Fighters who came from Luta Livre?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I know that Brazilian jujitsu is the number in terms of popularity but Luta Livre is also Brazilian and its grappling for folks with less money. Never the less, is there any UFC fighters who has a background in it before becoming MMA fighters?

UFC specifically Paul Sass. Evangelista Santos also had a background in luta livre but he was never in the UFC.

Babalu would prly be the most famous black belt that competed in the UFC, Ebenezer Fontes Braga was the first guy I thought of but he never competed in the UFC even though he fought plenty of UFC guys..

I might be off here, but wasn't Bustamante one of the
4 Lutra Livre guys who stormed Gracie’s gym and challenged them (challenged declined)? Back when Ruas and Rickson were trying to finalize an official bout?

I know who knows, @gono btw

Edit: no, I am way off here. He did not.

Last edited:
Follow up question. Do any of you know of any Luta instructional dvds? I know you can’t learn to fight from a DVD but I would be very interested in finding one so I can see the principles of this particular art explained and see the difference in technique position or angle of attack.

Before MMA I dunno but aren't Gane and Till trained in luta livre?
Gane I think so. And Ngannou as well.
Till, not sure, because Aspinall is definitely from BJJ and they are in the same gym.

Gane I think so. And Ngannou as well.
Till, not sure, because Aspinall is definitely from BJJ and they are in the same gym.
Aspinall trained Jiu Jitsu under his father from a young age.
Till was at Kaobon when Brigadiere was head coach so you had best believe The Gorilla trained LL, along with Etim, Sass, Paul Kelly, Mark Scanlon and the rest of the original Kaobon line up.

Also not in the UFC, but Mansour Barnaoui is probably the best Luta Livre grappler.
He gave Islam Makhachev his toughest fight and only lost a close decision.

Babalu would prly be the most famous black belt that competed in the UFC, Ebenezer Fontes Braga was the first guy I thought of but he never competed in the UFC even though he fought plenty of UFC guys..
Always assumed Babalu was from bjj background, interesting stuff

Always assumed Babalu was from bjj background, interesting stuff

Honestly I thought this as well. I never fathomed him as anything but BJJ fighter. He was never a stand up fighter.

Also not in the UFC, but Mansour Barnaoui is probably the best Luta Livre grappler.
He gave Islam Makhachev his toughest fight and only lost a close decision.

Well, second toughest fight anyways...

YKGxA1.gif

Before MMA I dunno but aren't Gane and Till trained in luta livre?

Gane is. Luta livre is popular in France. Not as widespread as bjj of course but it has some solid gyms

I know that Brazilian jujitsu is the number in terms of popularity but Luta Livre is also Brazilian and its grappling for folks with less money. Never the less, is there any UFC fighters who has a background in it before becoming MMA fighters?
images

images

images

images

Anderson is a D1 Wrestler in the style of the natives.

Back