FelonsVotesMatter: Virginia Governor To Announce 13,000 Ex-Cons Have Been Registered To Vote

Hans Gruber

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Anyone have a problem with felons potentially deciding the election?

Virginia's Governor, and long-time Clinton confidant, Terry McAuliffe, to restore voting rights to 200,000 ex-felons (see "FelonsVotesMatter (To Hillary) - Clinton's Election Fate In Virginia Lies With 200,000 Unregistered Offenders"). As we pointed out, 200,000 is over 5% of the 3.8mm people who voted in the Presidential race in 2012 and is larger than Obama's margin of victory over Mitt Romney of 149,298.

Back in July, Virginia's Supreme Court blocked McAuliffe's effort to restore voting rights to 200,000 ex-felons all at one time saying that he would instead have to restore each person's voting right individually. Proving his determination and willingness to devote unlimited taxpayer funds to the effort, the Washington Post is reporting that McAuliffe will announce on Monday that he has restored efforts to the first 13,000 ex felons on a "case-by-case" basis. He is expected to continue the effort until the voting rights for all 200,000 ex-felons have been restored.

According to the Washington Post, Republicans have questioned how thoroughly the list of ex-felons is being vetted noting that the Governor's previous efforts mistakenly restored voting rights to 132 sex offenders still in custody among other criminals that were still incarcerated.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-...ounce-13000-ex-cons-have-been-registered-vote

Ex-felons. Meaning they served their time. What's the point of any of it if they can't regain the basic rights of society.

I think the permanent of denial of rights and certain privileges to ex-cons is one of the few real travesties in our nation. You break a law and you are permanently removed from participating in democracy? Those states should really change their policy so I applaud the governor here.

It's state by state and that makes it worse. In Maine and Vermont you never lose the right to vote...even while incarcerated.

He and his buddy Bloomberg promised they would deliver Virginia to Hillary by any means necessary.

Once someone has paid their debt to society, they should be able to have a vote. I don't see what the problem is.

Once someone has paid their debt to society, they should be able to have a vote. I don't see what the problem is.

So the Virginia Supreme Court (in this instance) should be ignored by the governor?

So the Virginia Supreme Court (in this instance) should be ignored by the governor?

except, that's not what's actually happening...

Virginia's Supreme Court blocked McAuliffe's effort to restore voting rights to 200,000 ex-felons all at one time saying that he would instead have to restore each person's voting right individually.

If he's meeting the criteria put forth by the court, it shouldn't be an issue.

If someone has a problem with it, they can take it back to the courts, but I doubt it would get overturned.

But he's not ignoring them. They said it couldn't be all at once, it had to be done individually. He's doing it individually. That is in compliance with the state Supreme Court.

@KILL KILL beat me to it.

Percentage of Democrats? High 80's?

Ex-felons. Meaning they served their time. What's the point of any of it if they can't regain the basic rights of society.

I think the permanent of denial of rights and certain privileges to ex-cons is one of the few real travesties in our nation. You break a law and you are permanently removed from participating in democracy? Those states should really change their policy so I applaud the governor here.

It's state by state and that makes it worse. In Maine and Vermont you never lose the right to vote...even while incarcerated.
Should they be available for jury duty?

Next up

f31a17d625baf302c119eb4978e15854.jpg

Why not? The lawyers don't have to select them if they think there is going to be an issue.
Seems like a slippery slopen not to mention a waste if time and money.

You want to vote, don't catch a felony. It's not rocket science.

If you want to remove a man's rights forever, you may as well execute him.
Now, I'm not opposed to the death penalty, but these are ex-cons. Why shouldn't they be allowed to vote?

Seems like a slippery slopen not to mention a waste if time and money.

You want to vote, don't catch a felony. It's not rocket science.
I'm not seeing the slippery slope.

Seems like a normal thing to happen. If you want the chance of felons starting living productive lives you need to allow them the chance to do so after they have endured the punishments that the court saw fit to equal the crime.

Seems like a normal thing to happen. If you want the chance of felons starting living productive lives you need to allow them the chance to do so after they have endured the punishments that the court saw fit to equal the crime.
They should Be Allowed To Get chl''s Also Since They're reformed

Back