Former UFC Title Challenger Michael McDonald Retires After Yet Another Broken Hand

giphy.gif

Always loved watching this guy fight, no idea why some people here are so toxic or pretend they don't know him.

He was a great JBG disciple, 3 decisions in 23 fights, pretty rare for a BW.

Good luck to Mayday, he's still so young.

Always loved watching this guy fight, no idea why some people here are so toxic or pretend they don't know him.

He was a great JBG disciple, 3 decisions in 23 fights, pretty rare for a BW.

Good luck to Mayday, he's still so young.

The guy was one of the only true knockout machines at bantamweight before guys like Cody and TJ developed. He almost finished Barao when he was still on top, and his career overall is just a highlight reel of beautiful shots.

Very unfortunate that his hand broke something like four times. I broke the metacarpals in my right hand years and years ago and they're still a little lumped. I can only imagine doing it again and again.

Good for him, glad he's got a good set up to retire on.

3 years from now his body will feel good and he will come back.

This dude is from my hometown

“Mayday” is calling it a day.

Bellator and UFC veteran Michael McDonald has decided to retire after seeing his career limited by hand injuries over the last few years. The 27-year-old bantamweight confirmed the news on Facebook following an interview with ESPN.

“My friends and family, I am excited to announce the start of a new chapter for me and my wife Rachel,” McDonald wrote. “Today I am officially retiring from MMA fighting and I plan on never competing in martial arts competitions again. I had a wonderful career and a wonderful staff, and even greater — a wonderful wife and a wonderful God to thank for all the great moments.

“I am now going to be doing my woodworking full time from here on for many, many years to come. I have been a professional cabinet and furniture maker for seven years now alongside my fighting. I have my own custom cabinetry and furniture shop and i am just as passionate about woodworking as i am about martial arts. I put the same hard work and striving for perfection into my woodworking craft as you have all seen in my fighting career.”

McDonald began his career in November 2007, competing 23 times and compiling a 19-4 record. He challenged Renan Barao for the UFC interim bantamweight championship at UFC on Fuel TV 7 on Feb. 16, 2013, losing that fight by fourth-round submission. After going 6-3 in the Octagon, McDonald made the move to Bellator where he went 2-0. In his last fight this past July, he knocked out former Bellator champion Eduardo Dantas in 58 seconds.

However, that spectacular finish was marred by McDonald injuring his left hand. It was one of several injuries that hindered his career. Since December 2013, McDonald was only able to make the walk to the cage five times.

“This last fight, everything was perfect,” McDonald told ESPN. “This feels good. Most people, when they quit, it’s because they can’t hang. They’ve been beaten out of the sport and their family is sitting them down and asking them to please stop. For me, it’s not a matter of skill or being able to perform, but I’m at a point where the cost is greater than the reward.”

Much respect. A solid, composed, skilled dude, who sees the bigger picture, and is realistic in his worldview.

He will always be remembered as the guy sitting next to Conor at that post fight press: "Tiis custom meid suuts aant chiip. Three people died making this watch, you know"..

Millions of people will see him on Conor's trash talk high lights from here to eternity.

Conor bless.

when a fighter leaves the ufc its kinda of like they have retired for me. they aren't fighting in the biggest org or the best fighters (bar a few) sad but true at least for me. wish him well anyway

Hey I respect your point of view... but look at what the STRIKEFORCE fighters did when they came over! Luke was champ, DC is currently the 2X Champ, Gilbert had a Razor sharp decision against Benson & even Bellator Alvarez made some Headway, even with his Brawl Out Style! It's not where the talent is per say... but which organization develops it better! And before Stirkeforce, PRIDE also gave them a run for their money! Dana knows a thing or two about the fight Game... but Scott Coker ain't no idiot as well!

he was an exciting fighter and i liked his fights. i was cringing when he was bashing dantas' head in his last fight. of course, he broke his hand again.
war mayday!

That's a shame.
He was very talented.
I think everything fell through when he lost to Faber though

Time flies. I still remember him as a young up and comer.

Scrappy fighter, I was sad when he came.back after that long layoff and got finished pretty quickly. Thought he could come.back and make another run at the title

You can't break your hand too many times or you are really screwed for life. I understand this on his part and respect him leaving mma.

If he is a woodworker, his hands are essential to that. The hand, an underrated part of the body.. So often do we forget about the hand in wake of the eyes and legs.

He seemed like a nice kid with good, blue collar parents and wish him the best. He went out on a win, and that is something else good.

Agreed. The stories are out there about his financial issues during his first big layoff when he broke his hand/wrist. Really shitty position to be put in when you can't fight and now you can't fall back on your other trade. Kind of makes you wonder what would happen if fighters had better benefits/job securities.

Never been a fan of McDonald, in fact he sucks

Always been a wendys man myself

I am very sorry

Back