First time Jiu Jitsu questions

Sirensong93

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
So I'm looking into Jiu Jitsu as a method of channeling negative energy and enforcing mental discipline as well as physical fitness. I'm looking for advice on what to expect training wise and price wise, I.E what level of fitness should I be in prior to taking instruction, what techniques will be drilled, ETC.

I am a soft five six, 135, and I used to run track and cross country in high school. I consider myself to be moderately in shape now but with a few weeks of cardio I could be in much better shape. 21 years of age, btw. But yeah, advice?

Just go, don't worry about fitness levels. Either you'll be fine, or you won't, but if you're not, just doing jiu jitsu will get you in the shape you need to be in for jiu jitsu.

I'm fairly confident my fitness is up to par. My main concerns were training techniques and pricing as well as possible cross training opportunities

I'm fairly confident my fitness is up to par. My main concerns were training techniques and pricing as well as possible cross training opportunities

Shop around.

go for a free class and see if you like the gym.

BJJ can be expensive.
Choose a gym that you can afford.

Beware of long term contract.
if a gym tries to force you into only a long term, I would be concern about their retention of members and therefore their quality.

ask the intructor about their training program and curriculum.
If they do not have any, I would be concerned.

have a look to see if there are people of similar size you can with.
If they only have big guys, I would be concerned.

I usually advise people to choose the closest gym as well.
Travelling long distance is all good fun but it gets old after a while.

Those are all going to be dependent on the particular gym. If you give your area people might have recommendations.

There's an ATT gym nearby as well as a Gracie affiliated school and a Renato Tavares school, prob should have included that

I've trained under a RT black belt and it was quality instruction. The guys also do well at local tourneys. So from my biased perspective. Try there.

honestly your fitness level doesnt matter. i asked a similar question like two weeks ago coming off of a year plus break. i was just looking for a magic answer that would make it easier when really in the back of my head i knew what to expect. it sucks at first because its a different type of cardio. or maybe it doesnt? maybe your body is better geared for it. i know it doesnt matter if youre fat or skinny because three big fellas that out weigh me by atleast 80lbs were going ham tonight and they just started. meanwhile im 160 lbs and 6 feet tall and im still gassing. especially going up against those heavies. but every class ive noticed its getting easier. i went from throwing up twice my first night back after three five minute rounds, to doing 6 rounds tonight in 90 degree heat. like the corney nike line, "just do it" dewd. its life changing.

i start my first bjj trial class tomm night... cant wait!

honestly your fitness level doesnt matter. i asked a similar question like two weeks ago coming off of a year plus break. i was just looking for a magic answer that would make it easier when really in the back of my head i knew what to expect. it sucks at first because its a different type of cardio. or maybe it doesnt? maybe your body is better geared for it. i know it doesnt matter if youre fat or skinny because three big fellas that out weigh me by atleast 80lbs were going ham tonight and they just started. meanwhile im 160 lbs and 6 feet tall and im still gassing. especially going up against those heavies. but every class ive noticed its getting easier. i went from throwing up twice my first night back after three five minute rounds, to doing 6 rounds tonight in 90 degree heat. like the corney nike line, "just do it" dewd. its life changing.

I think this is the right answer. Find somewhere close to home that's affordable and just train.

You can visit a school for one day, but it's hard to get a good feeling for the school personality and dynamic in such a short time. Just be weary of anything longer than a year contract.

Shop around.

go for a free class and see if you like the gym.

BJJ can be expensive.
Choose a gym that you can afford.

Beware of long term contract.
if a gym tries to force you into only a long term, I would be concern about their retention of members and therefore their quality.

ask the intructor about their training program and curriculum.
If they do not have any, I would be concerned.

have a look to see if there are people of similar size you can with.
If they only have big guys, I would be concerned.

I usually advise people to choose the closest gym as well.

Travelling long distance is all good fun but it gets old after a while.

Great advice here.

When I was looking for a gym I found many of them to be secretive about pricing. They asked you to come in for a trial then they will discuss price. That doesn't mean the school is crap (maybe the guy on the phone was an idiot), but I've noticed reputable schools just tell you the price knowing they can rely on their solid reputation.

Another thing to look out for is whether the gym charges extra for everything, like belt advancement training and testing, competition classes, etc.. Again, doesn't mean it's a bad gym but there could be hidden costs. And it could mean it's a bad gym lol.

It may not be possible, but I think it's beneficial to join a school that does stand up training as well. I train Muay Thai, but I love being able to roll occasionally so I am not totally lost on the ground. You may find it beneficial to train standup once and a while so you are not lost there as well (and for a great workout).

I would also add to look to see, if you can, how successful the students are at competing. Fuck the instructor's record, I don't care tbh. They all seem impressive, but I care how good he/she is as coach, not a competitor. If the students compete and get killed, or no on competes, I would see that as a red flag.

Like lechian said, a big thing is the contract. I would be concerned if they lock you in long term. I wouldn't worry about month or 3 month commitments, but beyond that is a red flag too. To me that means they have the typical gym model that they pay their bills by having members pay but stop attending. Plus, it will likely take a few months to figure out if you like the gym and the art. It's frustrating at first, so you won't know after a week or two. But if you sign up short term it's much less of a loss. This is especially important if this is the first time you're training martial arts (they aren't for everyone, even people who think they would like training).

I also think a positive sign is when a gym allows non-members to train and brings in outsiders for seminars. That's just a personal preference, but it's a good sign to me that they want to bring in new sparring/rolling partners and get other perspectives. It tells me the instructors don't think they're god's gift to Muay Thai/BJJ or whatever.

Sorry that's long, I went through the process and thought this could help.

If you're not in a hurry, it helps to keep an eye on the gym of your choice's facebook page/web site (assuming they have one, and these days they probably should).

Like others have said, it pays to find a gym that's close. The better chance you won't find excuses not to go.

If you've never done any kind of grappling before, you might want to sign up for the shortest time possible up front. So many people can't take getting beat all the time and if you're at a decent gym that's been open a while, you WILL get tapped a LOT.

Being in shape isn't the same as being in bjj shape.

So I'm looking into Jiu Jitsu as a method of channeling negative energy and enforcing mental discipline as well as physical fitness. I'm looking for advice on what to expect training wise and price wise, I.E what level of fitness should I be in prior to taking instruction, what techniques will be drilled, ETC.

I am a soft five six, 135, and I used to run track and cross country in high school. I consider myself to be moderately in shape now but with a few weeks of cardio I could be in much better shape. 21 years of age, btw. But yeah, advice?

I'm 5'6" at 140lbs, 19 years old and got my blue a few weeks ago. Don't worry much about the size of other students at your gym, it hardly matters with the diversity of techniques or "game" (style in which someone who trains bjj might create to grapple, which is best suit themselves and their physique) that there are.

Not to put him on a high horse, but check out

[YT]watch?v=en9M1eCt-TI[/YT]

-he's 4'11" and weighing in at about 120lbs, fights guys 80lbs+ regularly and wins plenty of competitions, purple belt at my gym. All he knows how to do is fight bigger guys, that's just what his "game" is all about.

But yeah, competition at your gym is a big thing to look out for, and remember that grappling is a different type of cardio than running, but it definitely helps! It's kind of an expensive sport month to month, some contracts offer lower prices month to month but may be a bad idea if you don't like the sport/school.

Good luck!

Back