Fight Weekend: Pac wins Mosley does nothing Arce wins war Pavlik underwhelms

Another close round although I give it to Holyfield. Same set up as before... Holyfield jabs and looks to counter, Neilsen lunges forwards in spurts.

Ref steps in right at the end of the round as Holyfield flurries on Neilsen. Got some bad blood at the end... Holyfield shoved Neilsen over, Neilsen complained of a headbut and then tried to sucker punch Holyfield on the break and Holyfield may have hit Neilsen on the back of the head as he sunk to the ground on the final flurry as the ref stepped in.

Just saw the end of the McIntosh fight. Basically a shoot out by the end with McIntosh's inability to keep his hands up meaning he's taking a lot of punishment and only giving a little back. Ref steps in due to accumulated punishment rather than a single shot and no-one complains.

Have to say Kalle Sauerland looking very debonair on the Danish card...

And because there's no rest for the wicked the undercard for Pac/Mosley has already started... no chance for me to have a break :)

Right now we've got the 15-0 Pier Olivier Cote having his way with the 15-1 Aris Ambriz. Both of these guys have some handy wins between then but Cote is just a different level of speed... looks like someone to really watch.

Now we get basically an exhibition: the 10-0 Jose Benavidez (with 9 stoppages) vs the 6-7-1 James Hope (stopped 3 times). That said Jose Benavidez struggled a bit in his last bout and had some of the shine taken off him.

Benavidez is looking pretty useful in there. Not spectacular but a good jab and some decent bodywork backed up with some pretty serious power.

Now we have the 27-5-2 Rodel Mayol (who was a world champion about a year ago) vs the 17-3 Javier Gallo. Mayol should win but Gallo has some handy wins and at 29 Mayol is getting pretty old for the lighter weights.

For an untelevised undercard these are some great fights... the entire card is pretty damn good in all honesty.

is the benavidez fight over?

Yeah, ref stepped in during the 5th. One way traffic at that stage. Benavidez looked useful... as I say, great jab, decent bodywork and power and he had to show some grit in his last fight.

Good contender to get a FNF opening bout at this stage.

Sorry but what the hell was he doing there. Sylvester is his fighter.

From what I picked up Neilsen is a big name in Denmark and very well regarded (kinda like Frank Bruno in the UK I guess) and also one of his fighters, even just as a one off. When you have two events on a single night you've got to pick your poison I guess.

From what I picked up Neilsen is a big name in Denmark and very well regarded (kinda like Frank Bruno in the UK I guess) and also one of his fighters, even just as a one off. When you have two events on a single night you've got to pick your poison I guess.

Pretty weird considering that was Neilsen's first fight in NINE years.

Surprisingly we have a Mayol bout that's gone two rounds without a headbut... they're normally his weapon of choice.

I've got Gallo 2-0 up in a fun fight that probably deserves a bigger audience. Not a good weekend to be Filipino so far...

Pretty weird considering that was Neilsen's first fight in NINE years.

I think the closest thing to compare it to is if Don King got Tyson out of retirement for a bout with Holyfield on the same night as Cloud fought say Diaconu for his LHW belt... which card do you think he would be in attendance for?

I think the closest thing to compare it to is if Don King got Tyson out of retirement for a bout with Holyfield on the same night as Cloud fought say Diaconu for his LHW belt... which card do you think he would be in attendance for?

Yeah. You are right. I just can't understand why he would get Nielsen out of retirement to fight Holyfield, when Holyfield is a very active fighter.

Back