paragraph about how you stepped in dog poo. so it must have bothered you some. i said i was sorry and i got double carded lol, chill please.

No, not really. That only took seconds.

Amazing what you can do while you are waiting for someone to answer the phone. When I am actually waiting for dinner to cook, I find myself with enough time to instigate a border war. Learn to multi-task.

No, not really. That only took seconds.

Amazing what you can do while you are waiting for someone to answer the phone. When I am actually waiting for dinner to cook, I find myself with enough time to instigate a border war. Learn to multi-task.

People should learn from this post.

thank you. i did the skinnies workout today. its definitely a lot different than anything ive ever done, but ill do starting strength. im out of shape right now anyways lol, i have nothing to lose. you guys all seem to know way more than me. thanks.
oh by the way, do i have to buy starting strength?

No, you can google the starting strength wiki. Go to the section "Faq: the programme" and read in full. It will tell you most of what you need to know to do the programme. But it is worth buying SS and also Practical Programming- there is a wealth of information in there that will help you a lot if you plan to train others.

sorry for the first response. i dont want to be hated, i need this forum more than i probably know lol. im gonna say okay and be quiet. sorry for the rude first response.

Haven't I responded to you before?? You are in Baton Rouge, LA, yes??

You want to improve athletically? You live in the same city as Coach Gayle Hatch operating out of Spectrum Fitness. I'll glaze over his career accomplishments... 50+ Junior and Senior Weightlifting titles, half dozen olympic alternates, 3 Olympians, 3 time Olympic team coach, responsible for the education of strength coaches in the southeast too many to count including coach Moffit at LSU. If you really want to improve stop posting on internet forums, make your way over there, pay a small monthly fee, and ask Coach Hatch or one of his assistants/interns if they can help you out.

They have an awesome, friendly, and knowledge group of people there. When I walked in the door for the first time I had no idea what a snatch was and they didn't hesitate to work with my goofy ass and instill a real passion for strength training in me.

I might have just wasted time on a troll... damn me...

I might have just wasted time on a troll... damn me...

Legio!

I have a question. I am going through the FAQ on SS and noticed this example of a week 1 and week 2 program design. Now long story short I am new to liftin heavy shit and wanted your advice... Hopefully its not a stupid question...

this is what Rippetoe shows us:

Week 1

Monday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press
1x5 Deadlift

Wednesday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
3x10 Back Extension
3xFailure(15 max) Chin-ups

Friday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press
5x3 Power Clean

Week 2

Monday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
3x10 Back Extension
3xFailure(15 max) Pull-ups

Wednesday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press
1x5 Deadlift

Friday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
3x10 Back Extension
3xFailure(15 max) Chin-ups

After week 2, what would the next logical week look like? I am really enjoying my time in the gym and I wanted to move to SS next week...

I have to second this. I'm not a fan of Rip but if weight is still going on the bar, keep going down that road until you stall out or change your goals.

I don't have enough experience to know what I like or dislike, but what is it about Rip? I found the information to be quite logical. Maybe a little too beginnerish for those who know the game; am I right?

Also, I saw someone showing cleans at the gym yesterday and they were really throwing their hips. I noticed a post yesterday that indicated this is not correct form and could swing the bar out, rather than up... Should there be any contact with the bar???

I don't have enough experience to know what I like or dislike, but what is it about Rip? I found the information to be quite logical. Maybe a little too beginnerish for those who know the game; am I right?

Also, I saw someone showing cleans at the gym yesterday and they were really throwing their hips. I noticed a post yesterday that indicated this is not correct form and could swing the bar out, rather than up... Should there be any contact with the bar???

The Rip thing is a personal not only professional thing. Outside of disagreements on training methodology I just don't like the guy, so obviously I'm biased. However SS is a perfectly fine beginner's template that has gotten a lot of people to take strength training more seriously. Good things.

Well it'd help to see what the guy was doing. Violent hip extension is a critical part of the clean and snatch but done improperly or with poor timing you're not going to get far. But the short answer is yes, there most definitely should be contact with the bar if you want to clean heavier weights.

If you skip to 1:03 and watch carefully in the slow replay you can actually see the entire bar bend and then whip after making contact on Andrei's pelvis as he snatches just under 400lbs. Later that day he'd destroy the 85kg snatch world record.

Anyone that says the hips should not violently extend against the bar is just wrong and any further input they have should be taken with a whole salt shaker.

- Stronglifts 5x5

Another good routine. The Stronglifts site is a good resource and has a fairly active forum where you can get questions answered and see other people's progress with the program.

StrongLifts 5

The Rip thing is a personal not only professional thing. Outside of disagreements on training methodology I just don't like the guy, so obviously I'm biased. However SS is a perfectly fine beginner's template that has gotten a lot of people to take strength training more seriously. Good things.

Well it'd help to see what the guy was doing. Violent hip extension is a critical part of the clean and snatch but done improperly or with poor timing you're not going to get far. But the short answer is yes, there most definitely should be contact with the bar if you want to clean heavier weights.

If you skip to 1:03 and watch carefully in the slow replay you can actually see the entire bar bend and then whip after making contact on Andrei's pelvis as he snatches just under 400lbs. Later that day he'd destroy the 85kg snatch world record.

Anyone that says the hips should not violently extend against the bar is just wrong and any further input they have should be taken with a whole salt shaker.

Thanks for the vid. I will watch it tonight as I cannot on my clinic computer...

I feel purposeful in the gym now after starting strength training... I was a high jumper in university and haven't really felt like this since then... Kickboxing and MMA are fun and shit but a good day of deadlifts trumps both... And I am not even very strong... YET.

The bolded part is no longer true. You now have to pay a membership fee ($10 per month) to join the forum, which is called the "Inner Circle." Lots of complaints about this, since even the most active forum members were kicked out. Sucks for the people who lost their training logs. Anyway, here's a long thread in the Starting Strength forum discussing it:

What are your opinions on Stronglifts?

It's pretty much a waste of money to join, stay away!!

Thanks for the reminder. I changed the text about SL5x5 to note this. I'm not a fan of how he is running the site like any other cheesy workout fad.

Is it possible to do a starting strength indefinitely? or atleast do that starting strength lifts indefinitely

would be awesome if you did it though. I one time read on a forum and this guy had done SS for a year+ and squatted 400 for 3x5 and still progressed. If you can keep it up for that long, there's no reason to move to a more advanced program

No, well I mean not following the program specifically like progressing slower as in not adding the same amount of weight as often but just kind of like doing it with not always changing weights

No, well I mean not following the program specifically like progressing slower as in not adding the same amount of weight as often but just kind of like doing it with not always changing weights

As in like not following the specific program per Se, but is it possible to do the lifts from starting strength with the same sets and reps and everything but kind of do it indefinitely and Just increase the weight as you feel comfortable

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luciusaugustus
Back