Social Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore collapses after getting hit by a container ship

I guess the ship lost power. That's why it hit the bridge. That's just crazy, I hope they rescue more than the 2 that they already pulled out.

I'm waiting to see when and where the casualty took place in relation to the bridge, ships speed, tides ect...

...there are drills for loss of propulsion, training and inspections that are to be done on commercial vessels.

Holy shit.

Be interesting to see the voyage data recorder from the ship.....

I gotta wonder when and how well that bridge was last inspected as well.
An almost 1,000 foot, fully loaded cargo ship ran into it, at a pretty decent rate of speed. The kinetic energy of that thing was of the charts. It's weight was probably around 120,000 metric tons.
Kinetic energy= 1/2*mass*speed^2, mass we know, speed as a conservative estimate at 10 kph, which is about 3 meters per second, so 1/2*120,000,000*3^2=540 million joules of energy. That's the same as about 135 kg/ 300 lbs of TNT.

An almost 1,000 foot, fully loaded cargo ship ran into it, at a pretty decent rate of speed. The kinetic energy of that thing was of the charts. It's weight was probably around 120,000 metric tons.
Kinetic energy= 1/2*mass*speed^2, mass we know, speed as a conservative estimate at 10 kph, which is about 3 meters per second, so 1/2*120,000,000*3^2=540 million joules of energy. That's the same as about 135 TONS of TNT.

I am well aware of inertia, advance and transfer, stopping distance, gross tonnage.

Again, I'd like to see it's SOG when it made impact, at what aspect and all the other environmental factors.

You'd be surprised.

Yes a big ass ship is going to fuck shit up, but if the bridge maintenance was neglected shit would be fucked up worse.
Nah. That bridge could have been three days old off new install and the same thing would have happened. A runaway 100k ton battering ram collided with one of the primary load bearing structures.

Yeah it's pretty brutal. Awful for the people on the bridge. Thankfully there weren't any more.

Nah. That bridge could have been three days old off new install and the same thing would have happened. A runaway 100k ton battering ram collided with one of the primary load bearing structures.
For the real,

That bridge wasn’t stopping that ship at that speed..damn thing obliterated that giant concrete structure.

Too bad they didn’t have enough time or control of the ship to steer it into the concrete pillars holding the power lines in front of the bridge. Possibly could have slowed it down or stopped it.

That’s terrifying. Can you imagine being in that thing when all the sudden it just cracks apart and falls into the water? Holy shit.

Yikes this will probably impact the Baltimore Beltway's traffic for years
I'm waiting to see when and where the casualty took place in relation to the bridge, ships speed, tides ect...

...there are drills for loss of propulsion, training and inspections that are to be done on commercial vessels.
Boat lost propulsion as it was exiting the harbor

- Ship lost power after leaving the Port of Baltimore
- Crew informed authorities; and said there is a possibility of them colliding with the bridge
- Baltimore officials stopped traffic on the bridge before the collison
- Ship dropped anchor before collison.

Cargo ship that hit Baltimore bridge was involved in Antwerp collision in 2016​

The Dali was reportedly detained in Belgium after scraping side of quay and significantly damaging part of hull in good weather

The same vessel that hit the Baltimore Key Bridge on Tuesday, destroying it and sending people and vehicles tumbling into the water, was also involved in a collision while leaving the port of Antwerp, Belgium, in 2016.

According to Vessel Finder and the maritime incident archive Shipwrecklog, the Dali – a 948ft (290-meter) cargo ship with a capacity of 10,000 containers – was leaving the container terminal of Antwerp heading to Bremerhaven.

As it did so, its bow reportedly swung around, causing the stern to scrape the side of the quay, significantly damaging several meters of the hull.

The ship was reportedly detained by authorities afterward and docked in Deurganckdok, Belgium. There were reportedly no injuries or adverse pollution.

According to Vessel Finder the weather was fine at the time, and the incident was reportedly blamed on the ship’s master and pilot on board.

It is unclear what crew were aboard the ship. Vessel Finder said at the time that the ship, which was built in South Korea in 2015 by Hyundai Heavy Industries, was owned by the Greek company Oceanbulk Maritime but was chartered by Maersk.

The Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA) confirmed on Tuesday that the Dali was registered in Singapore and had 22 crew on board, with Maersk adding in a statement that the crew were all Indian but none of them were Maersk crew or personnel.

Maersk has been approached for comment.

About 2.6km of the Baltimore bridge collapsed on Tuesday when the Dali crashed into it, causing a number of vehicles to fall into the Patapsco River below. At least seven people were being searched for with two rescued, including one in critical condition, officials said on Tuesday at a pre-dawn press conference.
6f1307aad594e797f1f618f12281701d1ff8e215a21c144d0b607ed12577970e._RI_TTW_.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...e-bridge-ship-previous-collision-antwerp-2016

Ugh, why do I get the feeling we're gonna be learning about large shipping companies not maintaining their fleets well and sending sub-par ships to sea?

Scary shit. Probably one of my biggest fears is a bridge collapsing while driving on it. RIP to those that didn't make it.

I’m curious to hear if there was any attempt to drop anchor?

News coming out that they had enough to to warn the shore that they had lost control of the ship and the roads to the bridge were able to close and shut down any additional traffic onto the bridge.

Would the anchor have help if any?

- Ship lost power after leaving the Port of Baltimore
- Crew informed authorities; and said there is a possibility of them colliding with the bridge
- Baltimore officials stopped traffic on the bridge before the collison
- Ship dropped anchor before collison.

Strange that they stopped traffic but didn't get the construction crew off the bridge.

I’m curious to hear if there was any attempt to drop anchor?

News coming out that they had enough to to warn the shore that they had lost control of the ship and the roads to the bridge were able to close and shut down any additional traffic onto the bridge.

Would the anchor have help if any?

Someone posted above that they did drop anchor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mapichtli
Back