Fighters you thought were really good at one point, but then realized they were never that good?

Diego Sanchez

For some reason I thought he was a beast when his career started out.

Reasonably long career and I dont know if time caught up with him, or he just wasnt really any good from the start.

So what tends to happen is someone comes along who clearly hits like a truck, knocks out (or at least knocks the tar out of) a few guys at entry level in the UFC, then the assumption is that they must be skilled enough to land power shots on people who never eat power shots somehow. If they're also physically powerful and have shown improvement, they're a nightmare opponent.

Then Seung Woo Choi loses 3 in a row, despite being heavily favoured against Alex Caceres and Josh Culibao.

There have been a ton of guys that have put the blinkers on MMA fans like this.

Su Mudaerji, as well, being a big favourite against Matt Schnell (!!) - it's not based on the guys they beat, it's based on an assumed trajectory that always seems to ignore levels and skill set in favour of power-hitters with exciting styles.

Adrian Yanez is actually good, but had no business being a -175 favourite against Rob Font, but again, 'hits hard'.
Melvin Guillard fit this. He ko anyone he could touch. Problem was, some people are really hard to touch.

Diego Sanchez

For some reason I thought he was a beast when his career started out.

Reasonably long career and I dont know if time caught up with him, or he just wasnt really any good from the start.
There was a moment there when he laid out Joe Riggs that I had him completely overrated in my mind too

Did you even see the fight? He was destroying Hamill before the illegal elbow ended it. Hamill didn't beat Jones, Jones beat Jones.

Nothing goes over your head, your reflexes are too strong!!!!

For me, Johnathan Brookins.part of it was me being dumb enough to listen to the hype around the Armenians on the show and their “world-class-judo, part of it was just me wanting to see the chill, hippy dude kick ass.
I wasn’t expecting a championship run or anything like that, but a respectable UFC career would have been cool.

Melvin Guillard fit this. He ko anyone he could touch. Problem was, some people are really hard to touch.
And if he taken to the ground, fight over
I remember that grudge match against Gabe

also he has the cardio of a bowling league champion

Fedor and Cro Cop. Two of my favourite fighters growing up. They are mediocre by modern standards. How do you lose to Matt Mitrione and Brendan Schaub.
Mitrione was one ko away from the all time he record when he got cut
He was fast, southpaw, great footwork

Just in recent memory...

Everyone got fooled by Shahbazyan

I got schooled by Baeza. Lost $80 on him when he fought Fialho. Should've seen it coming when ancient Matt Brown almost knocked him out. I chalked up the Khaos loss to him just getting clipped by one of the most powerful guys in the sport P4P.

Yan's very good, but I thought he had an argument as top 3 P4P after the Sandhagen fight.

I'm going back quite some time but first name that came to mind was Brandon Vera
dude has really good wrestling and striking and moves really fast as a HW
i remember him as the next big star
dropped at LHW then gets elbowed by johny

Possibly Tony Ferguson. I loved him coming up 11 wins in a row but looking back did he just have an incredibly iron chin that once it git cracked his skills didn't match or was he actually good and father time got him?

Back