Fighters are extremely lucky to get paid what they do

No athlete/singer/actor should make 7 + figures. They don't serve much of a purpose. It's low IQ peoples fault overpaying for everything that surrounds them.

In general athletes get paid way too much to entertain. I realize young people on here probably don't think so, but give it time when you have to basically suck your bosses cock six days a week. Then on your day off you can fork out a bunch of your hard earned dollars taking your fat wife and bratty kids to watch some pampered athlete throw a ball for millions of dollars, so that his entourage can bang hookers and do rippers. I guess the positive thing is that while that pampered athlete will likely blow all that money and be reduced to calling you to try and sell you insurance, you'll have some sort of retirement. Your fat wife will probably be long gone and those bratty kids will never take your calls, but you'll be able to go watch more pampered athletes by yourself, so it won't cost quite as much.

Everyone acts like the fighters are so underpaid. But they're so lucky to be paid what they are.

Look at other major sports.

An NFL player is on at least 16 cards per year and up to like 4 playoff games and a super bowl. All generate higher ratings than the UFC.

An NBA player does way more games than that. A baseball player does like 100 games.

A UFC fighter does like 2 games a year and generates worse ratings than syndicated sitcom reruns. So no fucking shit they don't make as much money.

They're lucky to have PPV right now. If the PPV model keeps going all to TV like it seems to be then even champions will only be generating like 2 shitty TV ratings a year.
A NBA player who makes 3 mil a year divided by 82 games makes $36 585 per game. LESS than what the average UFC fighter makes per match. TS is correct!

Psshh.

Better do boxing then. Oscar got his own promotion, Floyd's got his money label and Pacman's a freaking politician. Meanwhile, MMA athletes work for peanuts. Hell, wu mao's got it better than them.

3LiTKIh.jpg

lol, that's funny BUT I'm sure Macy Barber recently got herself a nice new car and she's what ... 21 years old.

It's all about how you manage your money too and the people you pay around you.

Everyone acts like the fighters are so underpaid. But they're so lucky to be paid what they are.

Look at other major sports.

An NFL player is on at least 16 cards per year and up to like 4 playoff games and a super bowl. All generate higher ratings than the UFC.

An NBA player does way more games than that. A baseball player does like 100 games.

A UFC fighter does like 2 games a year and generates worse ratings than syndicated sitcom reruns. So no fucking shit they don't make as much money.

They're lucky to have PPV right now. If the PPV model keeps going all to TV like it seems to be then even champions will only be generating like 2 shitty TV ratings a year.

Just an astounding level of idiocy right here.

In general athletes get paid way too much to entertain. I realize young people on here probably don't think so, but give it time when you have to basically suck your bosses cock six days a week. Then on your day off you can fork out a bunch of your hard earned dollars taking your fat wife and bratty kids to watch some pampered athlete throw a ball for millions of dollars, so that his entourage can bang hookers and do rippers. I guess the positive thing is that while that pampered athlete will likely blow all that money and be reduced to calling you to try and sell you insurance, you'll have some sort of retirement. Your fat wife will probably be long gone and those bratty kids will never take your calls, but you'll be able to go watch more pampered athletes by yourself, so it won't cost quite as much.

You know that professional athletes have bosses too that have way more money than they do. I never understood why people complain about pro athletes being millionaires when their bosses are billionaires that also receive public funding to build stadiums for teams they own.

You know that professional athletes have bosses too that have way more money than they do. I never understood why people complain about pro athletes being millionaires when their bosses are billionaires that also receive public funding to build stadiums for teams they own.
No shit thanks for the heads up. So go ahead and substitute billionaire boss with pampered athlete in my post, with the exception of blowing all their money and calling to sell you insurance of course. LOL

A tired debate.
  • Some believe entry level fighters making $10k/$10k is fine because a) it's 10x what fighters make in other orgs, and b) it's 10x what they would have made pre-TUF
  • Some believe that on a macro level, fighters should get closer to 50% of gross revenue like other sports, instead of the roughly 20% they make today.
  • There is a huge chasm between the lowest and highest paid fighters. Some think that's appropriate (e.g. Jon Jones deserves millions because "I don't buy PPV's to watch Matt Schnell" (not to pick on Matt; I just picked a random name toward the bottom of this list) and others don't.
There is truth in all 3 of these statements. UFC fighters make more than ever, and far less - percentage-wise - than other major sports leagues, and there is a huge discrepancy between lowest paid fighter and highest paid fighter.

Then of course the debate devolves into how and why UFC is different than other sports leagues. This may also include a segue into who the Ali Act that applies to boxing should not apply to MMA.

Many argue one of these points. Few if anyone debates the issue holistically, because holistic solutions are too complex for forums, and everyone gets bored with the details before arriving anywhere. So instead, they cherry pick one minor point and bicker over it again and again and again.

Did I capture most everything here?!?

Fighting isn't like other sports. While I do think many fighters could stand to fight more often, there's no way you could reasonably expect to see a fighter stepping into the cage 20+ times in a year. Their bodies would be beat to shit very quickly.

Back