First Session 4 days ago, still sore as hell.

Emrod

White Belt
Reaction score
I had my first kickboxing class monday, and man, they worked the living hell out of me. I did push ups and crunches to a point i didnt know was possible. Ive been walking around like i shit my pants for the past week now. I would of thought by now the soreness would be gone, but its still here. I just tried doing a push up and almost cried, and i cant even sit up from laying down with out pushing myself up.

I have class again monday, and will start going 3-4 times a week. If im still like this there is no way in hell im gonna keep up. So, what are some ways I can recover my muscle strength, and ways to prevent being so sore again?

start off slowly maybe 3 days and then 4 after a couple of weeks
eat well and get lots of sleep

soon you'll work just as hard or harder than you have been and won't get sore or maybe just a little

you will stop getting sore after the first week or will get a little sore but not as bad as now if you change up your training program drastically
just keep training

note:
if you stop training for 2-3 weeks straight you'll be sore that first week back, that's just the way it is so it might be good to take things slowly when you come back and then increase the intensity as you go on

Sounds like you have not great work capacity and jumped into doing too much on the first day.

Sounds like you have not great work capacity and jumped into doing too much on the first day.

he might have thought it was the first episode of TUF, the evaluation workout to show your tuffness
12528819051791.gif

Eat a decent amount of food and sleep as much as possible. If you're already doing that, then just keep going to class and do what you can. Some walks or something to get the blood moving would probably help too.

-FOAM ROLLING
-Beta Alanine+Creatine before going to sleep or post workout
-You will slowly increase your work capacity
-It takes time to get in good shape so be patient
-Start out only couple days a week and then increase to 3 and then 4 days...

Try to keep active on non training days. Go hiking. Do some light jogging. Play frisbee with your friends or something. Keep the blood moving through your muscles. The soreness gets worse if you just sit around all day.

"Exercise physiologists and athletic trainers have not yet discovered a panacea for DOMS," says Draper, "however, several remedies such as ice, rest, anti-inflammatory medication, massage, heat, and stretch have been reported as helpful in the process of recovery."

Sore Muscles? Don't Stop Exercising

Train regularly and your body will get used to the workload, this will only happen for a few sessions until you become acustomed to the training. Eat right, get plenty of sleep and do some light active recovery.

Some good advice in here but there's no magic bullet, your first few sessions of anything are going to hurt. It'll get easier if you stick with it.

just glanced through, saw a lot of good advice, but didn't see anyone saying drink a lot of water, definately do, it does wonders for recovery

Back