Former champion Marcos Galvao parts ways with Bellator

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
A 135-pound tournament winner and former bantamweight titleholder, “Loro” became a free agent after Bellator chose not to re-sign him when his contract expired, Galvao confirmed Wednesday to MMA Fighting.

Galvao racked up a 9-6 record over the past seven years in Bellator, scoring wins over the likes of Joe Warren, L.C. Davis, and Luis Nogueira. Galvao captured the belt with an impressive second-round submission over Warren in 2015.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/2/21/17038458/former-champion-marcos-galvao-parts-ways-bellator

I think the UFC should give him a shot, IMO.

EDIT: Oh my God, he lost Sam Sicilia...

I think he's probably going to go back to the New England regional scene with this. Maybe Shooto will offer him a good contract and he'll go back there after 10 years [real Japanese Shooto, not Shooto Brazil], or MAYBE one of the Eastern-European leagues will pick him up, but I think him getting a good offer at Shooto again is more likely than that (and that's less likely than him going back to Ring of Combat for a year or so and picking up a few wins).

Funfact about Galvao: he's unofficially 14-0-1 against grapplers in his career (counting the Joe Warren and Alexis Vila fights as wins, since they were unanimously considered robberies and I think the Warren fight was among the top contenders for the 2011 Robbery Of The Year, otherwise he's 12-2-1 with the two losses being highly controversial) and he's 1-7 against strikers, the win being a very close fight that could've just as easily been a draw. The Sam Sicilia fight was more competitive (by a lot) than the Emanuel Sanchez and Eduardo Dantas losses, but it still really nailed the point home about how much Galvao struggles against strikers, and he'll run into that problem anywhere he goes.
Which kinda sucks for him, cuz' there are a lot of high-level guys that he could beat. His style is a very uphill battle for anyone whose greatest strengths are centered around their grappling, and there're still a number of those guys in the bantamweight and featherweight divisions. There's a reason he has such an impressive record against a lot of very solid grapplers (Joe Warren, Shuichiro Katsumura, Naoya Uematsu, Chase Beebe, Luis Nogueira, Travis Marx, current 4th-degree Jiu-Jitsu black belt and three-time Mundials champion Fredson Paixao).

Maybe ONE will pick him up and have him fight Aoki or someone

bitter sweet about these cuts. on one hand, it sucks that fighters are getting cut. ive watched alot of these fighters, so i feel for them. on the other hand, other fighters have complained that they arent getting enough fights per year. bellator has been making some signings lately, so they definitely needed to trim the fat. i do hope that they start giving fighters more consistent fights. cant build a fighter if they fight once every eight months.

hope he finds a good landing spot.

hopefully Japan for him, honestly wouldn't mind seeing him fight some of the Rizin guys. Don't think hes heading to the UFC tho

hopefully Japan for him, honestly wouldn't mind seeing him fight some of the Rizin guys. Don't think hes heading to the UFC tho

RIZIN or ONE would be awesome. I bet he goes to ACB or FNG

Did PFL fill up all its spots? Has a good crack to win a Million bucks

Hopefully he gets a stint on TUF.

Did PFL fill up all its spots? Has a good crack to win a Million bucks
I doubt it.

They did advertise 72 fighters in their video package, but that was before they even signed Will Brooks. They seem to still be close to the UFC so signing guys like Johny Hendricks is probably #1 priority for the PFL. They should definitely be thinking about signing Galvao, though.

There will be no Bantamweight tournament this year, from what I heard. If Galvao were to go to PFL, he would have to be in the Featherweight tournament, which has some pretty decent fighters.

I think he's probably going to go back to the New England regional scene with this. Maybe Shooto will offer him a good contract and he'll go back there after 10 years [real Japanese Shooto, not Shooto Brazil], or MAYBE one of the Eastern-European leagues will pick him up, but I think him getting a good offer at Shooto again is more likely than that (and that's less likely than him going back to Ring of Combat for a year or so and picking up a few wins).

Funfact about Galvao: he's unofficially 14-0-1 against grapplers in his career (counting the Joe Warren and Alexis Vila fights as wins, since they were unanimously considered robberies and I think the Warren fight was among the top contenders for the 2011 Robbery Of The Year, otherwise he's 12-2-1 with the two losses being highly controversial) and he's 1-7 against strikers, the win being a very close fight that could've just as easily been a draw. The Sam Sicilia fight was more competitive (by a lot) than the Emanuel Sanchez and Eduardo Dantas losses, but it still really nailed the point home about how much Galvao struggles against strikers, and he'll run into that problem anywhere he goes.
Which kinda sucks for him, cuz' there are a lot of high-level guys that he could beat. His style is a very uphill battle for anyone whose greatest strengths are centered around their grappling, and there're still a number of those guys in the bantamweight and featherweight divisions. There's a reason he has such an impressive record against a lot of very solid grapplers (Joe Warren, Shuichiro Katsumura, Naoya Uematsu, Chase Beebe, Luis Nogueira, Travis Marx, current 4th-degree Jiu-Jitsu black belt and three-time Mundials champion Fredson Paixao).
He would be 0-2 against Joe Warren if the ref hadn't mistook the Baddest Man's battle cry for a scream/verbal submission.

Back