Footwork thread

shincheckin

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Hey guys, so many of us from beginner to expert and everywhere in between should work on their footwork. So I decided I would start a thread of footwork drills that you like or have dont that you have found usefull. Preferably videos of the techniques rather than conversations. I'll kick it off with a few vids that have helped me regarding footwork

this guys youtube channel is great:

This walking forward and backwards while punching is what we do a lot and what we warm up with. I have found it very useful in increasing my ability to spam 1-2-1-2 combo and overwhelm opponents with volume.

We also spend a lot of time on the bag practising the 1-2-1-2 or the 2-1-2 on the bag while staying, moving forward, backwards or to the sides. It is fundamental in boxing in my opinion at a newbie level to be able to transition from any punch or combo to a 1-2-1-2 or 2-1-2 combination as a form of volume, defending or just in general it overwhelms. I noted increased performance in boxing sparring once I figure it out. Not matter what I do I add a 1-2-1-2 or 2-1-2 combo to it and suddenly I am pressuring, I am fighting more, I am doing more and I am barely in a need to defend.

What else we do is 2 forward steps to the left with the left foot going to the left, then changing to two forwars steps with the right food going to the right. It basically helps in closing distance.

And lastly not a footwork dril you can do alone, but a partner drill but I found it very useful. One partner steps in while guarding and the other one meets him with a cross or an uppercut while going backwards to maintain the distance. Helps a lot newer guys to get used to taking hits or maintaining distance.

Sorry I can not post videos, but our 79 years old coach is strongly against recording. The guy is an old school Olympic medallist who requires discipline.

Last edited:
This walking forward and backwards while punching is what we do a lot and what we warm up with. I have found it very useful in increasing my ability to spam 1-2-1-2 combo and overwhelm opponents with volume.

We also spend a lot of time on the bag practising the 1-2-1-2 or the 2-1-2 on the bag while staying, moving forward, backwards or to the sides. It is fundamental in boxing in my opinion at a newbie level to be able to transition from any punch or combo to a 1-2-1-2 or 2-1-2 combination as a form of volume, defending or just in general it overwhelms. I noted increased performance in boxing sparring once I figure it out. Not matter what I do I add a 1-2-1-2 or 2-1-2 combo to it and suddenly I am pressuring, I am fighting more, I am doing more and I am barely in a need to defend.

What else we do is 2 forward steps to the left with the left foot going to the left, then changing to two forwars steps with the right food going to the right. It basically helps in closing distance.

And lastly not a footwork dril you can do alone, but a partner drill but I found it very useful. One partner steps in while guarding and the other one meets him with a cross or an uppercut while going backwards to maintain the distance. Helps a lot newer guys to get used to taking hits or maintaining distance.

Sorry I can not post videos, but our 79 years old coach is strongly against recording. The guy is an old school Olympic medallist who requires discipline.

can you elaborate on this one? i dont get it

this is a great channel. got some cool stuff to work on after peeping some of their vids.

yeah man i have tried to direct alot of people to his channel, but i think your the first that actually has.

dudes a good coach and knows his shit and is straight sharing knowledge. theres alot of BS nonsense guys on youtube that dont know what they are talking about. theres also great coaches both on youtube and in real life that are stingy/dont share their knowledge/secrets.

Kind of the side steps he does in 45-50 sec but it is going forward. It looks weird when you do it as it is like to forwardish side steps to one side then two forwardish side steps going to the other side. But it is very helpful in surrounding opponents and putting them in the corner. We do the same going backwards but more rarely. And honestly so far we do not do much of footwork. The footwork we do as a warm ups 5-10 minutes and then we spend a lot of time punching and correcting punching technique and learning how to fight.

I ve watched some of the videos. Funny we learned some of the old school guards and that jab like defending this man on the video explains in one of his self defence videos. We spend a lot of time on actually learning how to fight, we get explained that hands hit each other very often and you can basically defend with the jab, because chances a cross hits your arms or shoulders while you jab is very normal thing. We really spend a lot of time on jab wars 1v1 jabbing each other using different techniques to get opponents defence down. We spend a lot of time on how to guard and etc. Basically right now I am so accustomed to defend with the jab by slipping outside and jabbing that I feel I cant get punched :D And ye we spend a lot of time fighting at long range with jabs and crosses. And all these exercises with footwork we warm up with come in handy when you want to push your opponent to the corner - surrounding and spamming 1-2s going forward.

Kind of the side steps he does in 45-50 sec but it is going forward. It looks weird when you do it as it is like to forwardish side steps to one side then two forwardish side steps going to the other side. But it is very helpful in surrounding opponents and putting them in the corner. We do the same going backwards but more rarely. And honestly so far we do not do much of footwork. The footwork we do as a warm ups 5-10 minutes and then we spend a lot of time punching and correcting punching technique and learning how to fight.

I ve watched some of the videos. Funny we learned some of the old school guards and that jab like defending this man on the video explains in one of his self defence videos. We spend a lot of time on actually learning how to fight, we get explained that hands hit each other very often and you can basically defend with the jab, because chances a cross hits your arms or shoulders while you jab is very normal thing. We really spend a lot of time on jab wars 1v1 jabbing each other using different techniques to get opponents defence down. We spend a lot of time on how to guard and etc. Basically right now I am so accustomed to defend with the jab by slipping outside and jabbing that I feel I cant get punched :D And ye we spend a lot of time fighting at long range with jabs and crosses. And all these exercises with footwork we warm up with come in handy when you want to push your opponent to the corner - surrounding and spamming 1-2s going forward.

im still lost even more so after watching at 45-50 lol

It means he just bangs!

I've been doing this thing in boxing. They call it "shifting". It's kind of like stance changing between orthodox and southpaw. But mid combo. GGG does it alot. Tyson used to. McGregor did it against Floyd alot. It's hard to explain without seeing it. Like throw a 1-1-2 but when you throw the 2, step your back leg forward to change to south paw mid combo and finish with a 3 or stay in southpaw. Just a cool thing if your the type who likes to be unorthodox.

yeah man i have tried to direct alot of people to his channel, but i think your the first that actually has.

dudes a good coach and knows his shit and is straight sharing knowledge. theres alot of BS nonsense guys on youtube that dont know what they are talking about. theres also great coaches both on youtube and in real life that are stingy/dont share their knowledge/secrets.

They take videos of actual drills of the classes which I like.

Lots of cool footwork drills on the heavybag, as well as pendulum stepping drills. All good basic stuff to practice.

I've been doing this thing in boxing. They call it "shifting". It's kind of like stance changing between orthodox and southpaw. But mid combo. GGG does it alot. Tyson used to. McGregor did it against Floyd alot. It's hard to explain without seeing it. Like throw a 1-1-2 but when you throw the 2, step your back leg forward to change to south paw mid combo and finish with a 3 or stay in southpaw. Just a cool thing if your the type who likes to be unorthodox.

i understand shifting, but this guy is saying he takes 2 steps when he shifts, which wold mean he shifts and then steps backwards? not quite making sense to me.

It is like shifting but really you do not shift immediately. You start with 2 steps, then shift +1 step, then shift +1 step. It is a very used drill in soccer too to get you comfortable with dribbling or defending in different angles. The idea of the drill is to be able to get different angles and distance quickly without being too worried on how to do it. It is just creating good habits.

i get two steps fwd and a shift.

i dont understand what way your stepping after the shift because shifting changes your position and stance.

if im orthodox, and take two steps fwd, then shift to my left, im now southpaw. then i "step" in what direction, then shift again, then "step" in what direction? not following you man. maybe you can post video of the soccer drill?

i understand shifting, but this guy is saying he takes 2 steps when he shifts, which wold mean he shifts and then steps backwards? not quite making sense to me.
Keep it simple and just bang harder.

Back