Food for bulking

100 cal per mile? That seems too low. I know it can fluctuate depending on weight and stuff but I figured it would be at least double.
That's what the internet says. It's an average, but wouldn't be too far off for a moderate run for an average sized person. better runners would burn less, newer runners would burn more due to poor mechanics. That's why the old exercise your way into a calorie deficit is a poor way to lose weight. People overestimate their activity levels, eat to compensate and then gain weight. @DoctorTaco has the opposite issue where he is probably burning more cals from all his pad work than realised and not eating to compensate. The running isn't the issue.

That's what the internet says. It's an average, but wouldn't be too far off for a moderate run for an average sized person. better runners would burn less, newer runners would burn more due to poor mechanics. That's why the old exercise your way into a calorie deficit is a poor way to lose weight. People overestimate their activity levels, eat to compensate and then gain weight. @DoctorTaco has the opposite issue where he is probably burning more cals from all his pad work than realised and not eating to compensate. The running isn't the issue.
If I run with my wife it’s about a 9:30 mile pace. Real easy. When I run alone it’s not a whole lot better, I hit about 8:50 miles right now.

I’m definitely built to run, it’s always agreed with my body. When I was fighting I’d hit 18:30 for my 3 mile time a few days a week

If I run with my wife it’s about a 9:30 mile pace. Real easy. When I run alone it’s not a whole lot better, I hit about 8:50 miles right now.

I’m definitely built to run, it’s always agreed with my body. When I was fighting I’d hit 18:30 for my 3 mile time a few days a week

At your weight and pace, I think that 100 cal number would be pretty close. Pad work is going to blow the cals from that run out of the water. People are always so quick to drop running when they talk about mass gain. You are only running 3 miles 2x a week at an easier pace. In my opinion you are better off keeping it in and adjusting your calories to cover it. You just need to know what those calories are before you can adjust to cover them.

At your weight and pace, I think that 100 cal number would be pretty close. Pad work is going to blow the cals from that run out of the water. People are always so quick to drop running when they talk about mass gain. You are only running 3 miles 2x a week at an easier pace. In my opinion you are better off keeping it in and adjusting your calories to cover it. You just need to know what those calories are before you can adjust to cover them.
I don’t want to continue getting winded demonstrating and coaching at the same time, and I know that my heart probably appreciates the little cardio I do on top of how dirty I eat

I recommend 2 beers with lunch and 4 with / after dinner.

You could be 160 in a few months!

You're in Portland right? Go get a 1 liter stein from Stammtisch.
Combine that liter with that goddamn cheeseburger of theirs and I’ll be at Heavyweight in no time. It’s so good.

Last edited:
Ask a heavyweight bodybuilder trying to bulk up and they will tell you eating becomes a chore. You simply have to eat more. You can plan out your meals and ballpark know how many calories to eat per meal and what each meal will consist of. You can run even 10 miles per day but that just means you may have to pack away 10k calories per day.

People telling you to eat 4k calories may be underestimating what it may truly take. Granted you're not an olympic athlete but Phelps had to eat 10k calories per day while staying chiseled.

5’10 and floating between 145-150lbs. Physically active job and I’m lifting 3x a week, running 3 miles 2x a week. I’m struggling to gain and keep weight on. My lifts are going up, and I’m shredded like a god damn Greek statue but I’m still about 10-15lbs lighter than I want to be.

I eat everything. All the time. Burgers, pizza, eggs, toast, rice, steak, mass building protein shakes, I’m trying my best to dirty bulk and nothing sticks to my ribs.

I don’t know how many calories I’m consuming but it’s got to be north of 3k a day (the shakes alone are 1440). Does anyone have any recommendations on things I could be eating or meal prepping to become thick, solid and tight?
Drink milk. As much as you can. Close to or even over a litre a day is okey. Drink it like water. Nice cold milk from the fridge. Instead of chicken eat meat with high fat content like pork (atleast 500g per day). And eat alot of bread. After youre finished your meal try to get atleast 3 slices of bread ontop your meal.Try to get like 10 slices of white bread down per day like this after meals. Every evening eat100g chocolate bar or a cake or a pack of candy. ALso you can drink coca cola

Last edited:
I'd suggest reducing to lifting 2x per week and running 1x per week.

Woke up at 149, but that’s probably partially bc I got stoned last night and ate a bunch of blueberry cobbler right before bed.

I don’t usually have an appetite in the morning, so that is something I have been trying to be better about.

Todays breakfast was
2 eggs, 2 pieces of toast with butter and jam, 2 pieces of bacon, an apple, a big piece of blueberry cobbler and a mass gainer protein shake.

I just stuffed myself full of rice and teriyaki chicken for lunch (they were out of beef). It was a Big order and I forced myself to finish it.

I’ve got some spaghetti with homemade meat sauce at home for after work followed by another mass gainer shake.

Lifted heavy yesterday and my legs/ass are smoked from hiking Monday and squats yesterday so I’ll skip the run and probably hit the stair stepper while carrying a plate or med ball instead.

Video on bulking popped up and reminded me of this thread. Guy is on youtube so he's gotta know what he's talking about.

Woke up at 149, but that’s probably partially bc I got stoned last night and ate a bunch of blueberry cobbler right before bed.

I don’t usually have an appetite in the morning, so that is something I have been trying to be better about.

Todays breakfast was
2 eggs, 2 pieces of toast with butter and jam, 2 pieces of bacon, an apple, a big piece of blueberry cobbler and a mass gainer protein shake.

I just stuffed myself full of rice and teriyaki chicken for lunch (they were out of beef). It was a Big order and I forced myself to finish it.

I’ve got some spaghetti with homemade meat sauce at home for after work followed by another mass gainer shake.

Lifted heavy yesterday and my legs/ass are smoked from hiking Monday and squats yesterday so I’ll skip the run and probably hit the stair stepper while carrying a plate or med ball instead.

My brain read the last line as "hit the stair stepper while carrying a plate of meatballs instead".

Don't forget to add cheese to everything, it's like free extra calories.

Combine that liter with that goddamn cheeseburger of theirs and I’ll be at Heavyweight in no time. It’s so good.

Also don't forget that the 1 liter stein counts as 1 beer.

I'm partial to their bacon braised rabbit.

Last edited:
Fry in medium heat in cold pressed olive oil coconut fat. Eggs. Chicken wings and thighs. Minced beef. Natural peanut butter. Milk, whole fat. Kefir. Grilled cheese. Lots carbs. Protein shakes. A lot of fruit. Papaya, banana, avocado, pinaple. Any. Honey, Mapple syrup.
Almonds.
Source - I'm 255.

In the end it's quantity. You just have to eat more.

Todays breakfast was

You need another actual meal thrown in I reckon and a bigger breakfast. Atleast 4-6 eggs or equivalent.

You're smashing in a big meal followed by a shake, but some extra cals between lunch and dinner would be better.
Good thing they just did a study (i"ll try and find it) that says protein consumption doesn't appear to have an upper limit in a single sitting. Your body just uses it throughout the day.

Have you ever tracked your calorie expenditure for the pad work? I would be interested.

You need another actual meal thrown in I reckon and a bigger breakfast. Atleast 4-6 eggs or equivalent.

You're smashing in a big meal followed by a shake, but some extra cals between lunch and dinner would be better.
Good thing they just did a study (i"ll try and find it) that says protein consumption doesn't appear to have an upper limit in a single sitting. Your body just uses it throughout the day.

Have you ever tracked your calorie expenditure for the pad work? I would be interested.
Best I can tell you is when I was holding 35-40 hours a week (bought a house but wrecked my body) I would go to the sandwich shop and look at the menu in order to eat what ever had to most calories. 2400 in one sitting easily. I was hitting 4-5k a day and maintaining weight.

I’ve cot a pretty mobile and active style of holding pads too, im basically sparring and directing my fighter at the same time:

More meals makes sense. That’s a good call

Back