For anyone that thinks Usman is above GSP already...

So did anderson silva. Is anderson a lightweight cause it fits our narrative?

Do you even know how this all started before you decided to chime in? Just in case you don't, someone tried taking away from Usman's accomplishments by claiming he fought! a bunch of FORMER LWs. The problem with that statement is that so did GSP which is what I pointed out.

Having said that, do I consider Silva a LW? No. Was he a FORMER LW? Obviously he fought at 160 years ago.

But Masdival with 35 victories x 2 fights accounts for 24.9% of Usman's? You did some work, but compare apples to apples. If you think beating the same guy multiple times inflates the stats - Mas is that apple. And an apple with a much worse record the Matt.

This is a good point, and after adding up the number of victories of each of Usman's opponents at the time they faced him, I got a total of 252. The picture in the OP states 281. This shows that the numbers in the OP are inaccurate. Maybe they used each opponents' total career wins instead of their wins at the time of the fight? If that's true, then Hughes accounts for a higher percentage - 28.13%. I'll add that although Masvidal accounts for 24.91% of Usman's win column, he accounts for 42.86% of the losses as well, and Hughes only accounts for 33.75% of the losses for GSP. Hughes adds 135 wins and 27 losses, while Masvidal adds 70 wins and 30 losses. Again, this is assuming that whoever made the picture has their math right. All seems fucky now that I added up Usman's opponents' wins myself and got a different number.

This is a good point, and after adding up the number of victories of each of Usman's opponents at the time they faced him, I got a total of 252. The picture in the OP states 281. This shows that the numbers in the OP are inaccurate. Maybe they used each opponents' total career wins instead of their wins at the time of the fight? If that's true, then Hughes accounts for a higher percentage - 28.13%. I'll add that although Masvidal accounts for 24.91% of Usman's win column, he accounts for 42.86% of the losses as well, and Hughes only accounts for 33.75% of the losses for GSP. Hughes adds 135 wins and 27 losses, while Masvidal adds 70 wins and 30 losses. Again, this is assuming that whoever made the picture has their math right. All seems fucky now that I added up Usman's opponents' wins myself and got a different number.
Yeah I was looking at the impact of the additional losses made and left it out when I wasn't able to articulate what I was thinking, but I believe it should be in GSPs favor because Hughes' numbers improve GSP's win-loss ratio more than Mas improves Usman's ratio.

Yeah I was looking at the impact of the additional losses made and left it out when I wasn't able to articulate what I was thinking, but I believe it should be in GSPs favor because Hughes' numbers improve GSP's win-loss ratio more than Mas improves Usman's ratio.

That just reiterates my point that Hughes inflates the shit out of GSP's numbers. He's an outlier. He's adding almost double the wins that Mas does, with 3 less losses.

That just reiterates my point that Hughes inflates the shit out of GSP's numbers. He's an outlier. He's adding almost double the wins that Mas does, with 3 less losses.
But that just proves that beating Hughes is a bigger accomplishment and should count more. I get the angst at it counting three times though. But one was a loss and it seems unfair to hold a trilogy with the man who was previously the greatest WW ever against GSP. I mean at the time of those fights, there was no one better to fight, no higher ranked opponent waiting for a shot. How can you say "Well if he hadn't fought the greatest, most dangerous, guy at the time - an all-time great and HOFer - THREE times, his record wouldn't be as good."

But that just proves that beating Hughes is a bigger accomplishment and should count more. I get the angst at it counting three times though. But one was a loss and it seems unfair to hold a trilogy with the man who was previously the greatest WW ever against GSP. I mean at the time of those fights, there was no one better to fight, no higher ranked opponent waiting for a shot. How can you say "Well if he hadn't fought the greatest, most dangerous, guy at the time - an all-time great and HOFer - THREE times, his record wouldn't be as good."

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that Hughes is an outlier that inflates GSP's stats. The GSP fanboys are always trying to use these obscure and inflated stats in new ways to claim GOAT for GSP. Outliers of this magnitude are typically discarded in statistics because they sway the numbers so drastically, but the GSP fanatics want to glorify them and be dishonest about it while doing so, so they can push their narrative and continue to live in fantasy land. Does that make more sense? Lol

Mark-Twain-lies-damned-lies-statistics.png

Sure, using big numbers where you can find them to make your case seem unassailable is an old trick, but to say that weighting a series of victories over Matt Hughes more than victories over Colby or Masdival is dishonest or living in fantasy land does not seem quite right either. And that is the crux of your argument - that the victories over Hughes, presented numerically, shouldn't count as much as some people want to count them.
Both Guys are great fighters, but for me GSP still takes by way of being so dominant for so long. And he always fought the best guys available. Usman needs to do that more, regardless of win-loss ratios. IMO.

And an outlier who accounts for 11.5% of GSPs record shouldn't be discarded.

You've **

Grammar is pretty important, especially when you're trying to insult someone. It speaks on your inability to understand basic concepts, as well as your inability to determine other peoples' level of comprehension, relative to your own. Kind of like your inability (or unwillingness to accept) that GSP didn't want the fight.

“Never,” White said outright. “GSP didn’t want that fight. We had these deals where, at that time, Anderson Silva was in a very unique position. He could have gone down [to welterweight] to fight Georges St-Pierre, they could have come up with a catchweight…GSP didn’t want to move up [to middleweight] to fight Silva.”

Testing was never mentioned in regards to the Silva fight. Not only did GSP dodge the shit out of NSAC enhanced testing before the Hendricks fight, he retired from the sport just a few months before it was permanently implemented. Don't try to sway the topic, though, as you delusional girls always attempt to. He didn't want the fight. It was and is, still, well known.

You were new to MMA at the time. Don't pretend you weren't, fella.

Lol yea because people only watch mma when they join Sherdog

I just want to know: what kind of mental illness do people who claim Usman > GSP suffer from?

Attachments

• 323232.jpg
    323232.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 13
The Nigerian Nightmare has nightmares about Khamzat Chimaev. He will make every excuse starting with, “let’s see him beat some contenders.”

It might be a bit presumptuous - but I think he knows that belt is gone.

Last edited:
C'mon guys they are both champs. Like real solid champs unlike all the other champions of their respected divisions at this point in time (except Nunes)

upload_2021-11-25_22-53-8.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2021-11-25_22-52-28.jpeg
    upload_2021-11-25_22-52-28.jpeg
    8.5 KB · Views: 1
Gsp didnt want to fight prime Andy. That's the way it was - and I dont blame him.

I never understood why GSP got so much heat for not moving up to fight a much bigger Silva while Silva never got any heat for not moving up to fight Jon. Basically Silva challenged a weight class down without even moving to that lower weight class but wanting the smaller fighter to move up to his (higher) weight class or nearly to it.
In my opinion, if anyone is to get heat, it’s Silva, not GSP.

Back