Fighter with unexpected good grappling/bjj skills

Robert wrestles with the Australian international team...he can definitely grapple..
That's not his original background. His original background was Karate and Hapkido and then he jumped right into MMA. He only started wrestling with the Australian team deep into his MMA career. On top of that the Australian team isn't even known for their wrestling.

Holloway.

Once his long win streak started, he had great TDD, good GnP, and submissions.

It's ironic because most people identify him as primarily a striker.

I do think Max plays to his strengths because his vision, striking defense, and striking diversity have been a big advantage against everyone except Volk.

Don't confuse exhaustion with poor grappling. Conor is pretty decent. He actually defended well against Khabib. But Khabib is Khabib

His definitely did better than most vs Khabib, despite it still being a domination

bait.gif

56ddec304d37a.gif

giphy.gif
Conor showed at least in my opinion pretty good BJJ skills against Holloway but it seemed to fall off after that where for the Mendes fight he was just holding on to keep Mendes from posturing up(granted Conor had torn his ACL not too long before the fight so that could be a factor).

Leon Edwards - Won the first round of Leon-Usman 2 by tripping Usman and taking full mount, and took down Colby, and almost subbed him too

I think this is a solid answer. Edwards has surprisingly good MMA grappling. A striker foremost, but one who is not afraid to grapple someone if he sees an opening, even if that opening is against a fighter who has the better credentials. I think Volk's grappling is also underrated. Barring Max's earlier losses, Max's MMA wrestling and offensive jitz has come a long way.

Gus in his prime had surprisingly good offensive and defensive wrestling.

The reem?
Great choice. My first ever BJJ coach (8th degree black belt Carlos Machado) was asked a similar question years back. Question being which MMA fighter do you think has underrated grappling and his answer was Overeem. 17 wins via submission in MMA and won the Euro qualifier for the ADCC

Gus and Leon were my immediate first two thoughts. Both faced extremely good wrestlers and showed how capable they are.

Wanderlei was known as a striker/brawler but has never been submitted in 50 fights. Underrated grappler for sure.

Back