Flyweight Flop Bantamweight Top - Why?

TSexy

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Why do those ten pounds from 125 to 135 matter so much to the general mma fan?

There must be some kind of mental man limit somewhere in between - maybe at 130 lbs?

FYI - A bantam is a chicken of a small breed, the cock of which is noted for its aggression.

Last edited:
Exactly. So why is the division in constant danger of being shut down, as opposed to bantamweight which geta a lot of praise?
#TenPounds
Because most American fans don't find it exciting because of lack of KOs I guess

I personally find their speed, fight IQ, and technique enjoyable

I'd much rather watch quality flyweight fights than sloppy HW brawls with zero technique or fight IQ.

Just right when we thought flyweight cud get interesting they trade Mighty Mouse for an old geezer on the verge of retirement with a bum hip, TJ get usadaed, n Henry ditches the division to move up to 135 and then retires

I don’t know but you’re on to something. I mean, the talent at 135 is top tier. It’s one of the best divisions in the entire UFC. There are multiple guys that constantly put on fun fights. All of that, and it’s extremely deep. So it may have nothing to do with the size of the fighters.

Put any weight class up against 135 and it will look weak. It isn’t just 125. People definitely have a thing about the smallest weight class though.

You are not wrong. The thing is 135 is just a lot deeper than 125. Other than Benavidez and Figuereido there just isnt too much talent in the division anymore. Was diffenrent when MM and Cejudo were around, but rn its just super lame. BW is exciting because there a re so many top contenders that havent fought each other.

Because BW is the hottest division in all UFC right now so you can't compare

I like both weight classes, but BW has a lot more established stars.

BW Top Talent: Jose Aldo, Dominick Cruz, TJ Dillashaw, Cody Garbrandt, Marlon Moraes, Urijah Faber, Peter Yan, Aljamain Sterling, etc...

FLW Top Talent: Mighty Mouse, Jussier Formiga, Joseph Benavidez, Uh... other people... names..?

I think that devision simply has bad luck, no one currently in that devision has a personality that can bring big attention, and the talent pool of high level contenders is small as well. Henry came from that devision, so it's definitely possible for that devision to be interesting. I think at some point it can become just as interesting as 135, when eventually the right people come along. It's just unfortunate that it hasn't happened in all this time, when Henry was becoming champ it was looking a lot more hopeful, but right after he saved that devision he pretty much abandoned it lol.

I like both weight classes, but BW has a lot more established stars.

BW Top Talent: Jose Aldo, Dominick Cruz, TJ Dillashaw, Cody Garbrandt, Marlon Moraes, Urijah Faber, Peter Yan, Aljamain Sterling, etc...

FLW Top Talent: Mighty Mouse, Jussier Formiga, Joseph Benavidez, Uh... other people... names..?

I agree. Outside of Figureido, there hasn’t been any new consistently exciting streaking contenders for years. I keep hoping Moreno will pan out into a legit contender, but just like Jussier, he just keeps disappointing me.

I don’t know but you’re on to something. I mean, the talent at 135 is top tier. It’s one of the best divisions in the entire UFC. There are multiple guys that constantly put on fun fights. All of that, and it’s extremely deep. So it may have nothing to do with the size of the fighters.

Put any weight class up against 135 and it will look weak. It isn’t just 125. People definitely have a thing about the smallest weight class though.

I wonder if the Flyweight division is shut down - then Bantamwwight is the smallest division. Would that take away some interest for that division, just because that's now the smallest?

Its all hype
At one point in like 2015 the bantamweight division had guys like Demetrious, Benavidez, Horiguchi, Cejudo, Formiga, Lineker, Bagutinov, Dodson
If they had put any effort into promoting these guys and putting them on higher spots on the card instead of burying them on the prelims, that could've been a great division.

But right now, its just isn't nearly deep enough. Altho it has some fun younger fighters like Fig, Moreno, Perez, Pantoja, Askarov, France. With a few good signings and a little bit of promotion they could make it into something, but I doubt they do anything.

I wonder if the Flyweight division is shut down - then Bantamwwight is the smallest division. Would that take away some interest for that division, just because that's now the smallest?

Interesting observation. I think not. For sure some MMA brainless fans will probably diss it for that. Most MMA fans are reasonable and will appreciate any division that has depth and interesting fighters (e.g., similar to the current straweight division).

Exactly. So why is the division in constant danger of being shut down, as opposed to bantamweight which gets a lot of praise?
#TenPounds
Covering their asses because they failed to promote it properly. I don't get it. Honestly. Asia has a rich pool of talent they could've poached before one fc ever had a chance to. Instead they blame and undervalue dj. Fuck them.

It'd just feel weird imo, knowing that a whole division was axed for no reason. What happens to the flyweights? Will they stay behind and move up to bw to fight bw weight cutting expert lanklets? (lanklets is a relative term. 5'11" isn't "tall" per se)

Back