Law FBI, ICE using state driver's license photos without consent for facial recognition searches

waiguoren

Double Yellow Card
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
The FBI and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) have reportedly been using driver’s license photos for facial recognition searches without license holders' knowledge or consent.

The Washington Post reports the two agencies have used millions of Americans’ photos, largely from driver’s licenses, for the purpose of facial recognition searches, citing internal documents and emails from the two agencies that were obtained by Georgetown Law researchers over the past five years and shared with the news outlet.

The photos give the agencies a new layer of information on Americans and a new tool to potentially track both criminals and those who have never committed a crime, according to the Post, which adds that Congress has not authorized any such development of a facial recognition system.

Lawmakers from both sides of the aisle expressed their dismay over reports that the federal agencies were using driver’s license photos.

“Law enforcement’s access of state databases,” particularly DMV databases, is “often done in the shadows with no consent,” House Oversight and Reform Committee Chairman Elijah Cummings (D-Md.) told the Post in a statement.

Last month at a hearing regarding facial recognition technology, Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), the ranking Republican on the House Oversight and Reform Committee, said Americans have not given consent to use their photos for facial recognition searches.

“No individual signed off on that when they renewed their driver’s license, got their driver’s licenses. They didn’t sign any waiver saying, ‘Oh, it’s okay to turn my information, my photo, over to the FBI.’ No elected officials voted for that to happen,” Jordan said, according to the Post.

While it was previously known that the FBI has used federal and local databases for more than 390,000 facial recognition searches since 2011, the Post’s reporting shows the extent of the searches goes much further.

The findings are particularly salient as ICE agents across the country are cracking down on undocumented immigrants under the Trump administration.

"Due to law-enforcement sensitivities, ICE will not comment on investigative techniques, tactics or tools," ICE said in a statement to The Hill. "During the course of an investigation, ICE has the ability to collaborate with external local, federal and international agencies to obtain information that may assist in case completion and subsequent prosecution. This is an established procedure that is consistent with other law enforcement agencies."

The Hill has reached out to the FBI for comment.

Some U.S. cities, most notably San Francisco, have already banned the use of facial recognition technology by law enforcement and public agencies, citing the need to preserve civil rights and its residents' privacy.

https://thehill.com/policy/technolo...cense-photos-without-consent-to-create-facial

=================

Privacy be damned. States rights be damned. Even if Congress had authorized this, it would be unconstitutional as the federal government doesn't have this authority in the first place. Cummings and Jordan deserve credit for speaking out. We need a privacy rights movement in this country.

The FBI and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) have reportedly been using driver’s license photos for facial recognition searches without license holders' knowledge or consent.
True if huge.

The only thing I can think of when I read about this is "no shit". It's the photo on my government issued identification, why should I be shocked that they would use that to identify me?

Your driver's license is enough for the government to fuck with you, but it's not enough to board a plane, at least here in WA.

Fook, mayng.

Yeah, the police are the enemies of freedom. That's not a new concept. They will keep doing it too, since a massive number of people support police no matter what.

The only thing I can think of when I read about this is "no shit". It's the photo on my government issued identification, why should I be shocked that they would use that to identify me?
You shouldn't be shocked, but you shouldn't accept it.

• State governments are supposed to be separate from the federal government.
  • The federal government isn't supposed to be able to do anything unless it's listed in Article I, Section 8.
  • Congress never authorized this facial recognition system.
  • The nation was designed as a loose federation of states, but the federal government has often taken state authority and never gives it back.

Yeah, the police are the enemies of freedom. That's not a new concept. They will keep doing it too, since a massive number of people support police no matter what.

At a systems level, it's much worse when the police power is centralized (FBI, ICE).

Last edited:

At this point, the government itself is becoming the enemy of freedom. And people seem to be a-ok with that, which is both sad and scary.

Stick a fork into the 4th amendment and any so-called right to privacy we ever had.

The Patriot Act and the Obama admin NDAA have cemented in that American citizens ultimately have zero rights if the state deems it so.

You shouldn't be shocked, but you shouldn't accept it.

• State governments are supposed to be separate from the federal government.
  • The federal government isn't supposed to be able to do anything unless it's listed in Article I, Section 8.
  • Congress never authorized this facial recognition system.
  • The nation was designed as a loose federation of states, but the federal government has often taken state authority and never gives it back.

At a systems level, it's much worse when the police power is centralized (FBI, ICE).

Legitimate question: what are your opinions on the federal government withholding funds and services from states that have laws enabling sanctuary cities (or attempting to disallow those states to expend grants on sanctuary cities within their borders)?

And, for the record and as a sort of disclosure on my part, I think states are very antiquated and inefficient bodies of government in modern times. I think the country would be better off if states' functions were split up between federal and county/municipal governments.

This one is kind of in the grey for me. I can see why someone would be upset about it, but we all have given the government these pictures for the privilege to drive a car.

Last edited:
Is that the most forced acronym of all time? You 'Muricans and your acronyms, when will the madness stop?

States only wanted "States rights" to enslave minorities. The compromise was to have a senate and make them 3/5 of a person.. States rights is fucking racist and retarded.

States only wanted "States rights" to enslave minorities. The compromise was to have a senate and make them 3/5 of a person.. States rights is fucking racist and retarded.

Think about the key states' rights events in pre-Civil War history: (1) Madison's authorship of The Federalist No. 45 (2) the ratification of the 10th Amendment (3) the penning of the The Kentucky and Virginia Resolutions (4) the Nullification Crisis of 1832. None of these had anything to do with slavery. Elbridge Gerry from Massachusetts (not a slave state) proposed the 10th Amendment. Madison and Jefferson penned The Kentucky and Virginia Resolutions in opposition to the Alien and Sedition Acts, not in support of slavery. The Nullification Crisis related to tariffs, not slavery.

Our system of government has lasted 232 years---the longest in the world and 114 years longer than that of any other large, independent nation. Why?

The essential feature that separates us from other large nations is devolution of power to the states. Large nations are hard to rule due to heterogeneity among the population. Madison, Hamilton and Jay understood this problem, so they hard-coded federalism/states rights into the Constitution. Excessive centralization of power leads to tyranny (or the perception of tyranny) and then revolution.

This on is kind of in the grey for me. I can see why someone would be upset about it, but we all have given the government these pictures for the privilege to drive a car.

We gave the photos to our respective state governments only, not to the federal government. We also didn't consent to our photos being used in secret facial recognition programs.

Well you have no expectation of privacy in public
So that sides covered
I’m amazed they don’t just use social media where you all give your data away for free

I’m amazed they don’t just use social media where you all give your data away for free

They do.

They use social media to identify and track individuals. Here's an entire criminal justice book about it from six years ago:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/book/9781455731350/social-media-investigation-for-law-enforcement

The use of social media in investigations, both public (police) and private (employer background checks) has grown exponentially since then. Social media is a far more powerful tool than driver license photos.

I understand the constitutional, moral and ethical issues raised in the OP.

But I also have to shake my head when some attention whores whine about privacy. Not referring to Sherbros, of course.

You guys wondering why they are cracking down on legal guns ownership? No nock warrants bs, freedom act, tsa, militaristic police and cctv say hello. Control is always the endgame.

This is an everyday thing for those of us that drive onto base or work on base...

Yall trippin.

This is an everyday thing for those of us that drive onto base or work on base...

Yall trippin.
For citizens it’s not. If you work in sensitive areas like you do it’s part of the job.

Back