Fixing the Shoulders.

zere0wn

Green Belt
Reaction score
Whatsup Fellas?

Over the next few months this thread will be a pretty detailed log of my thoughts plans and accomplishments on the road to recovery from shoulder surgery. Any advice, reading material, or encouragement, much appreciated.

History:

I've had poor posture all my life. From the countless hours I spent hunched over my desk asleep at school, to the even more countless hours i spent on this addiction machine they call a computer. This has lead to the downfall of my upper body, particularly my shoulders. In combination with the fact that I've been surfing since I was 12, without doing any opposing motions to complement the surfing motions. So I have significant muscle imbalances as a result of the surfing. Everything felt fine though, till a few years ago, can't be sure on the exact time frame. Surfing in the winter with a thick wetsuit on paddling hard for a good size wave I felt my shoulder "move". It didn't dislocate, but it moved. Later i learned this is called a subluxation Once this starts, it doesn't stop, especially untreated. Things became worse and worse and it began to happen more frequently until my shoulder finally legitimately dislocated and I had to relocate it myself in the water. Time for a doctor visit. My family practice doctor told me "that just happens to some people" and that I just have to put it back in place and keep going. 20 Painful dislocations later I got to go to an orthopedic surgeon. After physical therapy was basically no help, I got an MRI. Tear in my labrum, but not that big of a deal physical therapy may fix the problem. It didn't. Time for surgery. Surgery in December, sweet christmas, more physical therapy at the same place. 4 months later I got back to my passion, surfing. Too early, I believe you are supposed to wait 6 months. Later on that summer got into a fight. Not sure exactly how, but my shoulder dislocated pretty fucking easy. Physical therapy, started surfing earlier than I was supposed to again. Surfed all that winter fine, summertime. It's been over a year now since that dislocation, I'm drunk rough housing with my friends and all of a sudden my shoulder pops out. I'm in shock I thought the problem was fixed! I had been doing my physical therapy THE ENTIRE TIME. Get another MRI, another tear, but should heal on its own. 3 months later I'm getting dressed for school i have my hand on the shirt rack, I turn and sneeze violently, apparently it was a pretty awkward position for my shoulder. Instead of going to take an exam i spend 2 hours in the ER with an incompetent doctor yanking on my arm with all his weight telling me to relax. The morphine did nothing. Someone told me dislocating your shoulder is one of the most painful things you can do without passing out. I believe it. Go to the doctor, "you know what this means", "yup, surgery". December 19th arthroscopic repair of my ligament again. Here I am now, 20 days away.

What I think I Did Wrong the First Time(s):

- Not enough healing time
- Physical therapists strengthen the muscles around the shoulder, but do not fix the problem that caused dislocation.
- Not keeping the arm in a sling long enough

How I'm Going to do it Right This Time:

- Read, Read, Read. It's up to everyone to be their own best doctor.
- Wait the full months and do it right
- Try to find a better physical therapist
- Eat organic! most foods are lacking the proper nutrients to repair your body sufficiently and correctly.
- Correct the PROBLEM not just the injury.
- Cut down on the alcohol, a lot.

Medical Problems I Believe Contribute to My Injury:

- Kyphosis
- Winged Scapula
- Rounded Shoulders

That's enough for this post. More to come soon.

Paul Chek:

After reading a lot about Paul Chek in a surfing magazine, and what he has done for some surfers, I decided to investigate further. I found a lot of people consider him to be one of the best healers in the business and I enjoyed reading his work. I decided to purchase his book,

Day 1:

Today I did the PT routine which my last physical therapist drew up for me, not sure of the technical name for all the exercises but here they are:

With a theraband:
-Horizontal pull
-First 4 exercises in this video
Normal Weights:
-Bent over arm extensions to the side
-Bent over arm extensions to the back
-Rolling the ABCs with a tennis ball on the wall
-Pushups leaning on a wall
-Blackburns and variations from the video

The blackburns I realized I might be doing them wrong, especially after watching that video. I was doing them with 5 pounds but I don’t think my back muscles were engaging before, and when I tried really hard to engage my back muscles certain motions in the exercises were a lot harder. I think this might also indicate some shoulder impingement, not sure will read more.

I got to measure my height and weight and body fat, not going to put any pics on here.

Height: 6’1
Weight: 165 (Don’t laugh I was up to 185 before the injury took me out of the squat rack)
Body Fat: 12%

Lots of wok to do.

I didn’t get to write-up my workout plan, busy with school and whatnot, hopefully I can do the reading and tests I want to do tomorrow and get that going since I don’t have long before surgery.

Tomorrow:

-Workout Plan
-Core work

Day 3:

Exam time at school, super busy. Still didn’t get the workout plan done. Did core work and stretched.

Tomorrow:

-Workout Plan
-Physical Therapy

Day 4:

Stretched, physical therapy, addressed a muscle imbalance. I decided to do some tests located on here to determine if I had a winging scapula, and what caused it. I didn’t do all of the tests yet but the very first one I had an issue with. The first test showed my left shoulder blade very winged (this is the one I have the main problems with), and my right one probably to an extent too. This website said that this is due to loss of serratus anterior muscle function. So I did some research on training this muscle. I found this article by Eric Cressey, which is a great and helpful article. So I decided to incorporate some extra exercise at the end of my physical therapy, the shoulder saver #2 in this article. I added both the exercises he recommended, with the dumbbell punch only on the left shoulder since it seems like it needs more work.

So today I did:
- my standard resistance band excercises
- same extensions I normally do
- some curls (the long head of my bicep acts up on occasion, although it hasn’t in awhile)
- scapular pushup (1 set of 10)
- 1-arm dumbbell protraction (2sets x 10 reps x 15lb)

I know the exercise log isn’t very detailed here, but it is in my notebook, I don’t have time till after the semester to write-up everything.

Tomorrow:
- More extensive core work
- Test for other muscle imbalances/shoulder issues

Day 5

Core and Stretched. Wasted the rest of my day.

Tomorrow:

- Lots of physical therapy

Man, that sucks. My shoulder is hurting just thinking about that shit...You get good meds at least?

Lots and lots of good meds. I didn't take them though. Lol I'm kind of weird I guess, I hate taking pain killers. I think they are poison. I took them for about 3 days after my first surgery is it, and I plan on not taking any this time.

Day 5

Stretched, Did a couple different physical therapy routines. Added shrugs, figure 8s, "swords". I'll look up the technicaly name and add weights soon I swear. Lol.

Tomorrow:

- More PT
- Stretch
- Read a few more articles on proper posture

Lots and lots of good meds. I didn't take them though. Lol I'm kind of weird I guess, I hate taking pain killers. I think they are poison. I took them for about 3 days after my first surgery is it, and I plan on not taking any this time.

Uh..send them my way. No seriously, put them in the mail and send them to me please.

Day 6

Alcohol

Day 7

Stretched and did physical therapy routine focusing on the serratus anterior. Right now I'm wondering (and doubting) if I will see a change in the winged scapula problem before surgery. Probably not.

Tomorrow:

-Rest upper body i think everything is sore
-Core

Day 8

Stretch and Core. Anyone got any insight on how long after surgery it would be ok to do some small amounts of exercise not on the shoulder. Like say a stationary bike or some body weight squats?

Tomorrow

-Physical Therapy
-Read on Posture

Day 9

Stretch. Did a short PT routine. My muscles constantly sore either from constantly trying to have correct posture or consistently doing PT. Surgery in 1 week and 4 days.

Tomorrow

-Dunno depends how I feel.

Phew, been awhile. School exams suck. One week to go.

Day 10-12

Nothing, Exams

Day 13

Stretch and did one of my physical therapy routines that I call "PT3". It consists of the theraband excercises from a video i posted above. And some other things:

Theraband: 6 excercises for 20 reps
Bent over extension to the side: 1 set of 15 reps with 1lb
Bent over extension to the back: 1x15x1
Wall Circles and diagonals: 1 set of 20 reps (each movement) with a basketball
Wall ABCs: With basketball
Pushups with stability ball: 1 set 10 reps girl style
Blackburns: 4 sets of 6 seconds stationary in each positon with 1lb
--the positions for blackburns (all laying on belly and trying to engage back as much as possible)
-position 1: hands straight out in front like superman
-position 2: same as 1, but with thumbs point in the air
-position 3: Arms making a "Y" with body
-position 4: Same as 3 but with thumbs pointed up
-position 5: Arms straight back like im free falling out of a plane
-position 6: elbows at side but bent as if making a "V" with each arm

blah blah blah.

On a sidenote, today officially started my 30 days of no alcohol and trying to as close to 100% organic as possible. This is going to be a tough challenge for sure.

Tomorrow

-Stretch and 2 more PT routines.

Back