For those with experience. What is the best assault rifle on the planet? or the top 2 or 3?

I’m not arguing that an AR isn’t a reliable rifle, I do believe an AK is more reliable and can take overall more punishment tho.

That's fine, I was addressing your comments about burying an AR.

The AR has basically every advantage besides extreme reliability in some situations.

Significant accuracy advantage, significant user configurable ergonomics advantage, rail space that will hold zero for optics, lights, IR laser for nvg, modular system you can change the upper to a different caliber or barrel length in seconds.

That's fine, I was addressing your comments about burying an AR.

And that’s fine.. but you’re addressing what clearly was meant as hyperbole. I didn’t think that needed to be spelled out.

And that’s fine.. but you’re addressing what clearly was meant as hyperbole. I didn’t think that needed to be spelled out.

People hold that actual opinion, as in not hyperbole and that is why myself and a couple others made comments. And btw as I said I saw your post before you edited it. You said to try it with the AR, I know the AK will fire. Meaning you seemed to hold that actual position. As in, not hyperbole.

Regardless you can throw an AR in mud or anything else. It's a closed system, it will be unaffected unless the muzzle is plugged which is a problem for any platform.

People hold that actual opinion, as in not hyperbole and that is why myself and a couple others made comments. And btw as I said I saw your post before you edited it. You said to try it with the AR, I know the AK will fire. Meaning you seemed to hold that actual position. As in, not hyperbole.

Regardless you can throw an AR in mud or anything else. It's a closed system, it will be unaffected unless the muzzle is plugged which is a problem for any platform.

No, that is not exactly what I said or what I meant. I edited my post because I didn’t want it to be looked at as a comment that condemned one over the other because that isn’t what I was going for and I knew it would be taken that way.

And here you are making a great case for why I chose to edit the post. Because that’s how you took it.

I’ve seen stress tests on both weapons in those conditions with varying results for both weapons.

I have also stated from the begging, and continue to state, that both are equally great platforms in their own right.

I edited this post too btw

No, that is not exactly what I said or what I meant. I edited my post because I didn’t want it to be looked at as a comment that condemned one over the other because that isn’t what I was going for and I knew it would be taken that way.

And here you are making a great case for why I chose to edit the post. Because that’s how you took it.

I’ve seen stress tests on both weapons in those conditions with varying results for both weapons.

I have also stated from the begging, and continue to state, that both are equally great platforms in their own right.

I edited this post too btw

Seemed to me that either incarnation of your comment warranted a response.

Seemed to me that either incarnation of your comment warranted a response.

If you took the initial hyperbolic comment literally, I could see why. But it’s now being taken out of context. Because it was taken literally, and wasn’t meant to be.

Nothing wrong with saying the AK is reliable, which is what I was going for in the initial comment. Acting like pointing that out is also saying the AR isn’t -was not my intent.

If you took the initial hyperbolic comment literally, I could see why.

Or if you believe there's people out there reading this public forum who might.

We're all friends here, my man. Nobody is trying to make it sound like you don't know your shit. :)

Or if you believe there's people out there reading this public forum who might.

We're all friends here, my man. Nobody is trying to make it sound like you don't know your shit. :)

Agreed. Just trying to clear any confusion here. I own an AR (Colt LE 6920), so it’s not like I’m trying to bag on AR’s. I’ll also fully admit my experience with AK’s is very minimal so I can’t really call on personal experience to make any definitive judgements between the two.

I have seen many stress tests done to both guns tho and they can both handle a large amount of punishment while continuing to do their job.

Agreed. Just trying to clear any confusion here. I own an AR (Colt LE 6920), so it’s not like I’m trying to bag on AR’s. I’ll also fully admit my experience with AK’s is very minimal so I can’t really call on personal experience to make any definitive judgements between the two.

I have seen many stress tests done to both guns tho and they can both handle a large amount of punishment while continuing to do their job.

Love my 6920 and also have little experience with AKs. A Saiga 12 is the extent of it. My impression is if you get the internals dirty then, as you stated, the AK is more likely to keep shooting. But as RTR stated, keep your dustcover closed and shit won't get in the AR. I won't be throwing any of my guns in the mud to test that out. :D

Thanks for coming in to post here. We can always use the traffic.

Love my 6920 and also have little experience with AKs. A Saiga 12 is the extent of it. My impression is if you get the internals dirty then, as you stated, the AK is more likely to keep shooting. But as RTR stated, keep your dustcover closed and shit won't get in the AR. I won't be throwing any of my guns in the mud to test that out. :D

Thanks for coming in to post here. We can always use the traffic.

Yeah I need to get in here more. Surprised there aren’t more in here tbh, I know a decent amount of people here shoot..

People drop by from time to time, but the regulars are few in number.

I see.. I’ll try to stop by more often then.

Btw, I see the yellows, don’t get bant man. War Room I’m assuming, lay low in there.

Please do.

Thanks for the words of support.

Yeah.. most cats in there are trolling anyway. They want to get reactions out of people in there and they get away with it. As an OT’er I don’t have an issue with that as long as there’s a balance, and there clearly isn’t in there, and that’s why I post sparingly in that place.

That, and my humor doesn’t always go over well in that forum lol

Apparently mine too!

7409544_orig.jpg

im going to actually explain whats going on here, as an armorer who has to repair peoples firearms nearly every day.

The vaunted 'open tolerances' of the AK are actually its biggest weakness, see, the thing about loose tolerances is that they leave gaps and spaces between your moving parts, gaps that allow for the ingress of foreign matter that tends to impair operation of said moving parts. The 'common knowledge' of the AK's loose tolerances being a benefit lie in the mistaken belief that they allow grit to 'fall out' of the mechanism and thus not impede anything. That is so much horse shit i want to die. Firearms tend to be oiled and lubed, and most tend to have their parts contained WITHIN an exterior. What this means is that grit doesnt 'fall away' from a surface so much as adhere to it because its covered in lubricants and carbon. This shit collects and tends to cause catastrophic failure.

Now GOOD weapons have TIGHT tolerances, because if you dont have significant gaps and access points in your firearms, then you tend to NOT get foreign debris in them to begin with. Now the downside to this is that those weapons generally require a modicum of maintenance, i.e basic cleaning/lubrication. An unlubed, dry as fuck AK WILL run better than unlubed dry af AR-15...but only because the tolerances allow for more grinding and flexing. Not because the AK is somehow less effected by grit, sand and mud. The AK is far more likely to be negatively impacted by filthy conditions than an AR class weapon if both are cared for to a basic degree.

Back