Media Flashback: Tony Ferguson refused to face Micheal Johnson when Khabib was hospitalized at UFC 209

They took the title off the line and cut his pay to fight MJ. He had everything to lose and nothing to gain except for some cool points with nerds on Sherdog. It’s a business kids.

They took the title off the line and cut his pay to fight MJ. He had everything to lose and nothing to gain except for some cool points with nerds on Sherdog. It’s a business kids.
Well, he would have been able to avenge his loss. That's a hell of a lot more than cool points with nerds on Sherdog.

But yeah, risk vs reward. He thought the money was not worth the risk, which would be losing a fight to a guy who has his number, Micheal Johnson.

For full disclosure: they never released exact #'s to my knowledge. The info came from Tony who said it was pretty much equal. And when you think of all the risks with taking the fight (forget losing, just think of all the medical suspensions for guys that WIN) it just made no sense for him to take the fight. And he proved that correct when his next fight was for the interim belt and he got paid 500k (far more than any other fight in his career).

Even if it was for only a little more and not worth the risk I can understand his position... but that doesn’t mean I like it. Tony was paid to fight, not to weigh in... but good for him for being able to game the system. Warriors like him deserve every ounce they can milk and I won’t dog him for that.

Most fighters dream about avenging losses.

Look at Kevin Lee. He was chasing that Iaquinta rematch for years even though Iaquinta was ranked well below him at the time of the rematch.

People said how much Lee improved, but he got his ass whupped, again.

I scored that fight a draw. Iaquinta definitely closed the show more definitively and did more damage overall, but that 10-point must system'll get ya every time.

Well, he would have been able to avenge his loss. That's a hell of a lot more than cool points with nerds on Sherdog.

But yeah, risk vs reward. He thought the money was not worth the risk, which would be losing a fight to a guy who has his number, Micheal Johnson.
Well if fat boy Khabib would have fulfilled his professional obligations and made weight that weekend, we could have seen Tony turn him into a bloody mess instead of having this retarded conversation huh?

Well if fat boy Khabib would have fulfilled his professional obligations and made weight that weekend, we could have seen Tony turn him into a bloody mess instead of having this retarded conversation huh?
If Tony wasn't wearing his sunglasses inside deciding to trip over cables the day before the fight, we wouldn't have to be talking about him at all as he'd just be another dominant UD on Khabib's perfect record, and victim of Micheal Johnson.

Nah the risk is just that so many winning fighters still get medical suspensions. No point "avenging your loss" just to break a finger or something and have the AC put you on the shelf and then miss a 500k payday. Simple economics.

Even if it was for only a little more and not worth the risk I can understand his position... but that doesn’t mean I like it. Tony was paid to fight, not to weigh in... but good for him for being able to game the system. Warriors like him deserve every ounce they can milk and I won’t dog him for that.

I don't really think it's gaming the system though. He was scheduled to fight that night for a certain amount. Due to reasons having nothing to do with him, his opponent was unable to fight. They offered him a different opponent but for less pay. It's a business. I don't blame the UFC for wanting to pay him less for a non title fight, but the flipside is that nobody should consider him "gaming the system" just because he has to make the correct career choices for himself.

I know you aren't trashing him for it but I just think this is a case of a guy making the only rational choice, not "gaming the system".

no shit.. he already got whooped by him before...do you blame him?

Lost a decision while having a broken arm. And both guys obviously the same as when they fought the first time.

FFS...

Lost a decision while having a broken arm. And both guys obviously the same as when they fought the first time.

FFS...
still lost and then ducked him when the offer came through...

still lost and then ducked him when the offer came through...

Yeah and has won 11 in a row since then while MJ has not improved and become an afterthought.

LMAO "ducked" him. Made a financial choice that literally any fighter on the roster would make. But by all means, dont let me dissuade you from thinking moronic things.

Kebab chickened out twice from a fight against Cowboy (UFC 178, UFC 187) and twice against Tony (TUF 22 Finale, UFC 209). Now he is hiding from Tony for the third(!) time.

TS, go get some decency.

Yeah and has won 11 in a row since then while MJ has not improved and become an afterthought.

LMAO "ducked" him. Made a financial choice that literally any fighter on the roster would make. But by all means, dont let me dissuade you from thinking moronic things.
Yea haha OK!

Wonderboy would tool Bobby K again tho.
Bob can't make 170 anymore but at 185 he KOs Thompson in the present day. He survived Romero twice so he does whatever he wants to anyone at 185 and below.

The anybody anytime "fighting attitude" died around 2014.

People are fighting for money, power, and position.

In retrospect, GSP (and McGregor) was right.

The most relevant current outlier is Max Holloway who is kicking everyones ass anyway......

Back