Film critics in 2024: I can't even

My first cousin was arguably the most famous film critic in history.

In the good old days, people had to get hired by a publication which had proper overheads and so cared about who they hired. This was bad because it meant the media was controlled by the voices of a few. But, it did have the benefit of gatekeeping every guy with a blog from delusions of grandeur of being a film critic.
Lots of careers like journalist, film critic etc. are now mostly populated by people who are basically shit posters like the rest of us. This is made worse by the need for clicks driven ad revenue means you're incentivised to shock, outrage and annoy rather than inform.

Dude's doing his thing getting page views.

a beautiful mind definitely stands the test of time, it's one of my favorite movies and even today the storyline is captivating, and the acting is superb. It doesn't rely on special effects, just great story, development and acting.

I won't even.

If they're hiring scores under-qualified people to actually make movies, the people being hired to review them, have the lowest bar possible.

"Monster's Inc" does kind of suck, though.

Well, you'd be wrong. He's counted on RottenTomatoes and Metacritic when writing reviews for this publication.
That's a reflection of Metacritic and RottenTomatoes having low standards more than anything else. Most of the verification for that process is tied to website traffic, not the author itself. Not sure anything thinks of this dude as some respected critic or something.
He's counted as a film critic by the most influential corporate outfits distributing & tallying film criticism that are by that virtue the gatekeepers to the term as it could most practically be attributed, professionally speaking. He had 9 film reviews counted on RT in 2023 alone, and hundreds counted historically on their site.
Speaking as someone who's had to do the legwork on getting more than one reviewer's work listed on those websites, I don't think anyone thinks of them as some gatekeepers of quality film criticism. Most people aren't even interested in film criticism, hence Rotten Tomatoes and the like have such low standards for verifying reviewers.

didnt read because why the fuck would i read a journos article lol
but i agree that monster inc is fucking trash so i guess hes right in some way

That's a reflection of Metacritic and RottenTomatoes having low standards more than anything else. Most of the verification for that process is tied to website traffic, not the author itself. Not sure anything thinks of this dude as some respected critic or something.

Speaking as someone who's had to do the legwork on getting more than one reviewer's work listed on those websites, I don't think anyone thinks of them as some gatekeepers of quality film criticism. Most people aren't even interested in film criticism, hence Rotten Tomatoes and the like have such low standards for verifying reviewers.
The title of the thread scorns "film critics". This man is a recognized, professional film critic. Film critics are by definition "content creators". Semantic splicing is irrelevant. RT and MC are the most consumed/trafficked outlets of film criticism today, and the most cited in film marketing. They are what Siskel and Ebert's nationally syndicated television show was a quarter century ago. So the fact they have such low standards doesn't just speak ill of them. It speaks to the miserable state of film criticism as it exists in 2024.

He's a film critic, and he's reflective of film criticism. Any opinion to the contrary is demonstrably wrong.

Look, can you get with the program and be mad about this film critic having bad opinions? You're really dragging this thread down.

I doubled my rage to compensate. Honestly, I am willing to crap my pants in anger if that what it takes to express my dissatisfaction with a clickbait film article that I happen to disagree with.

I doubled my rage to compensate. Honestly, I am willing to crap my pants in anger if that what it takes to express my dissatisfaction with a clickbait film article that I happen to disagree with.
Brother if your pants aren't overflowing with dookie, we don't have anything to talk about

Oh, it's bad. I promise you, it's bad. Come and see.

This is the only film critic in 2024 I care about -

OIP.NcCiYl04lIK2kfT6x1iPSAAAAA

This man is a recognized, professional film critic.
He's as much of a professional film critic as CM Punk is a professional fighter. There are critics, and then there are critics. As with professions that do not have formal licenses, not all of those in the field are of equal import. Nor should they.
They are what Siskel and Ebert's nationally syndicated television show was a quarter century ago
They are not. Again, actual film criticism, isn't that useful to most moviegoers. You're conflating film reviews with film criticism. Not to mention the rather large gulf in expertise between Siskel or Ebert and some random Joe Schmo. Getting an RT badge isn't some huge accomplishment or mark of expertise.
He's a film critic, and he's reflective of film criticism. Any opinion to the contrary is demonstrably wrong.
There are many criticisms that one can lob at film criticism. Getting your pants in a bunch about clear click-bait from a nobody is not one of those valid criticisms. Congrats, you fell for his bait.

He's as much of a professional film critic as CM Punk is a professional fighter. There are critics, and then there are critics. As with professions that do not have formal licenses, not all of those in the field are of equal import. Nor should they.

They are not. Again, actual film criticism, isn't that useful to most moviegoers. You're conflating film reviews with film criticism. Not to mention the rather large gulf in expertise between Siskel or Ebert and some random Joe Schmo. Getting an RT badge isn't some huge accomplishment or mark of expertise.

There are many criticisms that one can lob at film criticism. Getting your pants in a bunch about clear click-bait from a nobody is not one of those valid criticisms. Congrats, you fell for his bait.
I am not. If you don't understand that film reviews are film criticism, you need to stop talking. I have a degree in cinema studies from one of the big three-- the most prestigious film schools in the USA, btw.

In the good old days, people had to get hired by a publication which had proper overheads and so cared about who they hired. This was bad because it meant the media was controlled by the voices of a few. But, it did have the benefit of gatekeeping every guy with a blog from delusions of grandeur of being a film critic.
Lots of careers like journalist, film critic etc. are now mostly populated by people who are basically shit posters like the rest of us. This is made worse by the need for clicks driven ad revenue means you're incentivised to shock, outrage and annoy rather than inform.
I kind of think theres a difference between click bait stuff like this list and modern criticism though which I'd argue tends to be safer and more herd like.

Back to the day I think critics did tend to have more personal power, the opinions of a lot of big names did carry signifnicant weight and I think the places they were employed tended to be less open to studio influence. These days a lot of net critics work at websites which heavily depend on advertising and/or they depend on having access, similar to MMA journalism I think that tends to create criticism which is much easier to control.

Back