Filling a muay thai heavy bag

The_Darkness

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just got a Fairtex muay thai heavy bag and was wondering if anyone can offer some suggestions on how to fill it. I was hoping someone would know a good website or other source that would give good instructions. I thought the bag would of came with instructions, but it didn't.

Q. Should I get an unfilled bag and if I do, what do I fill it with?
A. An unfilled bag is a good alternative, especially for international customers, who do not want to pay the high cost of shipping a prefilled bag. The bag is filled with bits of rag or other soft material and small bags of sand for added weight. Prefilled bags are hydraulically stuffed, so you will not be able to achieve this if you fill the bag by hand. However, we have not had an unfilled bag returned. We recommend talking to your local fabric shop to see if they have anything you can use for filler.

From: http://www.balazsboxing.com/cgi-bin/catalog2.cgi?action=page&page=help|product FAQs

I have heard that shredded clothing, carpet, sand and rubber shavings all work or you can combine them.

Q. Should I get an unfilled bag and if I do, what do I fill it with?
A. An unfilled bag is a good alternative, especially for international customers, who do not want to pay the high cost of shipping a prefilled bag. The bag is filled with bits of rag or other soft material and small bags of sand for added weight. Prefilled bags are hydraulically stuffed, so you will not be able to achieve this if you fill the bag by hand. However, we have not had an unfilled bag returned. We recommend talking to your local fabric shop to see if they have anything you can use for filler.

From: http://www.balazsboxing.com/cgi-bin/catalog2.cgi?action=page&page=help|product FAQs

+1.

My understanding is that fabric shops tend to sell scraps in large bags for cheap. I bought my bag filled, but if I had gone unfilled that would have been the first thing I tried.

Also, just my humble opinion but I would avoid sand. It tends to settle at the bottom, and even when it's not settled it creates hard spots in the bag that are annoying.

I filled mine from rags made of cut up t-shirts....luckily there were free since I plundered from from a jobsite I was working on.

if you don't like kicking concrete (from hitting a shifted sand bag) you can go with flour (for added weight to your bag) no more hard spots, just make sure you have the flour sealed up good inside your bag.

as for the ratio when i was doing sand for weighting down a thai bag, it was like 75lbs cloth to 75lbs sand, sounds like alot of sand but it's not compared to how much cloth that is sitting on your floor.

also if you go the route of using sand place the sand bags in areas that you won't end up striking, ei the bottom of the that bag and the top of the bag, because once that sand shifts anywhere else and your in the middle of a workout your going to be pissed

also if you go the route of using sand place the sand bags in areas that you won't end up striking, ei the bottom of the that bag and the top of the bag, because once that sand shifts anywhere else and your in the middle of a workout your going to be pissed

That's what I tried (sand bags on top) and it totally didn't work. Didn't take very long for them to start shifting to the center of the bag again.

Thanks for the flour tip though, I kinda wanna try that.

That's what I tried (sand bags on top) and it totally didn't work. Didn't take very long for them to start shifting to the center of the bag again.

Thanks for the flour tip though, I kinda wanna try that.

was it small sand bags or one big one, i haven't seen a large one shift it's way to the middle of the bag. how tight do you pack the cloth? to me this is the most time consuming process but with a long broom stick you can pack a bag pretty good if your patient.

I filled mine from rags made of cut up t-shirts....luckily there were free since I plundered from from a jobsite I was working on.

Did you ever end up using a pipe in the center and the foam along the inside of the bag? I can't remember if you ever commented on how those plans worked.

We filled our SSF Thai bags with Corn from the local Farmers Co-op and it's working great. The SSF Thai bags are a little bigger in diameter then a standard Thai bag and it comes in at 350lbs.

www.SSFgear.com

Did you ever end up using a pipe in the center and the foam along the inside of the bag? I can't remember if you ever commented on how those plans worked.

I did use the foam (which works great) but abandoned the pipe plans. I considered it because 100lbs worth of fabric is a hell of a lot of stuff and I wasn't sure I'd be able to get enough so the pipe idea was a backup plan if I couldn't get enough fabric.

The t-shirt rags worked out great though....I was in charge of the labor crews so I ordered 2 boxes of the rags (which conveniently came in 50lb quantities) for them to use in the jobsite cleanup. After they used them and they were dirty and such I told them to put them in garbage bag and that i'd take them. Got all 100lbs worth and went to the laudromat....got like $5 in quarters and washed them all.

Shoved all 100lbs in the bag(after lots of TV watching spent cuttin' them up)....I suppose if I were a real heavy hitter I could take out some of the rags and try the pipe idea to make it like 150lbs or something but I just don't punch hard enough to need more then a 100lbs of weight.

Been using it for about 5 months now....works great. Starting to shift and settle some so I might need to get like 10 or so lbs worth of fabric (which should be no problem) so it'll be full again but other then that no complaints.

We filled our SSF Thai bags with Corn from the local Farmers Co-op and it's working great. The SSF Thai bags are a little bigger in diameter then a standard Thai bag and it comes in at 350lbs.

www.SSFgear.com

By corn do you mean corn feed? And if so whole or chopped?

Can't wait till you have it on your site, that and the blue rashguard......

also to cut rags you can pick up a cutting board and a pizza cutting looking fabic slicer, makes the job go that much faster.

I fill all of mine this way:

I get used carpet padding from a local carpet store for free. Make sure what you get is not loaded with odor. Line the entire bag with the carpet padding. Then get about 20-30lbs of sand. Wrap it in 4-5 trash bags in the sahpe of a ball. Roll it to the bottom of the bag and begin to fill it with shredded clothing and rags. Continuously pack the bag with a 2x4. Cut up pieces of carpet padding works great also.
After a while (a few months) it will settle more and will probably need some more stuffing.

also to cut rags you can pick up a cutting board and a pizza cutting looking fabic slicer, makes the job go that much faster.

Yeah I wish i woulda got one of those fabric slicer deals. My right hand was stuck in claw form for a couple days from cutting up t-shirts with scissors for one long saturday.

By corn do you mean corn feed? And if so whole or chopped?

Can't wait till you have it on your site, that and the blue rashguard......

Whole kernel of corn (not the ears). You can get 50lbs bags for $5 at the co-op.

Whole kernel of corn (not the ears). You can get 50lbs bags for $5 at the co-op.

Whole it is then, all my family ever buys is chopped so I'll just buy some extra next time I go to the feed store.

Interesting idea...

How much corn would it take to fill a standard 6' Muay Thai heavy bag?

In other words, how heavy would the bag be if filled entirely with corn?

Back