Social Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore collapses after getting hit by a container ship

Pick up trucks were more relevant to the conversation than I first thought.

In seriousness I wonder how this will affect the price of cars and trucks and if certain types of vehicles will be more affected than others. I also wonder what other specific goods might be uniquely disrupted by this. The article mentions lithium batteries so I wonder if that will affect the EV market.

Losing the bridge seems like it'll be an extreme annoyance and giant headache to daily traffic.... Like if Houston lost the Beltway 8 Bridge and traffic had to be rerouted to the 610 and Fred Hartman bridges...

45-60 minutes commutes would turning into 75-90 daily commutes... or longer, lots longer.

cca1a8a72fb26e809aad2243f65ff80b.jpg

Once the bridge is removed... Don't see much impact to shipping. The bridge removal time will be minimal compared to rebuilding it.

I seriously feel for the people who used that bridge on their daily drives. Losing the I-10 bridge here from a barge impact for a few months seriously fucking up traffic bad.

This is going to take years... I'm guessing 1-2 years mininum to design and put out for bid, then another 5-8 years building it. Depending on how much money they want to spend.

The saying in Construction is... You have three choices in how to build a project - Cheap, Fast and Quality. You get to pick two.

If they want Fast & High Quality... open the checkbook. But this is a case where Federal money should definitely be used... and lots of it. Just get it fucking done.

If there was ever an optimum chance for a Biden win... would be to step in and fast track this project with money and expedite a bid BEFORE the election. Put the Army Corps of Engineers in tandem with the Maryland Department of Transportation

Shred all the fucking Red Tape that bogs down these huge Federal Projects... Just plow through them. Fuck the environmentalists and their demands for multiple studies (happens every time). Issue a State of Emergency or an EO... or whatever. Have enough money to demand the winning contractor will need a three shift rotation to go 24/7. Put contract demands that steel fabricators must promise to prioritize the project over existing projects, offering hefty bonuses for meeting early completion deadlines.

There's ways to do it... it's just expensive. But I've seen it done locally on a massive Water Plant I was involved that was a fast tracked through the Design Build process. They paid a premium, but it was done much faster than I've ever seen on a Plant that size.. the largest in the US I believe.

If Biden could take some credit in getting that done... Fucking Hero

I live in the country and have a %ood deal of my life. I have family that's still farms. The family has switched to turkey farming. It was a very long time ago when I worked for tobacco farmers in the summer as a cropped or hanger as a teen. Before that as a child I worked as a "sticker". For moving equipment now I'm just describing what I see around me now. I'm not an expert in the equipment now used for sure. When I said harvester I was talking about the parts the take off around here and move around on a fifth wheel with a flatbed.

I live in the country, and I am a farmer. I’m not just some guy that tries to act like an expert because they have family that farms, like you.
You don’t know what you’re talking about.
Just stop.
And next time, don’t call someone else a city boy when you don’t know what you’re talking about.

A temporary channel has been opened. I’m not sure what size ships can get through.

Pulled off a random news page, im sure more info is in a local notice to mariners if you want to dig.
Officials earlier said the channel would have a controlling depth of 11 feet (over 3 meters), a horizontal clearance of 264 feet (80 meters) and a vertical clearance of 96 feet (29 meters).

For "limited access for tugs and barges"

I live in the country, and I am a farmer. I’m not just some guy that tries to act like an expert because they have family that farms, like you.
You don’t know what you’re talking about.
Just stop.
And next time, don’t call someone else a city boy when you don’t know what you’re talking about.
I never called you a city boy I was talking to another poster in reference to what he posted. You jumped in.
I never said or pretend I was an expert but I grew up much of the time in my life in the country. I worked on farms summers when I was a kid. I live in the country now. I know I hell of a lot more country life then the person I was answering. You jumped into to this. You said you had only a Ranger in an answer to one of my post and I asked how you got your equipment around with only that. If you do and that's all you need for your farm that's your needs but it certainly isn't by a long shot all farmers. Much depends on where what and how they farm. I have family that farms their land and land they lease so they have to move equipment over the road some distance. They move it with whatever types of trucks they need and have or in some cases they hire.
So I don't never said you didn't have just what you said you had and it was not all you that is you needed. Just asked how you moved your equipment, it was a question not some kind of "I don't believe you". I take it you farm all land that is joined or very close together or something like that or you have something that works for you.

I'm now about how it's done where I have lived and worked. However I don't pretend and didn't say I was an expert on your methods or needs.

So no I'm not going to "just stop".

However this is a derail and not the thread for this but if you want to start a thread on this I will answer any post you direct to me honestly. I would like to know more about how it is where ypu are. I'm not going to pretend to know everything about farming in this area and only what I know as its been a very long time since I worked on them. I can see what and how its done here now and I'm always enjoying learn more.

Last edited:
I never called you a city boy I was talking to another poster in reference to what he posted. You jumped in.
I never said or pretend I was an expert but I grew up much of the time in my life in the country. I worked on farms summers when I was a kid. I live in the country now. I know I hell of a lot more country life then the person I was answering. You jumped into to this. You said you had only a Ranger in an answer to one of my post and I asked how you got your equipment around with only that. If you do and that's all you need for your farm that's your needs but it certainly isn't by a long shot all farmers. Much depends on where what and how they farm. I have family that farms their land and land they lease so they have to move equipment over the road some distance. They move it with whatever types of trucks they need and have or in some cases they hire.
So I don't never said you didn't have just what you said you had and it was not all you that is you needed. Just asked how you moved your equipment, it was a question not some kind of "I don't believe you". I take it you farm all land that is joined or very close together or something like that or you have something that works for you.

I'm now about how it's done where I have lived and worked. However I don't pretend and didn't say I was an expert on your methods or needs.

So no I'm not going to "just stop".

However this is a derail and not the thread for this but if you want to start a thread on this I will answer any post you direct to me honestly. I would like to know more about how it is where ypu are. I'm not going to pretend to know everything about farming in this area and only what I know as its been a very long time since I worked on them. I can see what and how its done here now and I'm always enjoying learn more.

You called someone else a city boy, but showed that you don't know what you're talking about either.

City boy.

You called someone else a city boy, but showed that you don't know what you're talking about either.

City boy.
There is no point arguing with him.

Me: most Americans don’t need a pickup truck

Him: reeeee I live in rural country( doesn’t even realize percentage of Americans living in rural areas)

There is no point arguing with him.

Me: most Americans don’t need a pickup truck

Him: reeeee I live in rural country( doesn’t even realize percentage of Americans living in rural areas)

Me - plenty of people in the rural areas need and use them all the time.

Him- no they don't.

Well yes people all the time use them for what they were designed for.

Even in the suburbs people that pull RVs and do nothing else need them for that.

Me - plenty of people in the rural areas need and use them all the time.

Him- no they don't.

Well yes people all the time use them for what they were designed for.

Even in the suburbs people that pull RVs and do nothing else need them for that.
LOL Where did I say rural people didn't need trucks? I just laughed because you said you had two trucks. One for throwing out garbage and the other one for leisure. Come on you make it seem like you are out there doing work with both vehicles. Is owning an RV not a leisure item for most people? What is the percentage of households do you think own RVs?

I am not saying these people don't need Trucks. It's just most Americans don't need it. The ones that actually need to use trucks for work are definitely not the majority. You can look at truck designs in the past 20 years. The beds keep getting smaller while the cabs are getting larger.

LOL Where did I say rural people didn't need trucks? I just laughed because you said you had two trucks. One for throwing out garbage and the other one for leisure. Come on you make it seem like you are out there doing work with both vehicles. Is owning an RV not a leisure item for most people? What is the percentage of households do you think own RVs?

I am not saying these people don't need Trucks. It's just most Americans don't need it. The ones that actually need to use trucks for work are definitely not the majority. You can look at truck designs in the past 20 years. The beds keep getting smaller while the cabs are getting larger.

Some people own trucks just have them. I see young guys around here with trucks that are jacked up with low profile tires that are all about looks. However you see the same with cars. So people buy all kinds of vehicles they don't need just want.

As for me the reason I have two trucks is because I don't get rid of vehicles untill they are not worth anything. The one truck which is my daily driver I have had for over 20 years. It's a v6 and gets good mileage. The other I needed for the RV and travel. It's new to me but not a new truck.

Around here because of the need to take your own trash to the dump and just other stuff people buy or have old trucks that sit unless they need to make a trash run or haul things.

Do yes some people have trucks just to have them and will never use it as a truck but that's not different then a lot of vehicles.

Dude you have two trucks. Lol you just proved my point. You have one work truck and one truck for leisure activities. Keep telling me I am not American now lol.

Seriously go look up how many trucks are being sold in America and how many are actually being used for leisure activities. You will probably change your mind about it being some necessity.
Trucks are a necessity for tradesmen hauling material and equipment. They are also a necessity for those that cut their own firewood and just generally hit the mountains. And no, a light truck such as a Tacoma doesn't work in the snow. Put enough weight in the back, a Tacoma will be serviceable on the highway in the snow, but not on mountain trails. Too light. Plus you can't chain the front tires due to a stupid design flaw by Toyota. You can barely chain the back tires because of the e brake cable location. But rear tires don't help you steer. I'll take my 1500 series 1-1/2 cab gasoline engine truck any day. Where I can chain all 4 wheels and has 420 hp that gets me out of trouble when I get myself inevitably into some on the backwoods/desert trails/sand pits where I live. Not everyone's truck is a vanity project. Some of us drive them hard. And yeah, I did own a Tacoma for almost a decade. Can't chain it, not enough weight overall for snow even with excessive amounts of weight over the rear wheels. But great turning radius on tiny switchbacks. Comes in handy when you come to the end of the line on an old skid road with a cliff above you and a drop off (another cliff!) below you. Short(ish) wheelbase 1500s all day in the mountains for me.

Doesn't look like it was a known maintenance issue or maintenance schedule neglect.

Ship had some routine engine maintenance scheduled for after this trip, equivalent of getting an oil change. In June 2023 they were inspected by Chilean authorities and fixed some fuel heater's pressure gauges and it was fixed before departing (as well as being non critical). And the US Coast guard inspected the ship in September of 2023 and found no issues.

Waited 2 weeks for this garbage? His tone is actually that of someone scolding or yelling at someone Lol

Back