Law France becomes the only country in the world with Constitutionally Guaranteed Abortion. UK considering relaxing Abortion Laws.

650lb Sumo

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score

France

France has become the first country in the world to explicitly include the right to abortion in its constitution.

Parliamentarians voted to revise the country's 1958 constitution to enshrine women's 'guaranteed freedom' to abort.

The overwhelming 780-72 vote saw a standing ovation in the parliament in Versailles when the result was announced.

President Emmanuel Macron

_99665956_1336ce50-6f00-4044-a794-c9d29be6493c.jpg

described the move as 'French pride' that had sent a 'universal message'.

However anti-abortion groups have strongly criticised [Sic - Criticism is not necessarily negative.] the change, as has the Vatican.

Abortion has been legal in France since 1975, but polls show around 85% of the public supported amending the constitution to protect the right to end a pregnancy.

Following the vote, the Eiffel Tower in Paris was lit up in celebration, with the message: 'My Body My Choice'.

82024535-13155855-image-a-11_1709576400640.jpg

[Note the choice of language.]

But not all support it, with the Vatican repeating its opposition to abortion.

cq5dam.thumbnail.cropped.750.422.jpeg

Stock Image

"There can be no 'right' to take a human life," the Vatican institution said in a statement, echoing concerns already raised by French Catholic bishops.

It appealed to 'all governments and all religious traditions to do their best so that, in this phase of history, the protection of life becomes an absolute priority'.

UK

MPs will vote on an amendment to the Criminal Justice Bill in March, with most saying women should not be prosecuted if they end pregnancies beyond 24 weeks.

The majority of MPs say women should no longer be prosecuted if they end pregnancies beyond the 24-week legal time limit, The Times can reveal, with less [Sic - fewer] than one in four in favour of criminal action.

Women can be jailed under the 1861 Offences Against the Person Act if they have an abortion outside set circumstances.

A landmark amendment to the Criminal Justice Bill, due to be voted on in the House of Commons in March, means the 1861 law would no longer apply to women ending their own pregnancies.

This has broad cross-party support:

M.png

The amendment would bring the law in England and Wales in line with Northern Ireland, where abortion was decriminalised in 2019.

Dame Diana Johnson,

diana%20homepage%20meta_0.jpg

the Labour MP putting forward the amendment, said treating abortion as a health rather than a criminal issue would mark a 'historic step forward' for women.

Six women have appeared in court in England charged with illegal abortions since December 2022. Before then, only three women had been convicted of an illegal abortion since the law was introduced in 1861.

Abortion was decriminalised in Northern Ireland in 2019. Other nations including Canada, New Zealand, Australia, France and the Netherlands have decriminalised abortion.

So no restrictions at all, any time any reason?

• Eek
Reactions: N13
So no restrictions at all, any time any reason?
On paper that is not the case, but as I understand it, in reality it is, and that was already the policy in France and probably most European countries, although not England, Scotland and Wales.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: Made the wording clearer.

Last edited:
On paper no, but as I understand it, in reality yes, and that was already the policy in France and probably most European countries, although not England, Scotland and Wales.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

So on paper a mother that is 8 and 1/2 months pregnant with a healthy child could get pissed off at the father or any reason and legally kill the child.

• Eek
Reactions: N13
So on paper a mother that is 8 and 1/2 months pregnant with a healthy child could get pissed off at the father or any reason and legally kill the child.
That is my understanding - the doctors' approval etc. is a formality. However I haven't looked into it deeply and maybe someone will come along and say I'm overstating things somewhat. The only snag I know of is you might be asked to pay if you are an illegal immigrant. You can also have an abortion in France without parental consent from the age of 8. Does this mean they won't tell your parents if you ask them not to? I'm not sure, I would expect so, if it's practical not to.

More facts and figures:

Abortion in France is legal upon request until 14 weeks after conception (16 weeks after the pregnant woman's last menstrual period). Abortions at later stages of pregnancy up until birth are allowed if two physicians certify that the abortion will be done to prevent injury to the physical or mental health of the pregnant woman; a risk to the life of the pregnant woman; or that the child will suffer from a particularly severe illness recognised as incurable.

Today almost all European countries allow abortion on request or on broad social grounds and only a very small minority maintain highly restrictive laws prohibiting abortion in almost all circumstances.

In Europe over 95% of women of reproductive age live in countries that allow abortion on request or on broad social grounds.

999.png

(Although the address of the above pdf has 2020 in, as mentioned in the OP abortion was legalised in Northern Ireland in 2019.)

Abortion on request means that doctors or other professionals are not required to attest to, or certify, the existence of a particular reason or justification for the abortion.This means that the ultimate decision on whether to continue or end a pregnancy belongs to the pregnant woman alone. Abortion on request is legal in:

Austria
Belgium
Bulgaria
Croatia
Cyprus
The Czech Republic
Denmark
Estonia
France
Germany
Greece
Hungary
Ireland
Italy
Latvia
Lithuania
Luxembourg
The Netherlands
Northern Ireland
Portugal
Romania
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Sweden

There are said to be about 225,000 abortions a year in France and the same in the UK.

Edit: To confirm this answer maybe someone could tag one of the French posters.

Last edited:
It was 12 weeks previously, then they increased it to 14 maybe 2 years ago, then the US kicked ours back to the states, so France threw a tantrum and decided "oh yeah, well we'll brutally murder every goddamn last kid in this country to show you who's boss". They already banned paternity tests like 15 years ago. They wanted everyone to know that they're so progressive that they made cuckolding mandatory and elected a president that married some old hag that molested him when he was underage.

France

France has become the first country in the world to explicitly include the right to abortion in its constitution.

Parliamentarians voted to revise the country's 1958 constitution to enshrine women's 'guaranteed freedom' to abort.

The overwhelming 780-72 vote saw a standing ovation in the parliament in Versailles when the result was announced.

President Emmanuel Macron

_99665956_1336ce50-6f00-4044-a794-c9d29be6493c.jpg

described the move as 'French pride' that had sent a 'universal message'.

However anti-abortion groups have strongly criticised [Sic - Criticism is not necessarily negative.] the change, as has the Vatican.

Abortion has been legal in France since 1975, but polls show around 85% of the public supported amending the constitution to protect the right to end a pregnancy.

Following the vote, the Eiffel Tower in Paris was lit up in celebration, with the message: 'My Body My Choice'.

82024535-13155855-image-a-11_1709576400640.jpg

[Note the choice of language.]

But not all support it, with the Vatican repeating its opposition to abortion.

cq5dam.thumbnail.cropped.750.422.jpeg

Stock Image

"There can be no 'right' to take a human life," the Vatican institution said in a statement, echoing concerns already raised by French Catholic bishops.

It appealed to 'all governments and all religious traditions to do their best so that, in this phase of history, the protection of life becomes an absolute priority'.

UK

MPs will vote on an amendment to the Criminal Justice Bill in March, with most saying women should not be prosecuted if they end pregnancies beyond 24 weeks.

The majority of MPs say women should no longer be prosecuted if they end pregnancies beyond the 24-week legal time limit, The Times can reveal, with less [Sic - fewer] than one in four in favour of criminal action.

Women can be jailed under the 1861 Offences Against the Person Act if they have an abortion outside set circumstances.

A landmark amendment to the Criminal Justice Bill, due to be voted on in the House of Commons in March, means the 1861 law would no longer apply to women ending their own pregnancies.

This has broad cross-party support:

M.png

The amendment would bring the law in England and Wales in line with Northern Ireland, where abortion was decriminalised in 2019.

Dame Diana Johnson,

diana%20homepage%20meta_0.jpg

the Labour MP putting forward the amendment, said treating abortion as a health rather than a criminal issue would mark a 'historic step forward' for women.

Six women have appeared in court in England charged with illegal abortions since December 2022. Before then, only three women had been convicted of an illegal abortion since the law was introduced in 1861.

Abortion was decriminalised in Northern Ireland in 2019. Other nations including Canada, New Zealand, Australia, France and the Netherlands have decriminalised abortion.
Sick fucks

So France made murdering children legal. Abortion is a necessary evil in some cases. I support it with restrictions. At a certain point it's a child.

Back