Fighters who fell the farthest in one fight

Sometimes having reading comprehension or caring about the intended topic you are replying to could be helpful, that's all. Just give it a shot.

Quick I’m sure there’s some coworkers you can tattle on for taking 5 extra minutes on their lunch break!!! Ever notice how you’re literally the only one it offended Karen?

Bigfoot Silva after Mark Hunt. Not really a loss but Silva was never the same after that night. He was getting KO’d by jabs afterwards.

Gilbert Melendez after the Pettis fight.

Hector Lombard after getting KO’d by Hendo.

Quick I’m sure there’s some coworkers you can tattle on for taking 5 extra minutes on their lunch break!!! Ever notice how you’re literally the only one it offended Karen?
Offended? You have the wrong person.
Im trying to fix stupid. But its hard to do when stupid is content.

Rory by a landslide.

It's important to remember WHO Rory was at the time. He had all the skills, the athleticism, the reach, and the nasty mean-streak that makes a champion. A lot of people saw Rory's ascendancy to UFC 'champion' as a foregone conclusion. At the time, he represented a new kind of technical fighter, not just some psychotic tough-guy.

Then he ran headfirst into Robbie Lawler who, for some reason, showed up to that fight looking to scalp his opponent to a degree that was excessive (even for Lawler).

Rory took AT LEAST 5 fights' worth of damage in that scrap. It was one of the scariest things I'd ever seen in combat sports because we all knew that he was taking compounded damage. It's one thing to break your nose in a fight. It's another thing entirely to add 10 layers of physical trauma on top of that broken nose, not including the severe damage his body took.

We joke about fights 'shaving years' off a fighter's life. In the case of Rory/Lawler, it was undeniably true. He wasn't knocked out. His body just GAVE OUT.
Everyone loves that fight and it's in the hall of fame, but that's one time I wish his corner would've thrown in the towel in hindsight. Rory was a great talent and still young.

Everyone loves that fight and it's in the hall of fame, but that's one time I wish his corner would've thrown in the towel in hindsight. Rory was a great talent and still young.

I dunno man they were still havin a competitive fight from how I recall,and then his nose get shattered and he just falls

I dunno man they were still havin a competitive fight from how I recall,and then his nose get shattered and he just falls
I just wish that version of Rory would've stuck around longer. But I just thought of something. In Bellator he moved up to fight Gegard Mousasi for the MW strap and got mauled there, too. Maybe it wasn't all Robbie(?)

I just wish that version of Rory would've stuck around longer. But I just thought of something. In Bellator he moved up to fight Gegard Mousasi for the MW strap and got mauled there, too. Maybe it wasn't all Robbie(?)
Oh he definitley was never the same after that beating,but if they had pulled him out before the 5th (there was no reason to) the damage was already done by then. Just one of those hard fights that take something from you.

David Loiseau after his fight against Rich Franklin.

Renan Barao after TJ Dillashaw beat the piss out of him in two straight fights.

Dominic Reyes's career went down the drain after his "loss" to Jon Jones.
Much love for The Crow

Fedor after the Werdum loss
Ken Shamrock after the war with Don Frye
Mark Kerr after the Fujita or Vovchanchyn loss
Phil Baroni after the 2nd Evan Tanner loss
Frankie Edgar after the Ortega KO or the Holloway loss
King Mo after the Bader loss

A lot of fighters have hat expiration date and when it's hit, that jaw's cracked, they're a step slower or whatever, it' seems to go all down hill from there.
Of course then there are fighters like Jeremy Horn, Randy Couture, maybe Hendo, that don't have an appreciable drop off in their careers and have had long careers.
I wish ken had retired after the war with don. He went on to be made a joke just because his knees were gone, chin gone, and refused to learn BJJ.

GSP was the beginning of the end for a lot of guys.

So you don’t agree with the following being turning points in fighters careers?

Chuck/Evans
Wanderlei/Cro Cop
Silva/Weidman
Rockhold/Bisping

Are you doubting a late career knockout will prevent you from ever being the same? You don’t think years of prior punishment in conjunction with exiting your athletic prime could inhibit your recovery? Also Overeem has not fought MMA since that KO, he won a kickboxing decision against an equally old and battle worn Badr Hari that was overturned because Overeem was pumped up on steroids.

Also not sure what you mean by Weidman not being late career against Rockhold. He was 29 but might as well have been 39 with the dozens of surgeries he had. He was 13-0 before it, and 2-6 after it with 5 KO losses. Just because he kept fighting doesn’t make it not late career. He already had 13 of the 15 wins he would ever have, for all intents and purposes his prime was over.

When your ticket is punched there’s no coming back from that. This really isn’t much of a debate for anyone who has seen legends come and go.

I never said no fighter can fall due to a late career KO; I just disputed that any late career KO eo ipso signals a fall.

Now, I did agree with you that losing the title launched Weidman's downfall, but you want to define "late career" in terms that makes your claim trivially, analytically true. Sure, if a fighter's late career coincides with his downfall, then any "late career" KO can be linked to a decline in that fighter's fortunes. But if we define "late career" independently of whether the fighter is flourishing or declining, then the title loss didn't come that late in Weidman's career. "Late" is a chronological concept. A losing streak can, and often does, come late in a fighter's career, but a winning streak can as well, even if it's unusual (e.g., Mike Pyle).

Darren till takes the cake. After the masvidal fight, did he ever win again?
He won vs Gastelum but imo it was more a fight vs his fears and insecurities which he lost.

He dude fought scared and clinched like he was about to die of he didn't.

Sandhagen killed Moraes after Cejudo hurt him.

After the Cejudo fight Moraes had a huge drop in adrenaline while fighting Aldo because he was scared of gassing.

Vs Font, Moraes was scared of striking to the point where him, a guy with poor cardio, was panic wrestling and ended up being koed by a jab

Miguel Torres after he got KO'd by Brian Bowles.
Yeah, someone else mentioned this fight and I absolutely agree, but what happened to Bowles after that?? If memory serves, he got popped for PEDs and wasn't all that afterwards - man, I remember Mir used to just go off while announcing for Torres (seemed like he was a fan).

Silva was old it made sense....

Ronda Rousey had a shit coach it made sense .

Rory still had a good career but he was never the same.

T Ferg was old it made sense...

I'll go with TJ Grant dude loar everything before making it.

Or Gray Maynard Frankie cracked him and he was never good again.

Easy answer. Dillashaw/Cejudo

Dude went to get a 2nd belt,and lost EVERYTHING

Karma for what he did to Barao

EfEsDA7.gif

Back