Felipe Pena tests positive for testosterone.

The rules have to be enforced. If you look into the drug testing policy, it's pretty weak. That's why guys are willing to take the risk.

The rules have to be enforced. If you look into the drug testing policy, it's pretty weak. That's why guys are willing to take the risk.

I agree. While I'm against cheating, I can see how the temptation could be too great for many competitors. I know they want every possible advantage they can get. With poor testing protocols, it can be too easy to cheat. I wouldn't be surprised if a huge proportion of competitors are taking PEDs, but I feel like that's a problem to be tackled rather than a sign they should get rid of the ban.

I don't really care. Steroids don't magically give you amazing rolling back takes. And if they do, please sign me up immediately!

They do let you put more time in training/repetitions. Bigger, faster, stronger, etc... At the elite level it certainly makes a difference.

A little ashamed of all the "Ho-Hum" attitude here on cheating.

It's an open secret that lots of top guys are on gear. This isn't shocking.

That said, as a spectator, I don't give a shit if guys are juiced to the gills. I just want good matches. As a competitor below the world level, I also don't care.

Cheating's wrong.

It's hard to understand people don't understand that.

My feeling is that the tests are mostly there to serve as a cap, to make people careful not to overdo it. That way people still juice, but it's less over-the-top, and you have to use a bit of restraint.

I used to care a lot when I was younger and didn't train. Once I started training and getting older, I started experiencing the wear and tear. So I don't fault guys for wanting to take things that help them recover faster.

And this is faulty logic on my part, but I also don't blame them for wanting to even the playing field. I mean, if you know that like 80% of your division is juicing, and they're high level black belts, and you know that strength makes a difference at that level...you're faced with a tough choice. Hope that my jiu jitsu really is enough to beat my opponent? Or get juiced up too so that his strength isn't enough to overcome me. These guys work very freaking hard for this. They want that gold. That gold means a lot. I can't find it in my heart to fault them. It's a sad situation. It sucks for clean fighters and I admire clean fighters for it. But I don't blame guys who use PEDs assuming they don't abuse it. I don't support Mark Kerr like abuse.

Athletes don't use PED for the strength gain. They use it to significantly improve their recovery ability, as you mentioned.

Training full-on everyday vs. training full-on only 2-3 times a week for a couple of months... the improvement will be obvious.

So sad, he's one of my favorites BJJ players at the moment. He breaks Panza's leg and Panza's gonna be out for a year, now he's out for a year.

It's an open secret that lots of top guys are on gear. This isn't shocking.

That said, as a spectator, I don't give a shit if guys are juiced to the gills. I just want good matches. As a competitor below the world level, I also don't care.

This is what I feel.

I couldn't give less of a shit about supposed cheating.

Athletes don't use PED for the strength gain. They use it to significantly improve their recovery ability, as you mentioned.

Training full-on everyday vs. training full-on only 2-3 times a week for a couple of months... the improvement will be obvious.

They may not use it specifically for the strength gains but injecting testosterone will dramatically increase your strength and your lean muscle tissue.

On a steroid like testosterone, you are training at a certain level of strength. When you come off your cycle you will notice a huge change. When the next cycle rolls around, I guarantee you the strength gain will be appreciated and sought after.

It's bad for the sport in every way if the top guys are blatantly on gear. And if you think that it somehow stays contained at the top level and doesn't lead to pressuring teenage blue belts to play Wheel-O-Fortune with their endocrine system then you're delusional.

The gentle sport, yet everyone is beat to shit. Maybe this is why wrestlers are done competing at an earlier age. BJJ guys are finding that rolling at today's modern day intensity is tougher than the brochures say. With everyone trying to chase medals and get gym wins, it's no wonder bjj is no longer the gentle art and people are relying on peds to stay on the mat.

Dude is just another loser who tried to cheat the rules to get an advantage on his competition. And if his competition was using, then they would have been caught as well, or they are just smarter in how they are cycling.

And cmon at least come up with the usual excuse that you took some marginally legal supplement that accidentally increased it...not this ridiculous 'hair creme' that pumps straight T into the blood stream....

Anyone who think's being on roids is not a huge advantage clearly knows nothing about them and the huge difference they make on your training.

It's not a huge advantage if more than half of your opponents are also on PEDs. See, they don't test everyone. So we aren't going to know who else used. But its at a point where not juicing is a disadvantage. Juicing is evening the playing field.

Last edited:
All athletes will openly be on PEDS in the next 50 years and it will be openly encouraged.

Its cheating so its bad, but its not really that bad, roids has zero effect on ablity, it allows you to recover faster from your training. Nothing else ( besides anger and maybe a broken pee pee)

Ether way its ridiculous that we still consider it cheating. The only drugs that should be illegal is if it numbs pain.

Where does the idea that everyone is on PEDs come from? I know a few guys that have placed at Worlds at all belts and none of them are Roiding. Some people are just good athletes naturally.

Where does the idea that everyone is on PEDs come from? I know a few guys that have placed at Worlds at all belts and none of them are Roiding. Some people are just good athletes naturally.

You have no way to know this unless you follow them around 24/7 and never let them out of your sight. The testing they do is a joke. Its once a year and everyone knows when it will be. Its an intelligence test, that is all.

The idea that we should be outraged or upset by PEDs because its 'cheating' falls flat when you remember many people don't care much for the reaping the knee rule either, or actually get upset by cheesy victories by advantage/stall.
Rules are rules, but that doesn't dictate how people feel about the actual action or behaviour.
Cheesing an advantage is legal, but it pisses some people off.
Using PEDs is illegal, but some people don't really care or even expect it.
Is normal.

Back