Fight Metric: Jones vs Reyes

I’m a little confused by why the second was scored so closely tbh. Reyes outstuck Jon by double digits in that round. It wasn’t domination or anything, but should have pretty clearly been Reyes round

Fuck that noise, thats for the birds. I want it to account for every fucking cc of blood lost because he had his nose leaking at the end of the 3rd. Jon does land more but he lands more by landing a fuck ton of leg and body kicks you dunce. its like you've never watched a jones fight?
Reyes was bleeding from his nose after the second... It's like you never watched a fight you dunce.

Im sorry, but just because you land 6 more strikes does not mean you should win an entire round. Espcially considering you miss over 30 shots. WHy do you people think that counts at being "outstruck"

It's not only landing more quantity but dishing more damage. Reyes did significantly more damage than Jon.

Really comes down to how they scored round 2. I think Jones won round 2.

This. This is why efficiency and accuracy is important. You can't miss way more shots for a few more strikes and not expect the judges to count that against you in a close round. Judges don't just sit there counting strikes and award it to whoever lands more, why would we need judges to do that when we have compubox/FightMetric. This robotic style of judging people seem to want just isn't realistic. You missing on way more shots, will always effect how the judges score striking exchanges. You want them to ignore everything in the stand up and just count strikes landed in a close fight like this? Go look at the stats for Holloway vs Poirier 2. Most people consider that a clear loss, and besides 1 TD that fight was all striking. Holloway landed more but was less efficient. How can Holloway out land Dustin and still lose CLEARLY, but people are cool with it. Yet when Reyes out lands Jon, and loses, its a robbery lmaoo

You're picking a fight where you don't need to. I mostly agree with what you're saying. I just think the efficiency bit of it is a red herring. Sometimes a fighter looks better (and gets credit from the judges) for "being more active" and throwing more strikes, even if he misses a lot and the other guy outlands him. And sometimes the more relaxed, more accurate fighter looks better. Depends partly on what the judges are looking for, and partly on other things like poise, who is advancing, ect. It doesn't come down to an efficiency ratio. To say it does is to advocate for the same sort of robotic compubox/fightmetric type of judging that you are arguing against.

And Poirier didn't win that fight by being more efficient. He won it by landing the far more effective, damaging, clean shots.

The guys who do the fight metric, are they accurate though? There only human right, maybe they thought certain punches landed but it didn't.

You're picking a fight where you don't need to. I mostly agree with what you're saying. I just think the efficiency bit of it is a red herring. Sometimes a fighter looks better (and gets credit from the judges) for "being more active" and throwing more strikes, even if he misses a lot and the other guy outlands him. And sometimes the more relaxed, more accurate fighter looks better. Depends partly on what the judges are looking for, and partly on other things like poise, who is advancing, ect. It doesn't come down to an efficiency ratio. To say it does is to advocate for the same sort of robotic compubox/fightmetric type of judging that you are arguing against.

And Poirier didn't win that fight by being more efficient. He won it by landing the far more effective, damaging, clean shots.
Again this thread, is literally about stats. I'm saying the efficiency ratio compared to strikes landed, doesn't show dominance by Reyes. The response is to the TS calling the decision atrocious, and showing the stats to back his point. I'm not saying efficiency is the only thing that matters but when trying to rationalize the decision of a close fight you should for sure take that into account.

Dustin hurt Holloway in that fight, Holloway hurt him as well. Efficiency is just a stat, it reflects what happens in the fight. The reason Dustin was more efficient is because he was sitting down on his punches and landing with more power. So yeah he did win because he was more efficient and was picking his shots. He had more power than Holloway so of course it seems like he did more "damage", however you define that.

Lol stop arguing with Willy. I'm convinced he's trolling

Im sorry, but just because you land 6 more strikes does not mean you should win an entire round. Espcially considering you miss over 30 shots. WHy do you people think that counts at being "outstruck"

“Missing” or having shots blocked does not make the other fighter win lol. Throwing way more offense than your opponent is aggression towards trying to finish the fight. Even if you thought the fight was even in the striking because of that, Reyes put out more offense, controlling the pace of the bout and trying to finish the fight. Reyes also landed all the cleaner and more damaging strikes of the fight. By the rules of MMA there should be no way that Jones won those rounds, at best you could try to make an argument that it should have been a 10-10 round but Jones absolutely did not win any round other than the last two.

I know nothing about PED’s. Is there a benefit to injecting into the abdomen? If not, why not do it in a more inconspicuous area?
The only medical cause for that is injecting so much insulin scar tissue begins to form causing the fatty lump

I don't agree with the "efficiency" bit. If I throw 50 punches and land 25, that's better than you throwing and landing 10 out of 10, assuming that the strikes that land are equal.

But I do agree that I'm not just counting strikes and giving the round to whoever lands the most. It matters how hard and how clean the strikes land. Moving forward, and body language in general, matter too.

Under the scoring system that exists I still give the nod to Reyes, but the decision doesn't bother me because if you throw the scoring system out, I think Jones won that fight. When fights are close (like this one was) and the fighters run out of time to get to a clear cut winner via stoppage (as they did in this one) I have no issue with the fight going to the guy who most looked like he would win if the fight was allowed to continue until its authentic conclusion (which I think happened here).

I would agree with this if jones looked like he was gonna finish him anytime during the fight. all i saw was 2 exhausted fighters, obviously reyes more so, but not to the point that jones could take real advantage of it like finishing him or keeping him down.

Lmaooo classic sherdog quote right here. Throwing efficiency rate into a contact sports shows my lack of understanding of it,when literally every COMBAT sport tracks efficiency by showing the amount of strikes landed, compared to the amount of strikes thrown. You sir are by far the dumbest person I've encountered on here lol hands down. You dont even know what efficiency means I feel like lmao

Dude, you are really inefficient with your stupidity management strategy. So, your efficiency at argumentation is going down to just 83%.
Just go to sleep, dude, squeeze your pimples and go to sleep.

Dude, you are really inefficient with your stupidity management strategy. So, your efficiency at argumentation is going down to just 83%.
Just go to sleep, dude, squeeze your pimples and go to sleep.
Is this your attempt at roasting? Lmaoo this is funny af

Lol @ anyone thinking Jon won round 2 by getting outstruck, rocked, running and trying to panic wrestle

I would agree with this if jones looked like he was gonna finish him anytime during the fight. all i saw was 2 exhausted fighters, obviously reyes more so, but not to the point that jones could take real advantage of it like finishing him or keeping him down.

Yeah. I see that angle, too. I had it for Reyes. But it was close enough that I think it was okay to give it to Jones, and can legit see the argument for Jones.

I do think fighters in close fights need to find a way to win that last round, though, and I tend to be okay with the tilt going toward the guy who does pull out a clear last round victory in a close fight, even though I know full well that's not how fights are scored.

The only thing that was outrageous about the decision was the 49-46 score which, in the end, didn't make a difference.

Yeah. I see that angle, too. I had it for Reyes. But it was close enough that I think it was okay to give it to Jones, and can legit see the argument for Jones.

I do think fighters in close fights need to find a way to win that last round, though, and I tend to be okay with the tilt going toward the guy who does pull out a clear last round victory in a close fight, even though I know full well that's not how fights are scored.

The only thing that was outrageous about the decision was the 49-46 score which, in the end, didn't make a difference.

I saw a lot more damage being done by reyes through out the fight, here is a good fight breakdown. even jones thought he lost the fight by saying my take downs won the fight, while he didn't do anything on the takedowns, then later on saying i was just Bull shtting i need to watch the fight.

Back