Fighting Games Discussion

Have realised that the reason I wasn't that into MMA in the late 00s/early 10s was that I wanted pure style vs style like I saw in Virtua FIghter 4

I didn't realise at the time that that ship had sailed by like 2000, and the MMA of say 2011 was the real martial art produced by years of style vs style

Which is a shame, as all the visually neat kung fu styles in VF4-5 kind of got swept away by MMA. Except possibly Baijiquan, which people seem to be trying to make work for MMA (based on Fight Commentary Breakdowns youtube)

If you haven't watched 3rd Strike EVO Japan...

I'd guess that does underline that Yun not Chun is top of the heap in modern 3rd Strike, 4 of the last 6 Yuns including both finalists. I'd guess part of it is the kind of enviroment? I think Chun maybe more suited to Coop Cup games were its one and done, more health, simpler gameplan were as Yun can potentially be a bit of a glass canon.

Perhaps a case now that actually Ryu > Ken now as well with very little of the latter higher up? I do think Denjin only having one bar gets a bit overhyped as a disadvantage as its a super which can beused so frequently with the fireball trap not much meter actually goes to waste.

I do have to say I prefer Yun dominance to Chun dominance, makes for very high tempo games with a lot of hard reads and Genei Jin makes for more variety in use and gives a lot of structure to the matches with people having to attack/defend in turn.

Last edited:
Not really a fan of the animalist Akuma looks personally and this does look rather MK in style but I spose he does have the classic alternate, I think some kind of mysterious hooded look would have fitted SF6 better.

I notice a good deal of downward power punch stuff which I spose makes sense as this is post SF3 so he would have KKZ like moves.

MenaRD is the fighting game GOAT.

Either that or they need to nerf Blanka in SF6.

First two people I played in sf6 today were blatantly cheating. Just warming up with casual matches and a kid whos "plat 2" blew up every frame up and mix up I had for 4 games. First game I thought maybe a smurf, but then I realized no command grab or frame trap worked. After 2 games I just walked this geek into a corner and he perfect parried my safe jump mix ups. The only way to win was by counter pokes. Second game was against a master Ryu, same thing with the frame traps, but he had a macro instead of anti airing to go air to air. The perfect parries are kinda funny.

Back